People who wear unfashiable clothes get bullied

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:31 am

I've noticed this where I live. I know two men - one an Aspie, another with a diagnosed mental illness. Both have had intense and upsetting bullying.

They also both wear relatively unfashionable clothes. Both often wear T-shirts that contain very largely printed brand names like Henleys and Hugo Boss. Now while neither of those brands are necessarily unfashionable I found out through my own experience that wearing a large brand name is considered a fashion sin.

Most people tend to say let the item of clothing do the talking, not the label name. If the label is too visible it creates the impression someone is trying too hard.

It's cruel people are like this. I don't think they'll change though. So I think more awareness should be spread amongst aspies and people with mental health diagnoses that wearing certain fashions can make you more vulnerable to bullying. I think part of it is that people assume if someone isn't fashionable they're not socially well connected and bullies tend to prefer easy targets, people they see as unable to defend themselves, lacking friends or support from others.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Jun 2017, 5:46 am

Maybe you should just explain to them how their shirts are seen by others?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:37 am

I want to but how is the best approach to broach the subject with them?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

If that's true. I never noticed. But then I don't really make an effort to interact with people for the sake of interacting. When I was a kid, other kids would bully me for any reason they could find, even if they had to make something up. But if adults do it, I'm not aware.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:50 am

I've never been bullied for unfashionable clothes, it's always been for other things. If anything, people admire my style and are jealous.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:46 pm

on my first year at university people used to sent pictures of me to a facebook page who as some kind of anonymous messages from the university mocking my clothes/me... it was really humiliating and until now i feel very insecure and uncomfortable at the university, i thought about dropping out but i had already dropped out twice from different universities (but i had never suffered any kind of bullying on them...). i didn't even told my parents or people about it because i'm so ashamed.

i have a different style but i actually think i dress nicely, i just like skirts and colorful things and prints.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:01 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
I've never been bullied for unfashionable clothes, it's always been for other things. If anything, people admire my style and are jealous.

I have been bullied for looking unfashionable. Anything different about you can make you a target. While the stated reason for bullying me has been other reasons most of the time I think bieng unfashionable looking was often an unstated reason for bieng targeted.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 10:01 pm

___________________________________________________________________________________________

while walking through a middle school (it was after school, and the gates were open), as a shortcut, one girl had the nerve to shout at me "you get your clothes from KMart."

that was when I was about 30 years old. maybe she thought I went to that school.

other ret*ds (no ableism intended) correctly pointed out that I wore the same clothes 2 days in a row.

other ret*ds made fun of my holey polo shirt and run down shoes.

not to mention crossdressing

seriously some precious lil "people" are materialistic and superficial.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

I used to get bullied for my clothes all the time. People would say I looked "frumpy", but I personally rather wear what I feel comfortable in rather than stuff that maybe looks more trendy and stylish. It took a lot of work, but I don't let what people say about my clothes bother me anymore.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 4:07 pm

I was never one to follow trends. People always said I dressed nicely.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 8:06 pm

I was never one to follow trends. People always said I dressed nicely.
____________________________________________________________________________________

with the exception of sagging pants, i did not follow trends either.

once in a while, someone had the nerve to tell me "i like your jacket/shorts".

but far more often when someone had the nerve to comment on my appearance, it was sarcastic.

backhanded compliment

but seriously though

to me. appearances are superficial, materialistic, and meaningless.

to almost everyone else, especially extroverts, appearances are important. in some cases, they act like appearances are everything.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 3:51 am

Styles and clothes are something that is always noticed by me. Ever since I was teased in school for not having the "right" uniform (in the first two years of high school my mum bought me approximations and they weren't quite the right colour or style. I was picked on a lot for this). Then I moved schools and got a regular education payment from the government. This meant I could buy my own clothes and school uniform. I finally fitted in and was even thought of as trendy way back then.

Today my style is pretty androgynous - hoodies and loose pants for winter, t-shirts and 3/4 length pants in summer.

I wear light makeup. Mostly concealer and lip gloss. I get my hair styled when I can afford it. I think these are pretty normal things to do. I'm not at the height of fashion but no one criticises my style or tells me to dress differently.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 5:02 pm

I was bullied for all sorts of reasons, and for none at all as a child, teen, and even as an adult, but to a lesser extent as an adult. As for clothes, I have never been a slave to fashion. I wear whatever I like. I just don't like fancy clothes. I prefer relaxed, comfy clothes. If that bothers other people, tough. It's my bod, and my money paying for the duds, so I get to wear what I want.

I have a bigger problem with make-up. I don't like painting my face, so I never buy it and never wear any. This has kept me from getting some jobs, but I just can't stand the concept of painting my face, and also don't want the feeling of stuff coating my face, so I just wash my face, and go about without any war paint on. Can't work anymore anyway, due to health issues, so it's no longer a work issue. If someone doesn't like how I look with a naked face, then don't look at me. With my Aspergers, I'm already not looking at you. :lol:

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 5:19 pm

I've never understood fashion, and have always worn random hand-me-downs (mostly boys' jeans & t-shirts, since I don't feel comfortable in women's clothes). At my school, the uncool kids got 'shunned' rather than bullied, but I didn't care, because I preferred being alone anyway.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2017, 1:09 am

I don't think it's a cause and effect in that order. Yes, some people who wear unfashionable clothes get bullied, but I think the bullying happens for another reason and the clothes may make an easy target.
A "cool" person can wear unfashionable clothes and be considered eccentric or starting a new trend.
I think bullies can somehow sense the lack of confidence in certain people, and then pick on them for anything they can find.
I think that the condition (whatever it is) that causes a person to be bullied may also mean that they are less interested in keeping up with fashion or have less ability to keep up with fashion.
But I may be wrong.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:49 am

~don't care~

people who bully based on something so frivolous as a person's clothing are not people i'm interested in caring about. they've only made themselves more obvious.

admittedly, the only person who can get to me when it comes to this is my mother. but rather than change my appearance i just laugh.