Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:05 pm

Focus becomes ten times harder and migraines get triggered. Need lots of pain killers.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2017, 11:51 am

YES. All my autistic traits gets SO much stronger when Im stressed.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

I only sporadically endure periods of stress thankfully (presumably due to my unique adaptability to elude situations that precipitate it); but when I do so irrespective of the event that preceded it's manifestation (usually accompanied with a severe meltdown), my disposition to do any forms of tasks (including basic & solitary ones) plummets as-well as having to completely withdraw myself from everyone in a quiet room (predominantly mine with no invasive auditory stimuli) to shut myself down; auditory stimuli sensitivity is exacerbated, social anxieties get heightened as well for a couple of hours, not being able to concentrate efficiently, appetite is suppressed down to a subliminal level, and during it's initial phase of a severe meltdown (often once a year) I engage classically autistic stimming to calm myself down to attenuate the level of stress.

Underlying medical and psychiatric co-morbidities (which I don't have) would obviously worsen such stress induced symptoms and they are simply an addition to the various interlinked ASD & stress related symptomatologies.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

elf_wizard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2017, 2:09 pm

TL;DR Yes, it can make the difference between "fine" and "nightmare"

It is reassuring to see these posts because I feel the same way. Stress definitely amplifies my challenges. It seems like with stress a meltdown is always a step away, just keeping them at bay is draining in itself, but I am so new to thinking of all this and just starting to learn about it, my mind starts spinning sometimes and I can't tell which way is up.

Long story short I found out a few months ago that I'm an Aspie, undiagnosed. I am still processing the initial impact and haven't made many support connections. I have been working hard to manage stress. It's funny (kind of) how finding out I'm an Aspie is it's own stress, even though in the long run it is better for me to know. I have to extensively rethink certain things and I see my past life in a new light (it makes a lot more sense now LOL).

Not trying to hijack the thread here ^

Edit: used wrong word

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 2:55 pm

Yep. Up to the point of inducing autistic catatonia.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:18 pm

Yes. I have a medical condition that stress could bring on. Fortunately, it is under control with medication.