What is so bad about looking younger than your age?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 2:28 am

I've never understood why some people find this discouraging and annoying. They are blessed with good genes. A person who is in his or her 20s may get annoyed if someone mistakes him or her as being a teenager. Whenever someone thinks that I'm younger than I am I take it as a compliment. At 24, I still get mistaken for being under 18 and in high school. I don't get annoyed. I love it when someone thinks I'm younger than I really am. These young people who think it is annoying being mistaken for being younger are going to really appreciate it when they are older. I don't understand why so many young people are in such a hurry to grow up and get older. What do they think that life is going to be like when they are older? So many young people try really hard to look older and I never understand what they are trying to prove or why they are in such a hurry to age. When these young people do grow up and get older they wish that they could go back to their younger days even though they spent so much time trying to make themselves appear older and wishing they were grown up.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 2:48 am

I'm 40 and someone thought I was 20 in one of my jobs. It's not to big a deal if you are aware of it, roll with it, or exploit it.

It might only be awkward if someone else knows your true age for a fact and you don't look it. You might be perceived as both physically or mentally immature.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 2:48 am

it doesn't matter. you are either attractive or not.

personally, if a girl is 28 but she looks 18 i would NEVER find her attractive.

on a side note:
this woman is 63 years old :D :heart: :heart:

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 3:46 am

awkward facepalm wrote:

personally, if a girl is 28 but she looks 18 i would NEVER find her attractive.

first thing i would assume is that she suffers illness or malnutrition or something lol

but

if she is 60 but she looks 50 i will find her super attractive.

if she is 52 but she looks 42 i will find her super attractive.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 4:25 am

Initially, I wrote a very long and detailed reply.

But it boils down to this: you don't get taken seriously for the life experience you've gathered at a hard cost, but which others automatically assume you don't have.

You don't get taken seriously or given basic respect. And when this happens daily, and sometimes in quite serious situations, it's not good.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 9:23 am

Birdinflight,

You are exactly correct. I look significantly younger than my age and am also quite short (5' 1"). Luckily, I am in good health, so that's an advantage.

I lack the life experiences most people take for granted, despite being an educated person.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

For my generation of Americans, it was the opposite, we had it pounded into our heads the young is good and old is bad. I was happy to be proofed for age when I was in my 30's.

It was a good thing when I got into movies for the 12 and under price when I was 16.
Off topic: This reminded me how much times have changed. It was not considered unusual for a 12-year-old boy to go to the movies by himself. I did it a number of times. Also, there were a lot more neighborhood theaters with one or two screens around and mall multiplexes had not become a thing yet.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

I'm 23 and I tend to get mistaken for an 18-year-old occasionally. Do I mind it? No. If anything, I find it quite flattering in a sense.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 3:48 pm

when you're under 18 being told you look younger than you are is usually taken as an insult. When you're over 25 its usually taken as a complement. Eighteen to 25 it could be taken either way.

I remember once when I was in college an older person complimented me on my new shorter hair cut, and said "and on top of that I think that it makes you look older...I mean that in a good way...". For some reason that moment sticks in my mind as being the first time someone had to specify "in a good way" when they said I looked "older" (both that they needed to say it, and that I needed to hear it. Lol!).

Last edited by naturalplastic on 29 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 4:08 pm

It's mostly teens who think it's bad because they want to always look older. Or so I've heard. They think they're adults at 13 so they want to be treated like adults. But they're not adults. I never understood this at that age, I thought adulthood was terrible and scary. All the changes to your body, all the new responsibilities, and not being allowed to do kid things that I still liked doing. If it were possible I would have grown down and stayed a 10-year-old. :)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 4:09 pm

I'm 30, but always am being mistaken as 20 or a teenager. I'm not complaining. I graduated high school a few weeks ago due to getting sick at seventeen and not knowing how or where to get a GED. So if I go to college looking like a 20 something, I'm not complaining. Most vet schools prefer people in the 30's or 40's anyway and if they question my age, all I gotta do is whip out my ID. But to everyone else, I'd be perceived as the same age as most of the students.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

not a dang thing wrong with it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 10:52 pm

I'm 42 and people think I'm in my early to mid 20s. I don't mind. I have issues with age and other things that come along with it.

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
It's mostly teens who think it's bad because they want to always look older. Or so I've heard. They think they're adults at 13 so they want to be treated like adults. But they're not adults. I never understood this at that age, I thought adulthood was terrible and scary. All the changes to your body, all the new responsibilities, and not being allowed to do kid things that I still liked doing. If it were possible I would have grown down and stayed a 10-year-old. :)

That is exactly how I feel. I have never wanted to grow up. I used to hate celebrating birthdays. Growing up has always scared me. There is so much change, responsibility, and you age. I still don't like getting older and would much rather be a kid, but I enjoy celebrating my birthdays now.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 12:40 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Initially, I wrote a very long and detailed reply.

But it boils down to this: you don't get taken seriously for the life experience you've gathered at a hard cost, but which others automatically assume you don't have.

You don't get taken seriously or given basic respect. And when this happens daily, and sometimes in quite serious situations, it's not good.

I don't take it personally when they want someone with more experience--I just refer them to someone else. Some people just don't trust people who are younger than they are. Hopefully they will figure it out before they get so old that there are no experts anymore...

FromPluto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2017, 12:41 pm

I'm pretty surprised that this is related to being an Aspie. How weird. Perhaps it's related to Euhler Danlos or flat affect or hating to be outside with all the sensory input or not being physically active due to long stretches of bring absorbed in whatever or not wearing make up.

I'm almost always pleased when people think I'm younger than I am and I love making people guess my age. It's ridiculous sometimes. Like when I was 29 a pharmacist asked me what high school I go to.

Minuses are sometimes people don't take you seriously and can be very condescending. I've even had this experience with people I later found out are younger than me. I've been babied all my life and mostly it irritates me but sometimes it's nice... Sometimes. Like when people help me carry stuff or whatever.