29 is closing in and nothing is getting better for me

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 11:51 am

I will be 29 this summer but still no progress has been made for me in getting a girlfriend. I feel just as lost as I did when I was 17 and it feels like it will just continue to be that way. I've tried getting out of my rut in various ways; I get told not to give up but when you keep getting bad or disappointing results, it becomes discouraging to go on.

My therapist thinks I need to stop thinking so much about the girlfriend thing but I can't let it go. All I have left to look forward to is my death.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 3:02 pm

Ten years ago, I feared I would be in my late 20's and still single, no friends, and I still wouldn't have found my niche. I got caught in a vicious cycle and self-fulfilling prophecy.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 3:27 pm

I understand. The thing is, when there are things in life that we have no control over, it's best to focus on things that we can do and can control and get some satisfaction from.

I'm struggling to follow that advice myself at the moment. I just have no motivation. I'm just tired all the time.

I should start painting pictures again. I should also start doing my cross stitch again. And I think I'm going to buy a skateboard.

What do you like doing?

icechai
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2017, 6:58 pm

Hi Marknis,! So sorry to hear about this. I noticed a lot of the time, people meet their boyfriends or girlfriends in some kind of activity, such as school, or a hobby group or work. How often do you see other people during the week, and where do you see people? Maybe trying adding other activities in your life, so you have more chances to meet people, make some friends, and also find a gf hopefully.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:07 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I understand. The thing is, when there are things in life that we have no control over, it's best to focus on things that we can do and can control and get some satisfaction from.

I'm struggling to follow that advice myself at the moment. I just have no motivation. I'm just tired all the time.

I should start painting pictures again. I should also start doing my cross stitch again. And I think I'm going to buy a skateboard.

What do you like doing?

Much agreement here. Good stuff!

I started running last summer to prepare for running a 5k. Took some time off, getting back into it again. Now I'm training for 10k and running TWICE a day AND doing pushups. Just joined the YMCA today. Legs and arms are sore beyond belief and I LOVE it!! !

The best I can tell you is count the LITTLE victories. "I walked a mile today" is not really a big accomplishment...but maybe it's better than yesterday, which might have been nothing. Always take time to appreciate the little things, and CELEBRATE them. To me, that's the best motivator of all.

ShelbyRB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2017, 8:24 pm

I...honestly agree with your therapist here. While I could just tell you that "it's okay" or "you'll find the right one someday", it's true that being on the Spectrum makes it difficult to form romantic relationships.
But maybe you shouldn't give up on it so much as...change perspective a little. Try thinking about it from a slightly different angle. You say that you've "failed" at relationships before. What caused them to fail? What do you want out of a relationship?
And, if it helps, it's not just Aspies who have trouble with this. There's no "right" way to go about finding someone and everyone has different ways of doing it. Some people might meet up through shared interests. Other times, like with my parents, they meet through their job and mutual friendships. But one thing that's clear is that it's rarely easy to find a truly deep and meaningful relationship, which is why it is so valuable when you do find it.
Also, don't think of it as "failure". That's your first problem right there. Yes, from a biological standpoint, procreation is the whole "point" of life...but there's more to life than biology. If you are feeling unloved or simply looking for companionship, consider getting a pet or maybe joining a club with a shared interest. The latter is also a potential way to meet people and thus increase your odds of finding someone to date.
That's really all the advice I have for you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 9:02 pm

from one aspie to another, one should remember to be careful about what one wishes for. when i belatedly, very belatedly, in my fifth decade of living, finally got what i longed for, it was a mixed blessing, teaching me and reminding me why i ended up as a hermit in the first place. it aged me. high points but also low points that were devastating. some folk just don't have the right stuff for relationships. i sincerely hope the OP has better luck.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:15 pm

hurtloam wrote:
What do you like doing?

I lost all passion for the things I used to enjoy because I only failed at the things I used to wish I was better at.

icechai wrote:
Hi Marknis,! So sorry to hear about this. I noticed a lot of the time, people meet their boyfriends or girlfriends in some kind of activity, such as school, or a hobby group or work. How often do you see other people during the week, and where do you see people? Maybe trying adding other activities in your life, so you have more chances to meet people, make some friends, and also find a gf hopefully.

I work in a public job (public library) so I see people most of the week but they tend to be extremely rude. There are no places to go in the city I live in unless you drink and smoke excessively, worship football, enjoy country or rap music, and are a religious fanatic. The social scene here is extremely shallow.

ShelbyRB wrote:
I...honestly agree with your therapist here. While I could just tell you that "it's okay" or "you'll find the right one someday", it's true that being on the Spectrum makes it difficult to form romantic relationships.
But maybe you shouldn't give up on it so much as...change perspective a little. Try thinking about it from a slightly different angle. You say that you've "failed" at relationships before. What caused them to fail? What do you want out of a relationship?
And, if it helps, it's not just Aspies who have trouble with this. There's no "right" way to go about finding someone and everyone has different ways of doing it. Some people might meet up through shared interests. Other times, like with my parents, they meet through their job and mutual friendships. But one thing that's clear is that it's rarely easy to find a truly deep and meaningful relationship, which is why it is so valuable when you do find it.
Also, don't think of it as "failure". That's your first problem right there. Yes, from a biological standpoint, procreation is the whole "point" of life...but there's more to life than biology. If you are feeling unloved or simply looking for companionship, consider getting a pet or maybe joining a club with a shared interest. The latter is also a potential way to meet people and thus increase your odds of finding someone to date.
That's really all the advice I have for you.

