Dealing with insults about your looks from strangers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sometime World
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2017, 5:25 am

I walked into the pool room of a bar the other day and two young women about 25-ish went "ew.. no way!". There was nobody else around (it was lunchtime on a work day) and it was aimed at me. I'm not stupid so don't tell me "they may not have been talking about you" or whatever. I wasn't dressed scruffy, I'm not overweight or scrawny like I used to be in my teens and early 20's.

Have had this insult "ew" several times in my life, including a housemate in my student flat at my first year at Uni.
Again I walked into the student living room and she said "ew". Her female friend sitting next to her quietly said "that was a bit harsh, [insert girls name]". That girl in my student flat seemed to have a problem with my looks, even though I never hit on her. I was not interested in her in anyway! A total b***h that one.

I've had it from complete strangers in the street, on nights out, in shops and from a female work colleague as well. I estimate its happened well over 60 times in my 39 years.

Should you ignore it or have a comeback? I feel I need to be assertive as I always let this s**t slide and it did eat me up as I always struggled in dating and have never felt desirable because of events like this. You just retreat back home and you have nobody. And why do people (especially young females) feel the need to go "ew". What is their psychological process and reasoning? Are they looking for a reaction?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 6:10 am

They were probably drunk or on their way to it. Think about all your accomplishments and good characteristics. Choose three that you are really proud about. When knuckle-dragging rodeo clowns say or do anything about you, remind yourself of your legitimate achievements while comparing yourself to them and their behaviors. The contrast will make you shine. You will feel satisfied without resorting to ridiculing them.

In my own opinion, crass women are among the most disgusting creatures around. They can't compete in the real world so they imagine themselves as witty as Roseanne Barr while exposing themselves as Kathy Griffin. They aren't worth a glance.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

Sounded like a bunch of idiots. Perhaps, like Utah said, they were in some degree of intoxication.

Just ignore those idiots. They were probably looking for a fight.