When parent and child are both psychopaths

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 6:37 am

If a parent and child are both psychopaths, how might the relationship turn out?

There is stuff written about a NT parent and a psychopathic child, or a NT child with a psychopathic parent. But I have not seen anything about when both the parent and child are psychopaths.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2017, 9:30 am

I've heard it said that it's a combination of genes and enviroment, but that the parent providing the genes often also provides the environment.

Sociopathic traits exist on a scale, but it seems childhood trauma can exacerbated these traits. I know a child with traits, among them a facility with lying that is quite uncommon among small children. I think it would be easier for them to be a nice person if the adults in their life were more kind, and life was more predictable.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 4:43 am

I knew a guy who was a psychopath, as was his father. They didn't have a relationship. There was no basis for one - neither felt anything for the other, and had no use for each other and nothing to gain, so there was no point in any relationship. Both understood this as perfectly acceptable, as it also seemed to me when told. It had been years since he had seen or heard anything from his father and he didn't care at all. No resentment, no feeling at all.