Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 May 2007, 12:48 pm

I just finished a blog on my unusual way of walking and the particulars of it. When I read that an odd gait (among other motor skill problems) was sometimes a factor of AS I was elated. At least I had a good excuse now. Maybe also for the way I have a hard time keeping my hands steady. Best example being trying to look through binoculars. Very difficult for me to keep the image clear enough for satisfaction. But it's not so poor as to affect less delicate hand intensive things like video games or sports.

Can anyone here relate to this or what I wrote in my blog?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 1:05 pm

I walk on my toes alot. When I walk flat-footed I tend to shuffle clumsily....Sometimes I keep my arms kinda far up closer to my chest. There is something decidely jerky and juvenile to to the way I move.

Error

25 May 2007, 1:16 pm

Shuffling is something I tend to do if I try altering my 'natural' way of walking. If you say me trying to engage my hips more you'd probably crack up. I go right into swinging my butt typified with girls. So between the two I stick with stiff and unengaged hips I guess. But my arms don't swing very much unless I make them and that probably looks pretty odd also. Very little swing to my upper torso in general.

Oh, my style also doesn't work well with inclines. When I walk over a rise in terrain I have a nasty tendency to stub my foot and stumble a bit.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 1:39 pm

i commented in the blog, me its a walk that makes people think i have to go to the bathroom (or already just did in my pants) or its a shuffle, i have almost fell from not picking my feet up high enough off the ground to clear a crack in sidewalk or other stuff, depth perception and since as can effect the motor development i guess one of my sides isnt as developed as other hence the weird walking,

i really feel that the walking gait is caused by stronger on one side then other. i dint rally walk til i was 6 yeas old so i guess its development that has got me

*wonders why the security guard always runs and opens the door each time i go to bank*

Error

25 May 2007, 1:59 pm

"Having to go to the bathroom" is probably a good analogy. Ever hear the expression "Walking like he's got a corncob up his butt"? It's one of the few I've ever actually caught someone saying about me. It is Alabama, after all.

I believe my depth perception to be as good as anyone's. Rather, it's the physical mechanics of my walk that are causing these stumbles on inclines. But on a related note, it does seem to be more on one side of my body. Being constantly aware of my body movements for this many years you start to notice a few subtleties. Seems that I swing out one leg more or less 'normal' and it's the other side playing catch up that throws it all out of whack. I certainly could be wrong. But that's what I've picked up on.

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2007, 3:48 pm

I had never thought of my gait as particularly unusual, but at both my Grade 12 and Grade 13, I won an award for "cutest wiggle (male)". I was very embarrassed about it at the time, but I later saw it as a source of pride. When I learned about AS, and that an unusual gait is one of its physical manifestations, it gave me a whole new perspective on it. Today, I consider it one of the highlights of my high school days.

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2007, 4:32 pm

Some kids said i walked really weirdly when i was in high school. I had never really noticed. I just have rubbish balance i guess, yet still attempt to walk on my toes sometimes.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 5:23 pm

I had to wear corrective shoes when I was young I shuffle and drag one foot some still but I think it would have been much worse if I had not had them.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2007, 6:04 pm

I've always had a subtle limp when I was a kid because I'm flat footed.
And there is that mysterious other left foot; you know, the one I trip over
sometimes. :? :?

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

25 May 2007, 9:30 pm

I've walked on my toes since I was young. My grandma would say I would be a ballerina when i grew up. My parents thought it was strange and tried to get me to stop(AS never even crossed their minds). I'd try and then minutes later go back. Now I don't do it as much (maybe im too heavy?) but everyonce in a while i do it for no reason.

When I was young(9?10?) kids would make fun of me all the time because i apparently walked like i "had a stick up my butt". Because of this I became extremely self-concious about it and trained myself to walk differently(it became my most important thing to change). Now (senior in highschool) friends say I "walk funny but nice" but don't make a deal out of it. They can't even describe how it's funny.

I'm flat footed and shuffle when tired or bored. I hate uneven ground :?

Ypheus
Raven
Raven

25 May 2007, 10:52 pm

I tend to walk on my toes because when I walk it's more like I'm falling forward consistently.

The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go to erase it.

Error

25 May 2007, 11:00 pm

Ypheus wrote:
I tend to walk on my toes because when I walk it's more like I'm falling forward consistently.

I've felt like that myself!

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2007, 11:27 pm

People always say I have a real "bounce to my step" and I've been made fun of for it. I've tried to walk a bit more as others do, but it doesn't feel comfortable for me.

I love this forum--I discover more and more about my identity as an Aspie each day.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 3:56 am

It's been pointed out to me that I often have a bird-like gait, and that I lean forward way too much when running.

I also tend to turn on my heels or toes instead of lifting and putting my feet down a bothersome amount of times. I prefer walking on toes at times, especially down stairs, as they just seem made for it.

On a side-note I'd like to mention that girls in the school seem to be in agreement that walking on toes is VERY unattractive in a man. I don't comprehend the strong emotion against it. :?:

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 11:12 am

It's so nice to belong to a forum with other toe walkers :)

Error

26 May 2007, 12:54 pm

PLA wrote:
It's been pointed out to me that I often have a bird-like gait, and that I lean forward way too much when running.

I also tend to turn on my heels or toes instead of lifting and putting my feet down a bothersome amount of times. I prefer walking on toes at times, especially down stairs, as they just seem made for it.

On a side-note I'd like to mention that girls in the school seem to be in agreement that walking on toes is VERY unattractive in a man. I don't comprehend the strong emotion against it. :?:

I turn on my heels quite a bit myself. Say a narrow gap in my walking path is approaching. Rather than shift sideways and shimmy through, I'll spin on my heels without breaking stride. I may be a clumsy walker, but I'm pretty graceful at that sort of thing. I also climb stairs on my toes! Wow.