Which word do you prefer, disorder or disability?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 9:12 am

Both are bad in their own way. A disability conveys limits, while a disorder seems to indicate to many that you're crazy. I would say I'm different, not necessarily disabled.

razzio
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

I don’t see autism has a disability or disorder its different way of thinking.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 2:37 pm

I'm really not trying to play the victim card. I am not complaining at you, per se, but disorder and disability are both loaded words, with negative connotations.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 2:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What the heck?

Put 'em both in my shopping basket! :D

I could use both a disorder, and a disability!

a disordability

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 2:43 pm

This order. This ability. :jester:

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2017, 12:35 am

NEITHER
I AM A HIGHER POWER.

Higurashi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2017, 2:45 pm

I prefer disorder.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:10 pm

What if "AS" and "NT" people both existed in a 50/50 ratio?

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 4:56 am

I will go with Simon Baron Cohen with "Condition" as a neutral starting term. There are parts which can become strengths and it would be a shame to pathologise them.

Disability. Other contributors have given accounts of the way parts of their profile stand in the way of a full life; employment, ability to live independently, obstructions to finding fulfilling relations with others. That term is needed as well. It is that important key word needed for access of adjustments, financial assistance, access to suitable housing, etc.

Disorder ? I am most ambivalent to this one. Again it is one of those key words with a particular meaning, in particular regarding inclusion in reference documentation such as the DSM and ICD. Don't like it personally - implies being not to spec or broken in the way condition does not, but then the criteria in such reference books are around the judgement calls on whether the effects of the condition are severe enough to disable the person and require support measures.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 6:11 am

I'm fine with disorder, disability, condition, syndrome, whatever. The only psychiatric label I find derogatory is 'personality disorder' (I'm bordering on schizoid and schizotypal) - and I'd prefer leaving 'personality' out of it, and just calling it schizoid disorder, or schizotypal disorder. I would find 'autistic personality disorder' equally derogatory, as if the main problem is that we annoy other people, not that we have cognitive, sensory, and functioning issues that we struggle with.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:05 am

If this means that i am getting a little more respect from some of the NTs, i couldn't care less about the terminology being used.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 8:20 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
I will go with Simon Baron Cohen with "Condition" as a neutral starting term. There are parts which can become strengths and it would be a shame to pathologise them.

Disability. Other contributors have given accounts of the way parts of their profile stand in the way of a full life; employment, ability to live independently, obstructions to finding fulfilling relations with others. That term is needed as well. It is that important key word needed for access of adjustments, financial assistance, access to suitable housing, etc.

Disorder ? I am most ambivalent to this one. Again it is one of those key words with a particular meaning, in particular regarding inclusion in reference documentation such as the DSM and ICD. Don't like it personally - implies being not to spec or broken in the way condition does not, but then the criteria in such reference books are around the judgement calls on whether the effects of the condition are severe enough to disable the person and require support measures.

Actually, pretty much agree.

On a purely emotional level "condition" is the best because it's neutral. Dandruff is a "condition".

But for practical reasons I welcome "disability" because I could, if needed, get assistance from the govt. etc, in employment etc. for having it as a label. And even emotionally its not THAT bad. It is kinda accurate without being overly insulting. In contrast to what someone said above "disability" does not imply "all or nothing" to me. Its doesn't necessarily mean that you need 24-7 care. There can be gradations in disability.

"Disorder" on the other hand, is a bit much. Applied to a neurological condition (mental disorder) it implies that your head is scrambled. That's a bit much.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
"Disorder" on the other hand, is a bit much. Applied to a neurological condition (mental disorder) it implies that your head is scrambled. That's a bit much.

My head is scrambled. (I also feel that 'mental illness' applies to me, due to co-morbid conditions.) I would agree that it's a matter of accuracy - if the statement is accurate, then I don't find it offensive.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm

I warned people of the content, so they would not see it, if they would not be interested. The moral of the story was no shame.