Do people like people who look wealthy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 11:07 am

I'm genuinely confused about this. What are people's opinions? Is looking fashionable and for example having things like a gold or silver watch, the latest fashions, is that attractive to other people or does it make them jealous/repel them?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 11:52 am

The most wealthiest people I know. Dress in jeans and shirt, drive older cars. Probably wear a Rolex, but their not exactly expensive and hold value well. The people I know who wear designer clothes are usually high in debt, with little income.

My personal opinion, I can care less what people wear and only clean.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 11:55 am

People who are secure in their "richness" do not flaunt their wealth. They probably wouldn't drive old cars, though. They'd probably drive "functional" cars like Toyota/Honda/Ford or whatever, rather than Lamborghinis. They, too, want to get from point A to Point B safely.

It's the "up-and-comers" or the "Nouveau Riche" who tend to dress flashily, and drive fancy cars.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 1:00 pm

I agree with the idea that the flashy dressers are not always the truly wealthy people, although there are some rich people who do have the wealth but also dress like they want everyone to know it, as there is a "fashion" at the moment for both the rich and the poor to look like that.

Way back in the 1970s, however, when the prevailing fashion was to look like a hippy, my sister had a friend who worked at Harrods, the London department store that is notorious for being the place where genuinely wealthy people like to shop.

This friend was trained by Harrods staff to be a store assistant, and part of what they were instructed at that time, apparently, was to treat everyone as though they might be wealthy, and never make a snap decision someone wasn't, if they came in wearing tatty old jeans or otherwise looking like they didn't have money, because -- as someone here said -- they just might be the super-rich ones, not the "poor people." Particularly at that time when the young members of the rich elite wanted to just look like a hippy.

Not to say someone at Harrods might still look down their nose at a customer, lol, but apparently the warning not to be so sure going by someone's clothes was something my family friend was told in training.

In the world in general, I seem to notice that people respond positively to someone who at least looks "pulled together" in their clothing and appearance, coordinated at least. And more negative assumptions are made when the opposite is the case.

Sometimes within the same day I seem to notice strangers treating me better or worse just based on make-up on or no makeup! Which isn't right.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 1:27 pm

There are a few nuances here, in my opinion; there is dressing well, there is dressing fashionable, and there is dressing wealthy. Some overlap, but none completely.

Dressing in broken or dirty clothing probably isn't going to win you any friends for that reason, but neither is refusing to wear anything not emblazoned with a gaudy GUCCI logo, nor is anyone worth keeping around going to shun you because you failed to wear the particular shade of beige that is "in" this season. A healthy middle-ground along with some personality to your style will go a long way.

I personally threw out almost my entire wardrobe no more than a year ago because I decided some change was due. My new wardrobe is primarily brand/designer clothing, and I didn't break the bank buying it; I found an online store that specializes in second-hand clothing, and with some patience and a discerning eye, I pretty much rebuilt my wardrobe. Along the line I found a few brands I particularly like, and some I don't care for at all, which is very useful for future shopping needs. I also took to wearing ties and watches, because accessorizing can be fun, so long as it's on your own terms.

I like to think I fall under "dressing well". Certain things are worth splurging a little extra on (cough leather jacket cough), but very few things are going to be inherently "better" because they are pricier.

As for dressing wealthy...well, there's a reason why there is a huge market around knock-off Guccis and Rolexes, and it isn't because those brands just look so much better than others.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2017, 2:31 pm

I think it depends on where you live. "Some" societies are very judgemental about how a person dresses and if they think you're wearing "poor people's" clothes, like something you got at Walmart or Sears, they're cruel and nasty to you. Even kids. Maybe especially kids, at school, because children are cruel by nature. Even where I live there are kids who have been bullied because they were drinking a store-brand can of pop or wore a pair of sneakers that wasn't an expensive brand name, and then the bullied kids never wanted to have anything to do with those products again, even if they really did like them. :(

I really don't care what a person wears. As long as they're not really dirty, smelly, inappropriate for the weather or very sexually revealing. :)