Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

wish_and_persist
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2017, 12:03 am

I am very stereotypical in a lot of ways, and I feel terrible about it sometimes. I see aspies work so hard to breakout the boxes, and prove that we aren't like that.... but yet I am. I hear people talk about "mild" autism constantly, hell even Temple G. and it's as though there can't be struggles...because it's mild or basically non-existent. I never feel like its mild... I always feel like it's impacting my life negatively and big time. I'm so sad tonight. 9 times out of 10 i'm happy with myself, but times like tonight I just hate how I am.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 10:18 am

I would say I am pretty stereotypical for my level of autism. I feel really discouraged about it at times.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 10:39 am

I'm a female aspie, and since they majority of NTs assume people on the spectrum are male or have the stereotypical traits of males, I'm not very stereotypical in their eyes. But I have many of the traits that are common for aspie females.

People seem to think that just because an aspie is "high-functioning", that they don't have any struggles or challenges at all. What rot. Just go on YouTube and watch one of those "cringe" videos, and see if people in the comments don't mention autism even once. People who clearly don't have a clue about it, although I once saw a comment saying "these people in the video are more autistic than I am".

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

24 May 2017, 11:21 am

In my diagnostic report the clinician used the word "stereotypical". I think I did fit some of the stereotypes when I was younger. I'm not so sure any more though.

everybody's playing the game
but nobody's rules are the same
nobody's on nobody's side

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 12:28 pm

I'm probably pretty stereotypical of a female in their twenties with HFA.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 3:42 pm

I don't think I'm very stereotypical.

I don't have any interest in Pokemon, Sonic the Hedgehog, My Little Pony, Star Wars/Trek, Minecraft, Doctor Who, or any other stuff like that what seem stereotypical among Aspies.

I don't hardly play any videogames.

I can communicate my feelings even during a meltdown.

I give hugs and I don't mind being touched, doesn't matter what mood I'm in.

I can lie if necessary.

I get uncomfortable in dark/dim-lit rooms and I prefer brightness.

I like summertime and longer days (most Aspies seem to like wintertime and shorter days). Also I am more sensitive to the cold.

I suck so badly at maths that I think I have the mathematical mind of a 7-year-old.

I look at most things from an illogical or emotional point of view. Also I'm more of a "grey thinker", not a black and white thinker.

I am only sensitive to certain noises, not general background noise (I wouldn't be seen dead going around with noise-cancelling headphones on!!)

I care about fitting in, and other people's thoughts and feelings matter to me. I don't like looking weird.

I have great awareness of what's going on around me.

I get emotional about illnesses and deaths and other upsetting things like that.

I am interested in other people and gossip.

I like to keep myself clean and well-groomed.

I am not incontinent, and I was fully potty-trained before I was 2.

I don't get too focused on interests and then forget to eat and go to the bathroom. I don't focus that well on anything, even my own interests.

I make eye contact.

I sleep well and at night time (I don't stay up all night).

I think the stereotypes I do have are:-

I don't care much for beauty. I like to fit in, but I'm not bothered about dyeing my hair, having tattoes or having piercings, and I don't wear much make-up only lipstick.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 8:23 pm

I think my main stereotypical behavior is that my interests are very focused and intense. For a female, I believe my interests are pretty typical: animals (particularly cats), literature, history and languages.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 3:28 am

Joe90 sounds more like someone with a personality​ disorder to me.

Even though I cannot, with any degree of certainty, discern what my level of functionality is, I would say I am quite stereotypical for someone with moderate autism.

I get lost in my thoughts a lot.

I am extremely isolated because of my social and emotional shortcomings.

I am a quiet guy, who has to use scripting in public a lot.

I don't find people as interesting as I believe I should do.

Whilst I have not had a 'special' interest in over three years, I do have very restricted interests in things, such as Man City and Twin Peaks. But I have never been particularly interested in computers, Star Wars, Pokémon etc.

I struggle to make eye contact with others and fail to recognise what's expected of me in social situations.

So yes, I would say I am fairly stereotypical.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:25 am

Quote:
Joe90 sounds more like someone with a personality​ disorder to me

I don't know much about personality disorders. I have been diagnosed with ADHD.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 1:36 pm

I embody so many negative stereotypes about autistic people (and maybe geeks) that it hurts. :|

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 4:21 pm

Pretty much stereotypical but I don't try to fit in or imitate others.
I'm quiet, in my own world, don't socialize except for family, have repetitive behaviors, don't like eye contact, I'm naïve, and not emotionally expressive.
It has impacted my life terribly in the past but I consider it mild autism.