Is it weird that I don't hate "evil" people?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 3:22 pm

itsme82 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
I have trouble with "Love thy enemy" - but I don't have to hate.

Anyone is free to demonstrate love -- positive action rather than negative emotion -- toward enemies as well as toward anyone else and for any reason, of course, but Scriptural commandments such as "Love your enemies" and "Do good to those who do evil to you" are about rising above mere emotions controlling our actions in order to bear witness of grace (unmerited favor) and willingness to forgive and try to help heal.

Nice idea but the "bad person" also has to want to heal. Has to be open for it. (Which isn't a trivial step.) Until then this won't work.

I am not talking about trying to make anything "work". I am only talking about not wasting energy and causing more overall sickness within society by hating. Showing compassion and demonstrating love means shedding a tear as the murderer (whether repentant or not) is put to death rather than spitting obscenities at him or her while cheering the executioner...and the understandable, circumstantial inability of the harmed or offended to do that in many cases -- "Be ye angry, and yet sin not: let not the sun go down upon your anger" (Ephesians 4:26) can at times be tough for anyone -- is why "an eye for an eye" at street level would be absolutely disastrous for everyone.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 5:41 pm

leejosepho wrote:
itsme82 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
I have trouble with "Love thy enemy" - but I don't have to hate.

Anyone is free to demonstrate love -- positive action rather than negative emotion -- toward enemies as well as toward anyone else and for any reason, of course, but Scriptural commandments such as "Love your enemies" and "Do good to those who do evil to you" are about rising above mere emotions controlling our actions in order to bear witness of grace (unmerited favor) and willingness to forgive and try to help heal.

Nice idea but the "bad person" also has to want to heal. Has to be open for it. (Which isn't a trivial step.) Until then this won't work.

I am not talking about trying to make anything "work". I am only talking about not wasting energy and causing more overall sickness within society by hating. Showing compassion and demonstrating love means shedding a tear as the murderer (whether repentant or not) is put to death rather than spitting obscenities at him or her while cheering the executioner...and the understandable, circumstantial inability of the harmed or offended to do that in many cases -- "Be ye angry, and yet sin not: let not the sun go down upon your anger" (Ephesians 4:26) can at times be tough for anyone -- is why "an eye for an eye" at street level would be absolutely disastrous for everyone.

In terms of wasting energy, I love those who are family and friends, and I hate those who harm me or the family or friends purposefully, while enjoying it. I find that there are several kinds of people, the average person (Who don't care about anything at all but themselves and their families, like it should be, and wants to live their life happily), the confused/tormented (Who has been hurt in the past and hurts others out of his or her own internal pain), and the sociopathic individual (Who has never, or might not have, experienced pain or suffering but wishes to bring it onto someone else because they lack any internal self, and they don't feel pain and don't know how to act mercifully). It's a waste of energy, but I find that if I hate the right people, I can conserve a MUCH larger amount of energy while being able to weed them out and avoid them than them actually coming and manipulating me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2017, 7:07 pm

I don't hate anyone thou there are some people I really dislike but I still don't wish bad things happen to them unless it's to stop them from harming others. Like I'd want serial killers to spend the rest of their lives in jail instead of being given the death penalty but that's because they are a very serious threat to society & I wouldn't want them to murder anyone else. I'd rather address the things that cause people to do bad. Like if the serial killer was schizophrenic & killed because he believed god wanted him to; he should be sent to a mental facility & given treatment & stay there until his condition is well controlled & then released.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 May 2017, 7:45 pm

nick007 wrote:
I don't hate anyone thou there are some people I really dislike but I still don't wish bad things happen to them unless it's to stop them from harming others. Like I'd want serial killers to spend the rest of their lives in jail instead of being given the death penalty but that's because they are a very serious threat to society & I wouldn't want them to murder anyone else. I'd rather address the things that cause people to do bad. Like if the serial killer was schizophrenic & killed because he believed god wanted him to; he should be sent to a mental facility & given treatment & stay there until his condition is well controlled & then released.

Tell that to someone who has a family member murdered by some psycho that got off on an insanity plea and was out in less than 5 years. Someone like that should never be free to go have a family of his own, people so sick that they kill should be put down as the humane thing to do. Murderers should hang.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 7:56 pm

"They" hate us for the most trivial and harmless reasons. Don't make eye contact? HATE! Collect unusual things? HATE! Prefer doing things by yourself? HATE! But we're not supposed to hate "them" for murdering and stealing and bullying? Oh sure, make perfect sense. :roll:

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 8:22 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
"They" hate us for the most trivial and harmless reasons. Don't make eye contact? HATE! Collect unusual things? HATE! Prefer doing things by yourself? HATE! But we're not supposed to hate "them" for murdering and stealing and bullying? Oh sure, make perfect sense. :roll:

Interesting and somewhat true, but I find there to be an INCREDIBLE amount of diversity amongst even the most "normal" neurotypicals. The kind of person you're describing is one which abandons their personality and uniqueness to conform to an ideal regulated and agreed to by themselves and their "archetype". The "Society" includes ALL of us, but these people band together and define ideals and disregard OUR ideals, and that's when the bullying happens, because we don't follow what they deem socially acceptable.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 6:52 am

