Finger flapping/movement ?? any1 can provide me info?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 4:09 pm

I was been noticed few times by my sister and by close friend that sometimes I flap my fingers for better description "typing on the air" or typing on my thigh when i am sitting and i noticed that i do that without thinking when i feel exiting or when i am day dreaming about something . I noticed myself that I do that a lot when i am all alone but i was caught doing it few times by my sis and friends .
I had this "bad habit" as my sister as my sister called it or weird habit as one of my friend used to call it since childhood , I remember one of my seat colleague at school used to ask me : "why do you do that?"

I made some search about this and all what i found is "hand flapping" i couldn't find abt this particular odd fingers movement of mine .

anyone has info or heard about this ?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 May 2007, 4:45 pm

im pretty shure i do this aswell. i like moving my pointer finger and middle finger past each other to make a "humming bird" noise

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 May 2007, 5:00 pm

I do things with my hands when I'm extremely nervous...at the psychiatrist's the other day (I HATE this guy) my mom asked me what I was "typing", and I hadn't realized she had been watching me which made me even more nervous so it was kind of a vicious cycle (me doing crazy stuff with my hands and my mom trying to figure out what it meant)

LePetitPrince wrote:
I was been noticed few times by my sister and by close friend that sometimes I flap my fingers for better description "typing on the air" or typing on my thigh when i am sitting and i noticed that i do that without thinking when i feel exiting or when i am day dreaming about something . I noticed myself that I do that a lot when i am all alone but i was caught doing it few times by my sis and friends .
I had this "bad habit" as my sister as my sister called it or weird habit as one of my friend used to call it since childhood , I remember one of my seat colleague at school used to ask me : "why do you do that?"

I made some search about this and all what i found is "hand flapping" i couldn't find abt this particular odd fingers movement of mine .

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2007, 5:25 pm

A short list of my "stims"... (Side note: These all happen and increase in frequency the more sleep I lack.)

1. I incessantly bounce my legs, sometimes (when I'm really tired and have less control over it) past the point of limping calf pain.
  2. I twist my bangs, the back of my head, the hair on my chin, and my sideburns.
  3. When I am really in a bad situation I will get that horrible lost feeling and will rock.

I also really get into music which may be an unconscious ways of finger tapping (air drums), and rocking (light head-banging). Although that is normal neurotypical behavior.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 6:36 pm

I don't "type" in the air, but I do "write" in the air with my fingers when I'm trying to focus on something or listen closely.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 6:49 pm

I find myself typing in the air, a lot. Especially after a long day trip out of town or when I'm some place where I can't get on the Internet.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 4:45 am

I think "finger twisting " and hand-twisting are the right medical expression ....i googled and yea they are related to autism .

AdrianB
Toucan
Toucan

28 May 2007, 5:05 am

I 'flap' my hand too.
But usually, i keep my keys in it and do it in a rhythm so it looks like I'm playing some music off in my head :p

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2007, 5:59 am

jijin wrote:
A short list of my "stims"... (Side note: These all happen and increase in frequency the more sleep I lack.)

1. I incessantly bounce my legs, sometimes (when I'm really tired and have less control over it) past the point of limping calf pain.
  2. I twist my bangs, the back of my head, the hair on my chin, and my sideburns.
  3. When I am really in a bad situation I will get that horrible lost feeling and will rock.

I also really get into music which may be an unconscious ways of finger tapping (air drums), and rocking (light head-banging). Although that is normal neurotypical behavior.

I have the same stims and others and am terribly self-conscious of them. They are "helpful" for centring me but not terribly attractive socially. I try to contain them

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 6:19 am

jijin wrote:

By "that horrible lost feeling," do you mean the one that sits in the pit of your stomach- or maybe in your esophagus- like utter despair? I've always had difficulty identifying what that one is, exactly. It seems to come on at almost unpredictable times. It's like I'm thinking too much or like I think something horrible is going to happen and I can't stop it. It's not anxiety because it doesn't make me feel actually stressed or apprehensive. It's something different. It's almost hallucinatory. It's disorienting and it makes me want to cry but there are no tears. I remember asking my mother what it was once, when I was very small. She said it was loneliness. That's not it either though, because being with people doesn't make it stop. I don't know what to call it and I've never been able to pin down its cause but it's very intense.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 6:22 am

LePetitPrince wrote:

I almost forgot to answer the original post!

Yes, the finger typing motion thing is a type of "flapping". It's not as common as the hand flap but it is well known.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 1:10 pm

Proberbly but without thinking I'm not actually sure

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2007, 4:41 pm

I do or have done just about all the things people have listed so far. I never considered it to be part of any condition other than my personality I guess. My most common thing is tapping my fingers either in the air, on myself, or on something. I always did notice it seemed I could tap faster and with more rhythm than most though. Hmmm.

If it is a part of the AS I don't mind it. Others occassionaly do, but it hasn't hampered my life as far as I can tell. The other stuff takes care of that.

Error

28 May 2007, 4:44 pm

Forgot something. The most unusual thing I ever did (and still occassionaly find myself doing) is taking both my hands and laying them palm down, flat, on my thighs. Then I'd rub 'em up and down for a few seconds. I generally did this after I got excited playing a game or something. If my parents (or wife, lol) ever caught me in the act they'd just stop and stare before saying anything. It became pretty embarrassing. I suppose it does look pretty silly, especially now that I'm 29. :P

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:16 pm

How about this one:

If someone says something really neeto to me will:

sort of duck or bow then pivot about 180 degrees and walk away with exaggerated stepsdo another 180 (usually both to left) and two more strange steps back to where I started!

cool huh?

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2007, 4:10 am

Esperanza wrote:
jijin wrote:

By "that horrible lost feeling," do you mean the one that sits in the pit of your stomach- or maybe in your esophagus- like utter despair? I've always had difficulty identifying what that one is, exactly. It seems to come on at almost unpredictable times. It's like I'm thinking too much or like I think something horrible is going to happen and I can't stop it. It's not anxiety because it doesn't make me feel actually stressed or apprehensive. It's something different. It's almost hallucinatory. It's disorienting and it makes me want to cry but there are no tears. I remember asking my mother what it was once, when I was very small. She said it was loneliness. That's not it either though, because being with people doesn't make it stop. I don't know what to call it and I've never been able to pin down its cause but it's very intense.

Sorry, I just saw the reply.

I have no idea, but I normally get it when I'm lost. Which is why I equate it to that. I also once had this episode where my younger brother and a friend that was a girl were over at her house and her whole family decided they would go out and use their 4-wheelers. I don't like the noise they (or for that matter loud motorcycles) make and I told them I didn't want to go. They immediately thought I was just being scared. I started stimming and rocking and told them no, that I just didn't want to go. They said it was ok and showed me a way to get to a friend's house and that friend took me home.

I was terrified. I now flat out refuse to do something unless I have some idea what it'll be like. It's good to know other people get it though.

I think it might have to do when you "get off the ball", so to speak. If I get overwhelmed (like longer trips in big box stores) I start acting like and ass and at the time it seems perfectly normal to me to be like that at the time. Take it a little longer, and I am completely exhausted and need to get away from everybody.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?