Veteran

28 May 2007, 8:35 pm

oh yeah

Doby doesn't die does he 8O :cry:

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:20 am

I love Harry Potter. I'm not extremely obsessed with it, but I tell you what, when I get into one of the books on a nice summer day, I can't put it down! lol I also can't wait for the next book to come out, as well as the next movie. July will definitely be an exciting month for Harry Potter fans lol.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2007, 3:20 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I love the Harry Potter books, but I only like the first and second movies. My favourite characters are Snape and Sirius.

I don't think Harry is a horcrux, neither do I think it's something that belongs to Ravenclaw and stuff. I don't really know what it is, but I don't think they're these two because stuff in HP books rarely come out as expected.

I really need to re-read.
Are there 6 or 7 horcruxes?
I forgot.

There are 7, two of them already destroyed by Dumbledore.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:54 am

Mushroom wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
I love the Harry Potter books, but I only like the first and second movies. My favourite characters are Snape and Sirius.

I don't think Harry is a horcrux, neither do I think it's something that belongs to Ravenclaw and stuff. I don't really know what it is, but I don't think they're these two because stuff in HP books rarely come out as expected.

I really need to re-read.
Are there 6 or 7 horcruxes?
I forgot.

There are 7, two of them already destroyed by Dumbledore.

Okay...what gets to me is that there are still so many things she has left unanswered that she has said will be answered but I do not see how she can answer it all in one book.

For example...was Dudley sees with that Dementor... more insight into how Snape knew Lily...The whole relevance of Harry having green eyes...to name just few.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:12 am

I need to read all the books again... :D

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:16 am

I've been rereading them these pass few months. I'm almost done with the 6th, but I'm taking my time. I don't want to rusha nd finish it and then have to wait too long for the 7th.

I love botht he books and the movie. I'm not really obsessed witht hem - I'm not hunting down everythign there is to knwo about them. But I find them engrossing as entertainment and as a writer I'm very fascinated with Rowling's talent for storytelling and charcter development. Writers can learn a lot from her.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 11:27 am

Yes, I find the way she has woven everything together amazing and interesting.
Even moreso considering the outline of the whole story came to her, apparently, during a train journey.
The characters just seem to be so alive and well developed...not all of them, of course, but the main ones.
Snape is definitely the most interesting to me in terms of development and what is thus far left unsaid or unexplored.

I used to read a lot of material beyond the books, but now I just sometimes read the fanfiction or check any news on mugglenet...my main interest comes with a new release.
I will be disappointed once I have completed the last book, I think.

I am seeing Equus next month in London with Radcliffe playing the lead. That is something I am looking forward to.

ExeterChris
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2007, 12:30 pm

I think the books are brilliant.

I'm at uni in Exeter ( as was Rowling), and there are reputedly several Exeter landmarks that were used as an inspiration.
There is a street that Diagon Alley is supposedly based on, and Hogwarts castle is allegedly based on an old halls of residence. I don't know if those allegations are true, but having been on that street; it looks plausible.
There is also a pub in Exeter called the Hog's Head

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 1:55 pm

Here's what has bothered me for a long time. Harry didn't see those creatures that pull the carriages to Hogwart's until after he saw that other boy get killed in the maze, right? However, the other kids (I think Luna was one of them) who saw a parent or parents get killed by Voldemort did see those creatures. So, I'm convinced that Harry's parents are not dead.

Also, his aunt seemed to know a good deal about dementors and Azkaban. There's gotta be something more than meets the eye with her.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:26 pm

I liked Harry Potter more when he was called Luke Skywalker - seriously, there are far too many parallels between the two characters for it to be a mere coincidence. They're both cut from the same stock fantasy plot, but Star Wars has lightsabres and TIE fighters and stuff.

And I read the first book and found it pretty pedestrian. Okay, it got kids reading again, and that's cool, but no way is it worth £500 million.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 2:30 pm

One cannot judge it based on the first book alone as that is, in truth, the most childish of the set. They become way more complicated and intricate with multiple references that adults, rather than kids, are more likely to pick up on. IT is not intended to be read as a single book when there is a set of 7. But to each his own.

Janicka...I forgot that... yes, it IS odd Petunia knows so much and I cannot help but wonder if it has some connection to Snape...but then again, I don't think he was ever in Azkaban even for a short time, was he?
I do feel there is a LOT more about Snape than meets the eye.

I did consider he might have made some sort of unbreakable vow with Lily or Dumbledore which would prevent him from harming Harry...afterall, thus far, he has not harmed Harry even given the chance.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:53 pm

That may be the case.

While I am uninterested in reading Harry Potter anymore, I do wish to see how it ends. Snape, indeed, will be an important character, IMO.....

On sabbatical...

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:56 pm

I always drink out of a Harry Potter glass.
We have four.
I like the blue ones the most.

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2007, 6:33 pm

janicka wrote:
Here's what has bothered me for a long time. Harry didn't see those creatures that pull the carriages to Hogwart's until after he saw that other boy get killed in the maze, right? However, the other kids (I think Luna was one of them) who saw a parent or parents get killed by Voldemort did see those creatures. So, I'm convinced that Harry's parents are not dead.

Also, his aunt seemed to know a good deal about dementors and Azkaban. There's gotta be something more than meets the eye with her.

OK, so I'll admit I'm a bit of a Harry Potter freak. I've got a couple of books that analyze the books and predict what happens. I also check MuggleNet at least once a day.

Harry didn't see the thestrals until after he saw Cedric die because in order to see them you have to experience the pain and grief that goes along with the death. Harry was too young to experience that when his parents died. And J.K. Rowling has stated that Harry's parents are indeed dead.

As far as Petunia and her knowledge of the wizarding world goes, J.K Rowling did state that there was more to her than meets the eye. We'll find out what that is in Deathly Hallows. She's not a witch, so that's not it. There is supposed to be someone who develops powers later on in life though - my vote is for crazy cat lady Mrs. Figg.

I can't wait until July 21 when book 7 comes out. I'll be at Kroger buying it at midnight. I got HBP at midnight when it came out and read it in 12 hours. My ex thought I was nuts. The page count is 784, not as long as Order of the Phoenix but hopefully long enough for her to tie everything up.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 9:33 pm

I love Harry Potter!

My favourite character is Neville.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:04 pm

Spot: That explanation of the thestals doesn't make sense to me, because some of the other kids saw them as a result of having their parents killed in front of them by Voldemort. Luna was one of them, as I recall.