Is there a way to put yourself on a section 8 before SSI?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 8:38 am

I'm a 21 year old single male (<and plan on staying that way) and i'm trying to get on SSI because of my disabilities: (Autism, Type 1 diabetes, ADHD, bi-polar disorder, borderline personality disorder).
However, I know when I get approved for SSI, i'm going to need to have subsidized housing, like housing that only charges 1/3rd of your income. I believe such a thing is called section 8 voucher.

I know there is a waiting list for it, but i know it's a very long waiting list and i'm just wondering, is there a way i could put myself on the waiting list before i get approved for SSI? and how would i go about that?

please help.

ALSO, here's are the places I'd want to live:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 8:56 am

SSI and Section 8 housing benefits are separate matters. So, you may apply for either or both if you choose. For Section 8 benefits, contact your local housing authority. Large cities and most counties have housing authorities.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 9:00 am

AspieUtah wrote:
SSI and Section 8 housing benefits are separate matters. So, you may apply for either or both if you choose. For Section 8 benefits, contact your local housing authority. Large cities and most counties have housing authorities.

my local housing authority? but i live in wisconsin right now and wanted to leave. would they help me get a voucher that would follow me when i move?
my adoptive parents are also going to be sending me down south to live in florida in a few months (which is a major state i wanted to live in) should i contact them then?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2017, 9:09 am

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

my local housing authority? but i live in wisconsin right now and wanted to leave. would they help me get a voucher that would follow me when i move?
my adoptive parents are also going to be sending me down south to live in florida in a few months (which is a major state i wanted to live in) should i contact them then?

Your local housing authority might help you with giving you contact information for your desired local authority. But, they could certainly tell you how to transfer or re-apply when you move. I amn't sure if housing authorities may transfer Section 8 benefits.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

28 May 2017, 9:34 am

ok i'll check :) thanks aspieUtah :)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 10:25 pm

You should apply at the housing authority of the area you want to live in. I don't know what your local housing authority is like, but my housing authority has a rule that people with Section 8 can't transfer it until they have used it to live in the local area for one year.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

29 May 2017, 10:45 pm

starkid wrote:
You should apply at the housing authority of the area you want to live in. I don't know what your local housing authority is like, but my housing authority has a rule that people with Section 8 can't transfer it until they have used it to live in the local area for one year.

yeah, i was thinking about calling once i move down to florida