Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2007, 11:04 am

He has definitively been my favorite artist for awhile now. Dead, naturally. Seems a lot of musicians I feel akin to have kicked the bucket. Cobain, Nick Drake, Layne Staley.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 11:50 am

I'm a long time fan. In fact, last night I was up late working on a tab for Georgia, Georgia and learning a couple of other songs off of New Moon to tab too. Glad to see another Elliott fan here. There doesn't seem to be very many.

I don't mean to come down harshly on you, since I doubt you meant to be disrespectful, but "kicked the bucket"?

Just a bit FYI - many "hard-core" Elliott fans, especially those like myself who have been fans before his death, can be quite touchy about people making coarse or flippant reference to his death. Elliott was very vulnerable in life as in death, and his fans, who tend to feel a strong kinsmanship with him, have always sensed that about him. I've been a fan of his since 1997, and it's been pretty amazing to me to see how his fans have always been inclined to treat him with the respect and dignity they would afford another human being rather than just exploit him morbidly like some celebrity who's just there for our amusement.

Anyhow, if you don't already know, the online "hub" for the Elliott fan community, the self-dubbed "sweet addiers" or just "addiers" (from when the forum was part of the official Elliott site sweetadeline.com) is here: http://www.blamonet.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5

If you're looking for anything Elliott related, downloads, tabs, other forums, other Elliott fans, whatever, that's the place to start. I post there under the username "sleeper."

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 11:53 am

i don't get Elliot Smith.
Don't dislike him, but you know, he's okay that's about it.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

27 May 2007, 12:35 pm

Yesyesyesyesyes!!

He was so delightfully quirky and honest. I was terribly sorry to find out that his poetic soul was in so much pain that he felt the need to bail out of life. :( He expressed painful emotions so well, I always wanted to know what sort of intensely beautiful thing he would have created had he been a happier man.

Error

27 May 2007, 1:38 pm

Cade wrote:
I'm a long time fan. In fact, last night I was up late working on a tab for Georgia, Georgia and learning a couple of other songs off of New Moon to tab too. Glad to see another Elliott fan here. There doesn't seem to be very many.

I don't mean to come down harshly on you, since I doubt you meant to be disrespectful, but "kicked the bucket"?

Just a bit FYI - many "hard-core" Elliott fans, especially those like myself who have been fans before his death, can be quite touchy about people making coarse or flippant reference to his death. Elliott was very vulnerable in life as in death, and his fans, who tend to feel a strong kinsmanship with him, have always sensed that about him. I've been a fan of his since 1997, and it's been pretty amazing to me to see how his fans have always been inclined to treat him with the respect and dignity they would afford another human being rather than just exploit him morbidly like some celebrity who's just there for our amusement.

Anyhow, if you don't already know, the online "hub" for the Elliott fan community, the self-dubbed "sweet addiers" or just "addiers" (from when the forum was part of the official Elliott site sweetadeline.com) is here: http://www.blamonet.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5

If you're looking for anything Elliott related, downloads, tabs, other forums, other Elliott fans, whatever, that's the place to start. I post there under the username "sleeper."

No, I have nothing but the deepest respect for E.S. As well as a deep regret that there will be nothing to look forward to from him. He did create a pretty large body of work in the relatively short time he was here.

I've learned a few of his songs. "Sweet Adeline", "3 A.M.", etc. A few Heatmiser songs also such as "See You Later".

I found the Sweet Adeline website awhile back and really enjoyed learning more about him. I'll have to check in again and spot you out. But it seems the last time I ever tried to go to the site it had been discontinued or somesuch.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 2:13 pm

I really like Elliot Smith. He was a great musician.

Faby
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2007, 4:36 am

I think Elliott was one of the finest songwriters of the past fifteen years and, of course, his music is timeless. It is only within the last year or so that I have really discovered his music properly and i was deeply saddened to hear he is no longer with us as i would have loved to have seen him play live in concert, which im told, was quite an experience.

SunChild1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2007, 7:06 am

I'm a big fan of Elliott Smith. I think he had a beautiful way of expressing his emotions. XO is probably my favourite of his albums, but they're all great in their own way.

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2008, 11:55 pm

Elliott Smith is f*****g amazing. Everything he did was amazing (except No Name #6. What's up with that song?) I find it hillarious that most people just see him as some sadsack guy, but if you read the new book, he was really funny and cool and quirky and all that stuff. He seemed like he'd be a great friend to have around. I'm pretty sure he would've been an Aspie too!

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2008, 11:07 pm

Listening to Elliott Smith allows me to swim through my periods of depression instead of sink. Unbearable loneliness was something he must have been cursed with but he had a gifted way of translating it into words and music.

Hey Cade...a houstonian?

Sw3etadeline
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2023, 1:14 pm

Yes. Absolutely adore his music and as someone with CPTSD as well as ASD he was the first person I ever heard who spoke for me. esp Roman Candle a visceral and cathartic album that is so healing.
Such a great songwriter & musician.
I listen to him a lot and attempt to play a few songs on guitar- Half Right, Oblivion & Satellite but I’m not a good enough player.
We are so privileged to have had his music.