WHICH IS BETTER STAR TREK OR NEXT GENERATION?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 9:56 am

I prefer....

Next generation....

Mostly because they had Data and he is one of my favourite characters and also the stories were more in depth than the original series, which all seemed a bit 'camp'.

Next generation films were better as they had the Borg.... :twisted:

What do you think?

:)

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 10:12 am

The Next Generation movies? They had First Contact, sure, but they also had Nemesis. Almost all the Original Series movies were good. One and five were kind of letdowns, but Nemesis - :evil:.

Anyways, I like TNG, mostly because I get to see it more often. They had lots of good episodes, like the Q episodes and The Best of Both Worlds.

My favorite series, though, is Deep Space Nine, because I think it is most relevant to the time in which I grew up - you see our "perfect" society consumed by conspiracy, war, hate, and nationalism, and you have a bunch of well-meaning characters who are sometimes forced to deal with overwhelming situations. Plus, every now and then you get a Ferengi episode :wink:.

rosered
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 10:16 am

DejaQ wrote:
The Next Generation movies? They had First Contact, sure, but they also had Nemesis. Almost all the Original Series movies were good. One and five were kind of letdowns, but Nemesis - :evil:.

Anyways, I like TNG, mostly because I get to see it more often. They had lots of good episodes, like the Q episodes and The Best of Both Worlds.

My favorite series, though, is Deep Space Nine, because I think it is most relevant to the time in which I grew up - you see our "perfect" society consumed by conspiracy, war, hate, and nationalism, and you have a bunch of well-meaning characters who are sometimes forced to deal with overwhelming situations. Plus, every now and then you get a Ferengi episode :wink:.

I never really 'connected' with ds9 so gave up watching :cry:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 10:55 am

I gotta go with DS9 too.

The first 3 seasons are sorta 'by the numbers Trek' but after that it gets really good.

I loved all the politics and religion in the show. In many ways I think the stories are more relevant today than when they were first aired...

Oh yeah, the Jem'hadar rock too!

Quote:
I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead.
As of this moment, we are all dead.
We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar.
Remember: Victory is Life!

8)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 11:14 am

your comment "by the numbers Star Trek" is quite apt. Roddenberry had a rule that there could be no conflict between members of the crew. After Roddenberry, (and hence DS9, that rule was not followed.)

I didn't see the original series, but I read all the telescripts my friend had somehow obtained. It was described in scripts in the background notes to be played as a "Space" Opera and with a TV Western style. (Shatner has also described it as 'a lark' while he waited for more substantial scripts.) The roles of Spock, Kirk and McCoy was intended to be the Intellectual, Body/action and Soul/compassion sides to a person. Kirk was also supposed to be Majel Barrett, Roddenberry's wife, but the corporate big wigs of the network would not be ready for a female captain for about 30 years. Majel has been the voice of the ships' computer on both the original and the next generation.

But for my viewing pleasure it was and still is Star Trek Next Generation. I watched it from the beginning and when I went to college, I hurried home every night to make dinner and watch it in daily syndication. They became my college friends and that is a good bond.
The idea of distributing the various aspects of human thinking/acting/feeling had been spread out more.
I just realized I could keep on about this subject for quite some time, and as I am trying to learn how to reduce and relax my impulse to blather every danged thing I know about a subject, I will end my post.

next, I am going to learn how to end it gracefully! LOL

Merle

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2007, 11:17 am

yes, i would have to say TNG and it's not really close.