Should I go for a evaluation for Autism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 9:39 am

I'd have to meet you in person to really know. And to hang out with you in the good times, and the bad times.

But you don't seem like the "manipulative" type; people with Borderline Disorder, in my experience, can be quite manipulative.

When one has Asperger's, one is usually not socially-proficient enough to be manipulative.

I bet, if you read Tony Attwood, that you'll arrive at more answers.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

Two reasons to go for an evaluation:

1) It's cathartic to finally understand your place in the world, and begin to see why things have always happened to you the way they have. It's freeing to know that, contrary to what people may have always led you to believe, there is not something fundamentally wrong with your personality, there's just something miswired in your brain, and that is NOT YOUR FAULT. This knowledge also gives you some insight into how you may develop coping mechanisms to improve social skills, et. al, however, don't get your hopes up that it will transform you into the social butterfly you never were before, 'cause it won't.

2) I can only speak for the USA, but I'm guessing Australia has very similar programs, and having an official diagnosis may very likely qualify you for various social programs, including disability benefits. You may not think as a 20something that you have a particular need for such assistance, but in my experience, autistic functionality can vary with age, so it could come very much in handy later. You might not even qualify for certain assistance programs until after such-and-such an age, so why not be prepared?

Some worry that having an official label might make one a target for discrimination, but again, in my personal experience, people will always discriminate against the autistic, simply for being different, even when they can't name specifically what that difference is. And there's nothing I'm aware of that forces you to disclose that diagnosis with anyone you don't wish to share it with.