Merkel 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
Wild Card 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 10:24 am

He doesn't give two craps.

We were a "superior" country because we were a haven for immigrants seeking a better life. The Statue of Liberty has been a symbol of peoples' aspirations since about 1886 or so.

Trump wants to destroy this----to make us a mere competitor in the world. To lessen our quality. To make us "just another schmuck nation."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 10:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

We were a "superior" country because we were a haven for immigrants seeking a better life. The Statue of Liberty has been a symbol of peoples' aspirations since about 1886 or so.

Trump wants to destroy this----to make us a mere competitor in the world. To lessen our quality. To make us "just another schmuck nation."

He does not believe we are or have ever been a superior country.
Trump defends Putin: 'You think our country's so innocent?'

He believes it is a "dog eat dog" world of winners and losers, every person is only out for themselves. His staff is the same way that is why there has been an unprecedented amount of leaks to the "enemy" media.

Back on topic, I do not think there is going to be a true leader free world or otherwise for awhile. All Empires fall now it is our time. Trump is not the problem he is a symptom of America's fall.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Jun 2017, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 11:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

In 1886 and beyond, the US restricted immigration to the "right people".

That's why Muslims are only a tiny % of people in the US presently.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Jun 2017, 11:22 am

Not strictly "Western" but Trump's weakness has really strengthened China's global standing. First trade policy, then climate change. If world leaders had to elect someone to speak to the aliens then I reckon Xi is the successor to Obama.

If we stick to Westerners (although by the traditional definition, East German Merkel is not a Westerner... whatever) then Merkel has been around a lot longer than Trudeau and Macron, which gives her stature but also means she is relatively weak domestically. I think Macron's triumph has strengthened her significantly but she isn't going to be able to match his level of domestic strength after their respective elections.

Trudeau is weakened because he's not in the EU. Canada is relatively isolated and so has reduced scope for co-operation, particularly with the US being in its current state. Canada is also a relatively small economy compared to France and Germany.

May has no interest in foreign affairs and certainly not in global leadership. She can barely lead her own party. Plus she's following in the British tradition of just doing whatever the US president says.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 11:34 am

Especially after 1924, the US restricted immigration to the "right people."

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 11:40 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Not strictly "Western" but Trump's weakness has really strengthened China's global standing. First trade policy, then climate change. If world leaders had to elect someone to speak to the aliens then I reckon Xi is the successor to Obama. ...

That's an interesting thought.

Wikipedia: Xi Jinping

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 11:42 am

China is still seen as being a nationalist and ethnically-exclusive nation. They are also seen as being a totalitarian society. They are not seen as the exemplar of the "advanced nation."

They might assume some sort of "world leadership," in some sense--but not in the sense of the US in the 40's and 50's.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 12:07 am

Misslizard wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
It may be true that 95% of Americans have no idea who Merkel is.But this poll is on WP,and I'd guess that 95% of posters on this forum are well aware of who Merkel is.I voted for new blood,l like Macron.

Do you think any of them actually wants the job?

I doubt it. And I think based on history the UK would be the only one qualified. So May of course. Americans have much less trouble knowing who the PM of the UK is.

Who would?Maybe a megalomaniac,and we already have one of those in charge of this country.I don't want him in charge of anything,but oh well.Nothing I can do about it,just have to see what happens on down the road and hope for the best.

Realistically the POTUS will always be placed/forced into that position. Ironically by all those who complain about the United States' involvement in world affairs. And the so called "megalomaniac" is wanting to distance himself and his nation from that role - which of course is receiving lots of complaints.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 12:26 am

Well, here's just the latest example of Trump's atrocities against our planet: http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/us-ca ... -1.4157124

If Americans should continue to choose to support such a moron/sadist, maybe it's high time the rest of the world take away some of the power the US has held onto for far too long. I'd rather someone who doesn't represent hate and prejudice and a blatant disregard for the species we share this planet with hold more power and influence. The rest of the world doesn't like Trump so we shouldn't have to stand for his BS.

As a Canadian, I'd love to say Trudeau could represent the Western world, but we honestly don't have enough power and influence as a country. Plus, the only other world leader who I think has the stones to lead us, and stick it to Trump is Angela Merkel. I have my reservations about her but there must be a reason why she's been re-elected time and again, and holds a lot of power over not only Germany, but the entire EU.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:41 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
This poll is dumb.

95% of Americans wouldn't even know what a "Merkel" is.

Likely, most think it's like a small, furry animal like a wolverine.

...and about 95% (precisely 96, actually) of the people who live on this planet are not from the United States.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:44 am

To most of us (i.e. non-United Statesians), the term "Leader of the Free World" means that those who live in the U.S. now consider themselves to be our imperial overlords. Well, no, you're not, and never will be.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:46 am

StinkyDog wrote:

At least Bill Maher is funny (most of the time), and on this issue he is 100% right. Then again, most Australians are pretty stupid too.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:53 am

Well you forgot May, but at the moment I would have to say it is Macron anyway in part because I think he is great. He leads what is probably the second most militarized and strongest power in the western world and with it has immense power.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 1:59 am

EzraS wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
This poll is dumb.

95% of Americans wouldn't even know what a "Merkel" is.

Likely, most think it's like a small, furry animal like a wolverine.

I've read people whining over Americans not knowing who the leader of their little country is. But what do they expect when their leader does little outside of running their little country and their little country does little outside of looking after its own interests.

I think a fun game for America to play with these countries is, "what were you doing during WWII?" Virtually nothing? Being occupied? Or... well I won't go there.

The war ended over 50 years before you were born! Do you feel oppressed by the Ottoman Empire, as well?

I can't say whether Merkel or Macron will lead Europe. Maybe the European Parliament will gain power.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 2:03 am

A sadist who's committing atrocities against the planet is a typical example of gross overexaggeration.

The United States has been in power due to the lack of any western nation coming anywhere close to obtaining that level of power because of depending on the US to do the lion's share of taking care of everything.

The entire EU combined probably only contributes about a tenth of what the US does financially, militarily and hands on involvement. Trump along with every other POTUS does ten times more than Merkel, Macron, Xi Jinping and especially Trudeau/Canada combined. And the threat is supposedly maybe they'll start pitching in? Good, let them. Let them save the whales for a change. I would love to see action instead of just a lot of complaints.

Last edited by EzraS on 13 Jun 2017, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.