Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2007, 6:39 pm

Has anybody found they did things to hide, change, or otherwise integrate your neuro-atypical characteristics? And if you have successfully, what did you integrate and what did you do to integrate it?

I'm sorry as I have not adapted well I don't have any personal examples.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 7:05 pm

jijin wrote:
Has anybody found they did things to hide, change, or otherwise integrate your neuro-atypical characteristics? And if you have successfully, what did you integrate and what did you do to integrate it?

I'm sorry as I have not adapted well I don't have any personal examples.

Things I have done were things I now regret. I stopped asking why so much, hold back advice, even to everyones detriment, don't so quickly make observations. That helped to remove a lot of the knowitall, rude, arrogant appearance. I try to delay asking some questions, to better parse things, etc... Part of my isolation was because of misunderstandings, etc... I got more cynical to overcome some gullibility.

Steve

jijin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2007, 7:24 pm

SteveK wrote:
Things I have done were things I now regret. I stopped asking why so much, hold back advice, even to everyones detriment, don't so quickly make observations. That helped to remove a lot of the knowitall, rude, arrogant appearance. I try to delay asking some questions, to better parse things, etc... Part of my isolation was because of misunderstandings, etc... I got more cynical to overcome some gullibility.

I seem to do that, as far as making quick observations though. My problem is that they tend to be correct, and by "tend" I mean nearly always. So I have come to rely on that and almost to the exclusion of caring weather a person close to me feels as if I'm being rude.

Making remarkable snap judgments is the only thing I find that I excel profusely in, and it has become a part of my personality. Although I have adapted to keep in my true feelings about a given thing and give answers I know are telling people what they want to hear. I know this is also considered bad but I'm scared to dull my judgment at all due to my work.

Maybe I'm just an @##hole.

Cause we don?t clean up our own s**t
And when refused we throw a fit
As we scream ?I don-wanna-hear-it?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 May 2007, 8:17 pm

well my life is going to rule in a year when i move away from my mom. im moving somewhere where nobody knows me. i have no idea where thats going to be yet, im thinking south america. i need to get my indiana jones on

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 9:12 pm

jijin wrote:
SteveK wrote:

I seem to do that, as far as making quick observations though. My problem is that they tend to be correct, and by "tend" I mean nearly always. So I have come to rely on that and almost to the exclusion of caring weather a person close to me feels as if I'm being rude.

Making remarkable snap judgments is the only thing I find that I excel profusely in, and it has become a part of my personality. Although I have adapted to keep in my true feelings about a given thing and give answers I know are telling people what they want to hear. I know this is also considered bad but I'm scared to dull my judgment at all due to my work.

Maybe I'm just an @##hole.

YOU MISUNDERSTOOD! MY observations were always correct ALSO! They STILL usually are! But people never wanted to listen. ESPECIALLY not when they were 30+, and I wasn't even 10! And when I said "even to everyones detriment", I meant that people have destroyed equipment, and spent weeks or months because I kept quiet.
If I say anything though, they may just consider me a knowitall, etc.... That IS less of a concern now, but OTHERS want to try their hand at it. Of course THEY usually go off half cocked. One held meetings for over a month refining his stupid theories on a false premise. ACTUALLY, TWO false premises. The main one, however, meant that no valid attempt could be made to impliment it.

Steve

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 9:46 pm

I only engage in my special interests when I'm by myself. The only thing I don't hide is my love for cats and other animals.

Error
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2007, 10:28 pm

I know even before I came to this site I knew I had a problem making and holding eye contact with people. My efforts didn't work out as an improvement. I'd force myself to hold eye contact with an intent owl eyed stare. LOL. Better to seem overly shy than an axe murder I'd suppose.