Quote:
It's really for my own closure really. They feel no pain, they have no emotions, no thoughts, no desires. They want power, domination, victory. It's really all the same, and they're all the same. All sociopaths have a similar foundation. However, they do horrendous and damaging things to the majority. I value myself and others who are like me (Yea, big flaw in that sentence but I'll keep going) because I'm capable of empathy, of caring for others. I can spot a sociopath from a mile away now, I've had to deal with enough of them to become this good. And trust me, they're totally empty. They will cause you NOTHING but harm. I'm certainly not one of those "normal" people you talk of, but I am capable of seeing the harm they do. Killing millions, burning down a house, destroying property, social manipulation and domination, and enjoying it. I may be irrational, but there are VERY few areas which I approach so brashly. Hitler did nothing to most of us, we weren't even alive when he did his stuff. So should we leave his actions to the past and stop caring? I think we should continue hating him. And I also become disgusted when someone does something bad, whether it has an effect on me or not. I also don't see why we should treat everyone well. If someone comes up to me and starts being an as*hole in a grocery store with a snicker on their face because their friends decided to have a bet then I'm going to punch them in the face and move on, because they deserve to be put in line. I wouldn't do that to someone who's not asking for it.

I have to disagree with much of this. Even if someone is a sociopath, they are not all the same. Each is an individual. They may have similar characteristics due to their atypical neurology - but so do autistics. And we are not all the same, despite having similar traits. Generalization is, I have found, generally a bad idea. :wink: To claim that a sociopath has no thoughts is just incorrect. It is also a myth that all psychopaths are violent. They are not. Some are, true, but not all of them are this way.
Some of them may be destructive, but from my perspective that is still not enough of a reason for hate. Just caution, and adjustment of circumstances that involve them. Knowing their nature is what it is, and acting accordingly.
Take Hitler - there is no point hating the man. He is long dead. There is value, in my opinion, in learning what became of his beliefs and his behaviour, so as to prevent it happening again. From my perspective, hatred does not enter into this consideration. Just the knowing that comes from reflection on the history he helped create, to avoid repetitions.
I may also point out that others, like many autistics and especially many alexithymic autistics ( aka me on both counts) are also incapable of feeling empathy. Does this make such ones evil people, worth nothing but hate and violence? Because they are different, and lack what “humans” have?
I believe there are always other options than just retribution or retaliation. Take the grocery store aggressor - I would simply walk away. There would be no profit and only loss in me punching anyone in a grocery store, especially for something as irrelevant as snickering at me to their friends. I would have no interest in those people. Plus I would consider violence to be incorrect ethically, and thus avoid it, regardless of whether or not someone is "asking for it" according to my moral judgements. That's not the point - the justification is not enough.
Quote:
They are lowlifes because they cause immense harm, constantly and consistently. I haven't physically hurt anyone, and my hatred for them has been purely reactive. Watching them suffer would be graphic and horrible, but they would have no facial expression, they would demonstrate nothing. They lack any feelings but they're full of desire, to do the exact same thing back to us, and they wouldn't stop. I have certainly characterized them as this, and I will continue to do so until they are all gone, and I won't be the one to eliminate them but when they lack what makes one human it's hard to have the same empathy for them. I guess I can take back the enjoyment part, I wouldn't enjoy it, I would simply enjoy how much damage and stress I'm removing from the human race by picking out the bad people who are INCAPABLE of being good.

Hmm, well you did just claim they have no desires, then claim they are full of desires. I can't say I have had the same experiences with psychopaths - most of them that I have known have been ok in one is cautious, and aware of what they are and how to act according to that nature. I have not expected anything more or less than that. For example, I would not expect a psychopath to demonstrate affection for me, or guilt about damaging me, and thus I am not surprised when they don't. I am aware of their nature and act accordingly. It doesn't mean I like them or don't like them - but I tailor interactions with those ones to better suit their predatory natures. "Good" and "bad" are changeable, subjective moral judgements. We all have this perspective to a degree - I just don't agree with damning other people based on them.
Quote:
Good luck with this attitude in the military. A military wouldn't be functional with a lack of hierarchy. Or a less extreme example, at the workplace. Your manager who has the power wants you to do something and you don't see the point of it but you still have to do it. The manager does not have time to argue with you all day to explain and convince you what the point would be, and you have no right to demand that either. Again, ignoring hierarchy is not functional here.

I would not be involved with the military, so their preference for hierarchy seems irrelevant. As to the workplace - not agreeing with hierarchy does not exclude willing cooperation. For example, I work with a supervisor. She asks me to do a task, and I agree, because that is the best way to get the work done smoothly. If it wasn't, I would bring that up to question her, and I believe I have every right to do so. What I meant was I don't offer her any more respect on account of her position than I would any person in the street. I do treat everyone as respectfully as I can, regardless.
Quote:
As for equal treatment of all creatures. You have to ensure it is not at the expense of others. So this is not truly possible. You can't even ensure the basic human rights to be kept for everyone unless you are ok with doing so at the expense of others who did not deserve being negatively discriminated.

