Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SHG_Cyclone1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2017, 3:05 pm

I am noticing more of my female Facebook friends putting their relationship statuses as "single" despite really being in a relationship. If you want to keep your relationship private, there are settings to make that happen. If you're not in a relationship, and don't want people hitting on you, wouldn't "in a relationship" (not revealing with who) ward them off?

I don't get it. Wondering is this is a tactic to bring single people looking for love down?

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 3:17 pm

On my Facebook. I noticed some of my friends put down just married. But then in the post say that they won't get married for over a year from now or after they graduate college. And I'm like why put that down instead of saying you 2 are encaged and then change to married when they marry each other. And yes I noticed that too on my Facebook.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:15 pm

It's more likely they just do it as they like the attention, they like the opposite sex hitting on them (especially if these are females you're talking about).

SHG_Cyclone1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

Chichikov wrote:
It's more likely they just do it as they like the attention, they like the opposite sex hitting on them (especially if these are females you're talking about).

Whores?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 4:29 pm

SHG_Cyclone1 wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Whores?

I wouldn't go that far...they just like having their self-esteem boosted.

SHG_Cyclone1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2017, 4:37 pm

Chichikov wrote:
SHG_Cyclone1 wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Whores?

I wouldn't go that far...they just like having their self-esteem boosted.

You're right.

My biggest reason for this post is that the woman I have a crush on, turns out from conversations among others, she still has that same boyfriend. But her relationship status changed from "in a relationship with (name)" to "single". So, while I'm thinking that maybe I have a chance here, all is going for naught.

Maybe I'm falling for some sort of trap. Folks, I'm 31 and have never dated. How much longer before time starts to run out, and I get labeled as a creepy old man? Just my thoughts.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 8:46 pm

My relationships have nothing do do with Facebook.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 8:59 pm

relationships aren't always black and white, facebook relationship statuses are. sometimes people don't think about changing their status to "in a relationship" from "single". sometimes people break up but still have something with each other. sometimes people think "it's complicated" is a bad thing to display publicly. maybe she's an attention whore, maybe she's trying to get a rise out of her boyfriend. maybe it's something else. maybe facebook isn't really a dating site. who knows.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:58 pm

had a friend who'd regularly (like, every other day) post a status proclaiming his love for his new girlfriend, change his picture to them kissing, making his entire page about her. he just changed his status and deleted everything he had of her like she never existed.

contrary to the recent social media trend, you can love your partner without smothering them in mushy love 24/7 on facebook. if i had a girlfriend, i don't personally feel i'd need to validate to all my old high school/old job acquaintances that she's my girlfriend. i'd only change it if it mattered to her. it does not to me, as i feel facebook is stupid.

Quote:
My biggest reason for this post is that the woman I have a crush on, turns out from conversations among others, she still has that same boyfriend. But her relationship status changed from "in a relationship with (name)" to "single". So, while I'm thinking that maybe I have a chance here, all is going for naught.

it's probably not the best idea to pursue a woman who just got out of a relationship

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 11:29 pm

886 wrote:
it's probably not the best idea to pursue a woman who just got out of a relationship

haha yes i think it's not the best idea to actively pursue anyone in that situation

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2017, 6:44 pm

The thing about dating is that it can be complicated.

Lets just say you have a friends with benefits or f*k buddy you see fairly regularly. I mean you're technically single but at the same time you're seeing someone else just not exclusively. I think for people in this situation, they choose to keep their relationship status hidden because they're seeing someone else but they're not technically together.

I think most people who keep their relationship status hidden are either in a non-exclusive relationship, or gay and don't want to disclose their relationship.

And yes there are women who are seeing someone else but leave their status as single because they're not together yet. You just never know until you try asking her out.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:52 pm

I choose to obacure my entire life from that dumb company because they're beneath all the remaining electronics world's professional ethics.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: