Do you have a job where you are overqualified?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

roger1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jun 2017, 5:01 pm

This is mostly a rant.

I worked very hard to become a scientist and got interviews at very good places, but I did poorly at interviews. So I could not find a permanent job for 6 years even though my colleagues did. I finally had to settle for an easier job (still in my scientific area), but the pay is good (less than in other places, though). Could you share if you did something similar?

Did you have to take an easy job due to "poor" interview skills? Do you enjoy the "extra time"?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 8:54 pm

all the jobs i had, i was overqualified for.

but quite frankly, the jobs i had, everyone is overqualified for.

nowadays plenty of people are overqualified for their jobs.

someone told me Oracle laid him off as a software engineer.

he had to stock shelves at trader joes. for one year.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 3:14 pm

I'm working a job that required no degree whatsoever but the pay is good so I can't complain. Some people even asked why I am working the job I am doing now when I have a degree and my answer was very simple, entry levels jobs in my field paid less. Perhaps that means I'm not overqualified but doing a blue collar job with a white collar degree could mean I'm out of my element so to speak.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 6:39 am

I am working the same job I had since I was 24 (and I was arguably overqualified then). I have a University Degree, two College Diplomas, 3 College Certificates (and soon to get a 4th one), a binder full of 1-2 day course certificates, years of Toastmasters and I still can't seem to get a better job.

The working conditions are easy, but I am a very ambitious person. It is increasingly grating on me: I assumed getting those extra credentials would make me a standout but apparently not. Even though my coworkers see me an some type of superhuman when it comes to my job, it still is frustrating knowing I should be making 50-75% more than what I am right now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 7:07 am

I have a bachelors. I've been working at jobs that only require a high school diploma for almost 40 years.

I'm lucky. I'm getting a pension in five years.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:49 pm

I have equivalent of high school diploma in computing so probably overqualified for the likes of fast food restaurants, cleaning schools/shops, and recently let go of a volunteer position where my skills were not put in use and so its harder to get back into volunteering or work experience just to even get a chance to work.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:33 am

No, I've got a job where I'm underqualified.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 8:25 am

i'm underqualified in technical certification and overqualified in degree of education.
it's just evidence there is a lot of paper that doesn't matter.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 2:13 pm

roger1234 wrote:
Did you have to take an easy job due to "poor" interview skills?

Most of my jobs so far. Pretty much all the job interviews I had were inadequately complex comparing to the job you get after them. First they ask you to solve complex algorithmic and architectural tasks, and then they send you to fix some extremely ugly old code where you don't have any freedom of decisions at all.