It's more that I've failed to establish any relationships (except for one and it was short lived); I just can't seem to do anything right. I failed at cold approaching, online dating, and speed dating. I feel like women hate me and nothing I do will ever change that.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
from one aspie to another, one should remember to be careful about what one wishes for. when i belatedly, very belatedly, in my fifth decade of living, finally got what i longed for, it was a mixed blessing, teaching me and reminding me why i ended up as a hermit in the first place. it aged me. high points but also low points that were devastating. some folk just don't have the right stuff for relationships. i sincerely hope the OP has better luck.

I am about to enter my third decade and I already feel old.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 12:52 am

Marknis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i hope you don't make my mistakes. all I can say, is that i hope while you are still young, that you get your issues definitively dealt with if you possibly can, that means more effective therapy than what you are getting now, and LOTS of social homework on body language and emotional intelligence and Theory Of Mind. AVOID ALL "game" merchants who tell you that you can be/have to be a "player" also, they are selling a meme that cheapens human life. i hope you can make all this your first priority, your ONLY priority. I know this seems a major hassle especially considering that most NT folk take all this for granted, but us aspies always have had to work twice as hard as NTs to get half as far. don't make my mistake of doing the same things yet expecting different results. learn, unlike me, to think outside of your box. if you wait until you're my age, that is hopelessly too late.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 12:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Marknis wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i hope you don't make my mistakes. all I can say, is that i hope while you are still young, that you get your issues definitively dealt with if you possibly can, that means more effective therapy than what you are getting now, and LOTS of social homework on body language and emotional intelligence and Theory Of Mind. AVOID ALL "game" merchants who tell you that you can be/have to be a "player" also, they are selling a meme that cheapens human life. i hope you can make all this your first priority, your ONLY priority. I know this seems a major hassle especially considering that most NT folk take all this for granted, but us aspies always have had to work twice as hard as NTs to get half as far. don't make my mistake of doing the same things yet expecting different results. learn, unlike me, to think outside of your box. if you wait until you're my age, that is hopelessly too late.

I fortunately never bought into PUA or "player" nonsense. Unless you have ridiculously good looks and unwavering confidence, it will never work.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2017, 1:18 pm

Marknis wrote:
All I have left to look forward to is my death.

We all have death to look forward to. How you fill the time between now and then is entirely up to you. My advice would be to take off and travel the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnVTzufqQ6Y

Give yourself a new perspective on life.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

I am always doing things alone or doing something that I can't avoid due to family. I never get to do anything with a special partner while I am surrounded by people who get to do so.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 9:37 pm

all my life i've had to do stuff alone.

JamiLynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2017, 10:13 pm

I understand how you feel, Marknis. I just turned 28, and I've been working for the public library for over 10 years -- that's a long time! I tend to look at other people my age, scratch my head and wonder, "Why am I still single and living at home with my parents? How come I haven't 'moved on' with my life?" I always wonder if I'll die a virgin, never having met that special man that I want to share my entire life with, and the social awkwardness that comes with being an Aspie doesn't provide much comfort. Heck, I just got out of a relationship with a great guy, and I don't feel too good about it, either.

However, just like a former therapist told me to do, my advice to you is this: everyday, write down at least one thing you are grateful for. Life, shelter, WrongPlanet, bumblebees, the smell of gasoline -- whatever it is that makes you smile, grin, or chuckle. I know it's easier said than done, but just remember: things could always be worse than they are now. And I know things seem very bleak right now, but I agree that changing your perspective will help. Try to find the small things in life that make life worth celebrating - whether or not you find a special girl to share your life with.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 9:18 am

JamiLynn wrote:
I understand how you feel, Marknis. I just turned 28, and I've been working for the public library for over 10 years -- that's a long time! I tend to look at other people my age, scratch my head and wonder, "Why am I still single and living at home with my parents? How come I haven't 'moved on' with my life?" I always wonder if I'll die a virgin, never having met that special man that I want to share my entire life with, and the social awkwardness that comes with being an Aspie doesn't provide much comfort. Heck, I just got out of a relationship with a great guy, and I don't feel too good about it, either.

However, just like a former therapist told me to do, my advice to you is this: everyday, write down at least one thing you are grateful for. Life, shelter, WrongPlanet, bumblebees, the smell of gasoline -- whatever it is that makes you smile, grin, or chuckle. I know it's easier said than done, but just remember: things could always be worse than they are now. And I know things seem very bleak right now, but I agree that changing your perspective will help. Try to find the small things in life that make life worth celebrating - whether or not you find a special girl to share your life with.

Wow, I've been working at a public library for 10 years as well and I still live with my mother! Coincidence?

I've been told my emotional attitudes on my situation are the biggest problems I have. My mind tends to compare my life with other people's lives and I am scared of my time to get into a relationship running out.