Are you fascinated with vacuum cleaners?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:50 am

I've never been fascinated with vacuum cleaners, in fact when I was a child I was terrified of them because of the noise.

I got over that as I got older, although I do wear earplugs when using them. Not because I'm afraid of them anymore but because they can cause hearing damage over time and with long enough cleaning sessions as I'm subjected to in my work.

What I DO like, though, is the actual act of vacuuming a carpet or floor. I enjoy the regular, rhythmic motions, I enjoy doing it in a systematic way section by section, and I really enjoy the satisfaction of seeing that it's made the floor clean and pristine, tidy and pleasing. There's a lot of satisfaction to transforming something from dirty to clean. So I like vacuums for that reason.

But I've never had a special interest in them, like collecting them or anything. I just want a vacuum to do the job properly, have a decent brush and decent suction and attachments.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:55 am

my 6th grade teacher made fun of me in front of the whole class when he blabbed about how my mom told him I was afraid of the noise of the vacuum cleaner. :oops:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:04 am

Aw that's awful, auntblabby! That's a betrayal. :(

And the thing is, when we were scared of the noise, it felt deadly serious to us, didn't it? I still remember how frightening that noise felt to me; it shouldn't be made light of even though it's a fear that may fade in time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:41 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Aw that's awful, auntblabby! That's a betrayal. :(

And the thing is, when we were scared of the noise, it felt deadly serious to us, didn't it? I still remember how frightening that noise felt to me; it shouldn't be made light of even though it's a fear that may fade in time.

he was an ex-military bully, who was fond of berating me and paddling me for being "stupid." I read that he got dementia after he retired from teaching.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:17 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I think it would be cool to move into a place with a central vacuum system. I hear they even have central vacuum systems for cars now.

If that's what I think it means, I once cleaned someone's house that had that system. There were vacuum outlets in the walls all over the house, and you plugged her vacuum's hose directly into them.

You still have to push the vacuum cleaner around on the carpets and floors. It didn't feel much different from having to plug and unplug a regular machine all over the house, to be honest.

But it's just a hose. You push the hose and the cleaning head around but you don't have to take main bit with you.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2017, 5:25 am

Quote:
Are you fascinated with vacuum cleaners?

No. They are useful cleaners, but that's it for me.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:52 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
I think it would be cool to move into a place with a central vacuum system. I hear they even have central vacuum systems for cars now.

If that's what I think it means, I once cleaned someone's house that had that system. There were vacuum outlets in the walls all over the house, and you plugged her vacuum's hose directly into them.

You still have to push the vacuum cleaner around on the carpets and floors. It didn't feel much different from having to plug and unplug a regular machine all over the house, to be honest.

But it's just a hose. You push the hose and the cleaning head around but you don't have to take main bit with you.

but if you get a clog in the inner workings behind the walls, god help ya.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jun 2017, 6:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
my 6th grade teacher made fun of me in front of the whole class when he blabbed about how my mom told him I was afraid of the noise of the vacuum cleaner. :oops:

That was awful and totally unprofessional!

I'm not scared but I quickly get overstimulated/tired by the sound. It's sort of painful to me.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:10 am

auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

You can open a panel in the wall, the inside is very much like a normal vacuum cleaner. You can unclog it the same same as any other vacuum cleaner.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 6:33 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

the one in the establishment I useta work for, had no such conveniences, they got a serious clog that the remote unclogging didn't solve so they had to tear open the wall to get at the inner pipe.

You can open a panel in the wall, the inside is very much like a normal vacuum cleaner. You can unclog it the same same as any other vacuum cleaner.

ours had no such panels, we got a serious clog [this was a business] and had to cut open the wall to get at the hose.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 7:27 am

Yes that's right, it is a hose with the attachment head that you push around -- I used the wrong wording when I said you still have to push the vacuum around. What I meant was you still push the head/nozzle around.

But you still have to unplug the hose and move to the next area, carrying the head and hose with you, as the hose generally doesn't reach around the entire house. So in effect it's the same action, of unplugging something and carrying the equipment to the next part of the house, just that there wasn't a cylinder to carry too.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 7:50 am

not particularly. vacuum motors, though, absolutely!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jul 2017, 3:11 am

I hated the noise they made when I was little but I had jobs working with them so I don't have that fear anymore. I think cat's are even more afraid of the vacuum cleaner than most of us were as kids

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition