Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

Alannah Currie was born on the exact same day as me and I had a wicked crush on her during the '80's

My favorite song of thiers

New Wave, Synthpop, Second British Invasion

Alannah's career has changed radically since the big 80's both literally and figuratively
http://www.misspokeno.com/about/

Quote:
Alannah Currie is a London based artist who builds deliberately luxurious chairs around uncomfortable and often provocative narratives. She works under the name Miss Pokemo

Miss Pokeno continued working on private commissions and public chair destructions until 2010 when she began working with the militant feminist activists, the Sisters of Perpetual Resistance. The Sisters commissioned Miss Pokeno to create work for their South London HQ with the only brief being to “glorify that which is too ugly for words”.

The work for HQ has now been completed and was exhibited in London from November 14th 2013 to 13th December 2013. Instruments of Nuisance are still available from the shop and bigger works can be seen by arrangement.

Tom Bailey was Alannah's husband during the Thompson Twins era
Wikipedia
Quote:
In 2010 Bailey and astronomer and visual artist José Francisco Salgado formed an audiovisual ensemble called Bailey-Salgado Project (BSP). BSP combines music with photography, video, and motion graphics to create multimedia works that have as subject the physical world. Their first work together, a short film entitled Sidereal Motion, was previewed in Bath, England in October 2010.[7]

Bailey now resides in France with his second wife, artist Lauren Drescher.

Joe Leeway is a professional Hypnotherapist

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 5:10 pm

To borrow a gag from Chou En Lai, it's 'too early to say' for me. They first came to my attention when Madonna mentioned them at the Philadelphia Live Aid event in 1985, and it took me a further 30 years to learn that (a) They're not twins and (b) No-one in the group is called Thompson. Ask me again in 2045.... :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2017, 11:02 pm

I'm not familiar with em but I thought the 3 songs were OK.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:29 am

DeepHour wrote:
To borrow a gag from Chou En Lai, it's 'too early to say' for me. They first came to my attention when Madonna mentioned them at the Philadelphia Live Aid event in 1985, and it took me a further 30 years to learn that (a) They're not twins and (b) No-one in the group is called Thompson. Ask me again in 2045.... :lol:

Are you reffering to this?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 2:51 am

^ Thanks for posting that, it's an interesting performance and the red-haired lead singer looks to have a lot of 'attitude'!

Never actually saw that first time round, the reference by Madonna I mentioned comes at around 45 seconds into this clip:

That's a pretty good performance too, IMO!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:19 am

I love the Thompson Twins. They're right up there towards the top of my list along with The Kinks, The Beatles and a few others.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:26 am

This is my favourite song of theirs:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

DeepHour wrote:
^ Thanks for posting that, it's an interesting performance and the red-haired lead singer looks to have a lot of 'attitude'!

Never actually saw that first time round, the reference by Madonna I mentioned comes at around 45 seconds into this clip:

That's a pretty good performance too, IMO!

Madonna as well a Nile Rodgers of Chic is preforming with the Thompson Twins in this video

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:02 pm

Weren't they named after characters from Tin Tin stories?

Anyway, they are/were very good.

I can't think of them without thinking about Howard Jones, Kajagoogoo, Nik Kershaw, Tears for Fears etc.