Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

TheMQ
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2017, 8:39 am

Hi everyone.

I really don't know if this is the right place for this, but I really don't know where else to turn. Durning a conversation I (25) had today with my mother (about ADD, and if I might have it), she droped on me that I was diagnosed with Aspergers as a kid.

I have no idea how to react to this. I'm so lost right now, I don't really know how to feel. It makes a lot of sense, as I'm that particular sort of odd duck, but untill now I though that was all me, and now... I don't know.

I'm kind of pissed with my mum, as I asked her whether there was anything wrong with me while I was growing up, multiple times. This is the sort of thing I meant, and she waits till now to tell me? I could have been getting help during that time! I've gone through struggling with school, with people, through 7 years of suicidal depression and NOW I find this out?

I really don't know where to turn here. If this is not the right place for this sort of thing I'll bounce. But at this point, I think I just needed to say something to someone, because I'm so lost right now, I really don't know how to proceed.

VioletFirth
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jun 2017, 1:18 pm

Welcome. I think you are in the right place and I'm sorry she hid those things from you. Some people find comfort in having the diagnosis confirmed to be able to label things and develop who they are separate from aspergers. Or at least I try to. I am not wholly aspergers. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. :heart:

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

Scheisse! That's rough! I'm so sorry you had to hear it like this....I reckon she could have told you a bit sooner, yeah.

This is certainly the right place if it is a community of like-minded people you are looking for. I find it helps an awful lot during the dark times to talk to people who share your struggles.

A piece of advice: everyone is different. Spend some time getting to know yourself, which autistic traits fit you and which don't.

Welcome :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 3:51 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

Bienvenue.

Lost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2017, 4:07 am

Hi, you've come to the right place and there are plenty of people here who you can talk to about this.
Just remember the diagnosis doesn't really change who you are now it just helps to explain why things that seem to be easy for other people are so hard for you.

If you are seeing anyone about mental health issues it is important that they know about the diagnosis as it will determine the proper approach to treatment, otherwise they will attempt to treat the obvious symptoms without looking at the underlying cause.