I'm not sure what you mean here. How would treating people equally be detrimental to anyone? How does this impact people who are discriminated against? In equal treatment, there is no discrimination.
Quote:
For this, same/similar example to you as to the other poster: if someone is a serial killer, do you treat them equally, that is, the exact same as the people that are targeted in future by the serial killer, or, for bigger contrast, some other person who's saved many other people's lives? If your answer is yes, you've managed to compromise these other people by acting at their expense. "At their expense" here is meant in a completely factual way, no emotional judgment here. For example, you treat the serial killer equally well by not locking them up to ensure they can't kill another person.

Ah, I think I understand what you're getting at here - if punishment is not meted out to offenders of serious crime, how can others be protected? This is a separate issue. The OP in this topic is discussing not hating people based on what they may have done. This doesn't mean their actions should have no consequences, in order to keep other people safe. But there does not have to be emotional hatred involved. Someone can be a convicted murderer, serving out a life sentence in jail. That is his punishment, and the way our societies have, at this point in our development, acted to ensure he doesn't hurt other people. But there is no need to hate him for it, nor any real use in it. Indeed, the law is supposed to be impartial.
Quote:
Again, hate and desire for revenge are evolutionarily useful evaluations for quickly knowing who to keep away to avoid harm or getting taken advantage of etc. Wishing and ensuring actual harm to them is also sensible if there is no other way to stop such people.

I disagree with this. Again, having a keen awareness of the nature of these people is all you need to be able to avoid the conditions you describe. There is no need for hate, nor a desire for revenge. Simply an awareness that they are as they are, and you must act accordingly, and stay away. One may act for self-preservation if directly attacked and it is the only way to save yourself, true. I wouldn't feel any justification in this however, nor pleasure at doing harm.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 9:22 am

C2V wrote:
...The OP in this topic is discussing not hating people based on what they may have done. This doesn't mean their actions should have no consequences, in order to keep other people safe. But there does not have to be emotional hatred involved...no need to hate...nor any real use in it. Indeed, the law is supposed to be impartial.

... There is no need for hate, nor a desire for revenge.

Yes, that is the point of all of this, and that is why it bothers me to see the offended giving hate speeches in court during sentencing. Sentences are to be determined by the crimes (and sometimes certain related circumstances), not by the amounts, depths or intensities of the emotions of the victims. At my own sentencing for a felony I committed as a bully-payback many years ago, the probation officer who had done my pre-sentence investigation was working quite hard at trashing me in the eyes of the judge and then the judge cut her off mid-sentence and essentially said he would listen to no more of that...and then gave me the most-lenient sentence Indiana law at that time (mid-70s) would allow. We all agreed a crime had been committed and there had been loss of property and wages justifying/requiring punitive action, but the judge rightly ignored all hatred and vengeance in favor of right action from within a healthy-minded, emotionally-stable dynamic.

Last edited by leejosepho on 30 May 2017, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 10:04 am

To me, anyone who identifies as "homo sapien" is automatically evil.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 10:45 pm

As I don't truly hate "evil" people... Like how I don't truly hate humans in general...
At worst, I simply do not trust them and go far away from them as possible. As I do the same with anyone regardless of who they are or what they do, no matter the intention or standing, whether it involves me or not.

So no, :lol: it's not weird for me at least for anyone not to hate evil people.

If I was given a choice to prevent, stop, or fight back, against such people, then I would.
But that does not mean I hate such people, no... I'd question it first before I give my own conclusion and eventually conclude what I really feel towards the person who did.

While I do dislike the act in general, it varies on the doer if I truly hate the person or not. I may to someone, I may not to another even if they did committed the same thing, sometimes even for the same reasons why they did.

In the end, who am I to judge another human? :twisted: I'm not much of an admirer either.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2017, 3:17 am

I'm kinda the same.
The only type of human being I hate are animal abusers. I have complete hatred for them, and in my world they would be punished by the electric chair.
I don't really hate "evil" people unless they are animal abusers.
In general I think humans are all pretty worthless, I don't consider a murderer to be any more worthless then your average person.

wtf

roger199
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2017, 4:58 am

Not all sociopaths and psychopaths do monstrous acts .These people are born with genetic deficits (in a peace time society ) warrior gene etc. Not saying they shouldn't be put down if they do bad enough crimes .Autistics mistakenly get perceived as sociopathic quite often due to our quirks . I like the idea of giving prisoner serving life access to euthanasia after a period of about 3 years for pragmatic purposes and keeping people under those conditions seems a bit twisted to me .

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:15 am

danieldoesnotexist wrote:
I'm kinda the same.
The only type of human being I hate are animal abusers. I have complete hatred for them, and in my world they would be punished by the electric chair.
I don't really hate "evil" people unless they are animal abusers.
In general I think humans are all pretty worthless, I don't consider a murderer to be any more worthless then your average person.

Same here.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 6:49 pm

I too find it hard to hate anyone.

With the exception of people who take innocent human lives. They're the only ones I hate with a passion.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~