Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 7:34 am

I actually had to Google this subject to know when someone is taking advantage of you. I've never been able to tell when this happens until someone tells me.

Does anyone have family members that use or take advantage of them? I have one, and it's the most annoying thing in my life right now. The constant reminder of it is the same feeling I get when my nails scrape against paper (like 'nails on a chalkboard' for some). Like I need to be committed, and only then will I have peace.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jun 2017, 4:03 am

What exactly is happening? Maybe you should protest at some point.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 8:25 am

:| I really don't want to go into this. So I'll be brief.

My brother is a selfish, spoiled 30 year old child, and he's the only boy so my father coddles him. He is ungrateful, never says "thank you" or shows appreciation. He has no consideration for others and doesn't even clean up after himself. (He'll clean his room, just not anything else.)

I don't want to spend all day writing about him; I'm annoyed enough. I'd rather hear the experiences of others.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 6:06 pm

Some of my family members took advantage of me, and now the other people are taking advantage of them.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 6:23 pm

I can sort of relate to your brother, though I genuinely don't have the capacity to show appreciation because most of my childhood has left me with mental scars that resulted from neglect from a certain step-parent who didn't (and still doesn't) look after my interests and sees all the negatives in me and expects me to be the big brother (being the eldest sibling) and take such responsibilities such as supporting younger siblings / parents with rent and so on. The only thing I can think of to my defense would be I have a simpler mind, and it hasn't fully developed into an adults quite yet.

So, i'm not sure if your brother is on the spectrum himself - if he is, i'd exercise some restraint because he may not be aware of what impact it's having on you.
Strange enough at 25 I feel like i'm still a teenager because I really do get treated like one: no job, holed up in bedroom, everything handed to you for free. But at the same time they are reluctant to help me because either they realise i'm a lost cause or they see i'm old enough to make my own decisions.

jcCoolidgejr.

27 Jun 2017, 1:57 am

Ya. My older brother is a really charadmatic guy so he sort of expects things for people and his charm really doesn't work on me. I love him and try to help him, but if I don't do what he wants he gets really mad and aggressive.