Stop assuming God's gender! Check your privilege!

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm

In the past, some Christians (particularly liberal Christians) have told me that God is neither male nor female. We just say "he" because that's traditional.

Here's the thing: What are God's preferred pronouns? If God still talks to us, shouldn't he/she/zhe/they tell us his/her/zhir/their preferred pronouns?

We all know that humans are sinners, but we are also microaggressors who won't stop triggering God by assuming his/her/zhir/their gender. We'd better be careful because God flooded the earth last time the cis scum misgendered him/her/zhir/them.

Discuss.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 9:34 pm

I am male, I assure you.

There Are Four Lights!

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

He/she isn't real.

Enjoy your life.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 9:53 pm

When God reveals to me the pronoun (or for that matter, the proper noun) by which Godself prefers to be called, I will use it religiously.

Until then, God will probably continue to be referred to as God, The God Who Is God, Him, and [God] by the human who is me.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 9:56 pm

What the devil is a "microaggressor"? When I type that word in I get a long, red squiggly line underneath it, so I know that the computer doesn't recognise it. Did you just make that up?

As for God (or 'god', or 'gawd') having a gender... well, that idea may exist in many traditional religious texts like the Bible, but if there actually is a transcendent entity/reality/whathaveyou beyond what we puny humans can detect, I can assure you that this 'thing', whatever it may be, will NOT have a gender.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

"C.I.S."??? Commonwealth of Independent States? What does that have to do with 'God'?

"Zhe"? Is that a Chinaman? A sneeze?

I'm really lost here, your post makes no sense at all.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 10:55 pm

Lintar wrote:
"C.I.S."??? Commonwealth of Independent States? What does that have to do with 'God'?

I see. You are almost 50.

I'm just using terminology that the trans community uses. You have no idea what younger guys are going through. :(

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2017, 11:57 pm

Lintar wrote:
What the devil is a "microaggressor"? When I type that word in I get a long, red squiggly line underneath it, so I know that the computer doesn't recognise it. Did you just make that up?

i can forgive you for not being up to date on the hip new lingo. you and your internet browser. not an excuse to not look things up though:

a microagressor is an object, word or person that causes a microagression:

Merriam Webster wrote:
a comment or action that subtly and often unconsciously or unintentionally expresses a prejudiced attitude toward a member of a marginalized group (such as a racial minority)
* A digital photo project run by a Fordham University student about “racial microaggressions” features minority students holding up signs with comments like “You're really pretty … for a dark-skin girl.” — Jinnie Spiegler

*There is a real and worthy conversation taking place in this country now, particularly among young people, around the idea of microaggressions—slight, often unintended discriminatory comments or behaviors. — Charles M. Blow

; also : behavior or speech that is characterized by such comments or actions

*… argues that the power of microaggression lies in its invisibility to the perpetrator, who typically finds it difficult to believe that he or she possesses biased attitudes. — Emily Skop

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... aggression

Wikipedia wrote:
A microaggression is the casual degradation of any marginalized group...... Eventually, the term came to encompass the casual degradation of any socially marginalized group, such as the poor or the disabled. Psychologist Derald Wing Sue defines microaggressions as "brief, everyday exchanges that send denigrating messages to certain individuals because of their group membership".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression

sounds like a bunch of BS at times, there i can agree.

Quote:
As for God (or 'god', or 'gawd') having a gender... well, that idea may exist in many traditional religious texts like the Bible, but if there actually is a transcendent entity/reality/whathaveyou beyond what we puny humans can detect, I can assure you that this 'thing', whatever it may be, will NOT have a gender.

i don't think gender/sex is fitting for a deity like God, if those words and concepts were originally used in a biological sense, ie reproduction.

pretty sure god doesn't need to reproduce. what i want to know is why people refer to Him as HIM in the first place?

i also find it curious that some romance language speakers use "tu", or variants of it, when referencing God instead of the more traditionally formal "vous". i'd have thought it as the other way around.

not sure what's left to discuss.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 2:48 am

Lintar wrote:

cis is the opposite of trans (as in transsexual ).

Zhe (my guess is) that its neither he nor she.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 2:52 am

You don't know the half of it.

We not only assume that God is a certain gender, but also that he is of a certain species. Human. And that he is a mammal, and that he is a vertebrate. In reality God is of the phylum annelida.

God is actually a giant earth worm. And each earth worm has the sex organs of both species. So God is both a he and a she.

All of the cisgender, and cisspecies scum keep on offending God night and day with their verbal microagressions.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 3:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
We not only assume that God is a certain gender, but also that he is of a certain species. Human. And that he is a mammal, and that he is a vertebrate. In reality God is of the phylum annelida.

weren't humans "made in His image" though?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 3:55 am

Wouldn't it depend on how the pronouns are written and used in Hebrew?

Also god is called father throughout bible.

And far as I know the word god itself isn't used in Hebrew and was originally a title for the pegan deity Wotan.

So looks like it's all about understanding ancient languages.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 7:57 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

weren't humans "made in His image" though?

Humans made a god in our own image. We worship ourselves.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jun 2017, 8:24 am

God made man out of his own image and then created women out of man's rib

Genesis 2:20-23

Quote:
20, And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

21, And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22, And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her to the man.

23, And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Last edited by Jacoby on 08 Jun 2017, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 8:29 am

Jacoby wrote:

Genesis 2:23
Quote:
And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

It's a book written by humans. There is nothing of the divine in it.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jun 2017, 8:35 am

androbot01 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Genesis 2:23
Quote:
And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

It's a book written by humans. There is nothing of the divine in it.

I don't care what people believe is true or not but as far as the Abrahamic religions go it is pretty clear about God creating man in his image and then creating women from man.