Page 1 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:19 am

Coming soon, according to the NRA.

Very Us vs. Them, violent and provocative.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2 ... f-america/

The article asks if anyone can point to this level of incitement from any large organization on the left. Can anyone?

Both sides need to tone down the rhetoric, but large national groups have greater responsibilities than individuals.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:28 am

Nah...I don't think so. Not this time.

Most people don't want to get out of their "comfort zones."

A civil war would certainly wreak havoc upon the lives of most people who are entrenched in our economy.

Trump, more and more, will seem like a Twitter-clown, and will be taken less and less seriously.

People have a survival instinct; they don't want to be governed by a man of such base passions as Trump.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:35 am

I hope so, but the NRA video looks like incitement.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 10:39 am

If the NRA feels we're going to have a civil war because of the actions of a few psychos, that only proves that they're psychos.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:37 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
The article asks if anyone can point to this level of incitement from any large organization on the left. Can anyone?

Well, I don't think I've ever heard-of Black Lives Matter directly inciting violence, but there sure have been several killings where the killer has said they were doing it in support of the BLM (or, something close to that):

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437677/black-lives-matter-radical-divisive?target=topic&tid=3457

National Review wrote:
Existing side-by-side with the millions of Americans who express the sentiments above is an extraordinarily radical organization, along with a persistent strain of violence that — if present at conservative events such as tea-party rallies or pro-life vigils — would completely discredit the movement. Just consider the last five days:

-- In Dallas, a black terrorist opens fire on police, killing five in the worst police massacre since 9/11.

-- In Tennessee, a black man who claimed to be motivated by “police violence against African Americans” opened fire on a highway, killing a woman and injuring three others — including a police officer.

-- In Missouri, a black motorist ambushed a white police officer after a traffic stop — shooting the officer in the neck and leaving him “fighting for his life.”

-- Also in Missouri, a young black man threw a planter through the front door of an off-duty police officer’s home and advanced into the house while the officer’s wife, mother-in-law, and young children tried to escape through a back window. The officer opened fire and killed the intruder. He apparently targeted the home after an online argument over Black Lives Matter.

-- In Minnesota, Black Lives Matter protesters attacked police with “rocks, bottles, and other items,” injuring 21 — including an officer who suffered a broken vertebra “after a concrete block was dropped on his head.”

This is a partial list, not counting lawless protests that blocked interstates, bridges, and other roads across the United States, creating a number of inherently dangerous confrontations between protesters, motorists, and the police. And — again — it’s a partial list from the last week only. Extend the time horizon and the killings increase, the violent protests increase, and the incidents of chants calling for violence multiply.

It seems like this would count as "incitement from any large organization on the left".

Note: I can't watch the video, in the OP, because of limited bandwidth----but, I read the linked article.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 11:49 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Well, I don't think I've ever heard-of Black Lives Matter directly inciting violence, but there sure have been several killings where the killer has said they were doing it in support of the BLM (or, something close to that):

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437677/black-lives-matter-radical-divisive?target=topic&tid=3457

Just for clarification, you want to consider BLM and the NRA as comparable organizations? In terms of budget and membership, there's no comparison.

Also, your article lists the actions of irresponsible individuals who have no connection to the BLM organization, and whom spokespeople for BLM have decried and rejected. You want to compare that to an expensive-looking official video from the NRA? While I like the National Review for their critique of conservatism, they have an awful record on matters of race, as you should well know. In any case, I don't think the comparison is like for like.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:10 pm

Antifa wants combat training and firearms after losing the ‘Battle for Berkeley’

Quote:
This conversation continued, with suggestions for better equipment such as helmets and padding over the typical hoodie and facemask being worn. Another person on this r/anarchism thread suggested they rally behind a leader who can organize and direct actions. The conversation soon turned to weapons, however, and one member in particular suggested they bring firearms.

Not getting disarmed is a big part of the problem, yes, but we need more than flags and bats. We need to take notes from the John Brown Gun Club and get firearms and training. I know getting firearms in states and cities we have a presence in is usually a hassle, but even handguns would help. It would certainly put a psychological element in while holding fash back. Who do you think a fascist is more afraid of? People with only flags and bats, or people with flags, bats, and guns?”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:29 pm

Tough times for the NRA. The gun industry is hurting because Clinton didn't win. They expected her to win and people to buy guns before it was too late. Instead they got stuck with an excess inventory of guns.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Antifa wants combat training and firearms after losing the ‘Battle for Berkeley’

Quote:
This conversation continued, with suggestions for better equipment such as helmets and padding over the typical hoodie and facemask being worn. Another person on this r/anarchism thread suggested they rally behind a leader who can organize and direct actions. The conversation soon turned to weapons, however, and one member in particular suggested they bring firearms.

Not getting disarmed is a big part of the problem, yes, but we need more than flags and bats. We need to take notes from the John Brown Gun Club and get firearms and training. I know getting firearms in states and cities we have a presence in is usually a hassle, but even handguns would help. It would certainly put a psychological element in while holding fash back. Who do you think a fascist is more afraid of? People with only flags and bats, or people with flags, bats, and guns?”

You consider antifa like for like with the NRA? You want to compare an expensive ad with a Reddit thread?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:19 pm

jrjones9933 and Campin_Cat wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Just for clarification, you want to consider BLM and the NRA as comparable organizations? In terms of budget and membership, there's no comparison.

You didn't ask for a "comparable organization"----you quoted the article that asked-for "ANY large organization"; besides, I'm not so sure the size of the organization, has anything to do with it----I'm thinking it only matters, like, how far-reaching their voice, is; and, it seems like, since the BLM has been on the T.V., quite often, the last few years, and the NRA, HASN'T, that seems like the BLM has quite a far-reaching voice.

Also, your article lists the actions of irresponsible individuals who have no connection to the BLM organization, and whom spokespeople for BLM have decried and rejected. You want to compare that to an expensive-looking official video from the NRA? While I like the National Review for their critique of conservatism, they have an awful record on matters of race, as you should well know. In any case, I don't think the comparison is like for like.

Well, as I said, before, I can't watch the video----but, I would think that anyone who watches it, and goes out, and does violent things, wouldn't be any different from the people in the article I linked, in that they wouldn't, necessarily, be members of the NRA.

As for the BLM "decrying and rejecting" it: I would think that if they were TRULY sincere about that, they wouldn't be throwing rocks and bottles at police (as was stated in the article I linked).

As for the "National Review": I don't know that I've ever heard of them, before (maybe I have); so, I certainly don't know what their record is, on race. Since so many people, around here, can get their panties in a wad, regarding sources, I've tried getting into the habit of checking the source's name----but, I haven't quite mastered it, yet.

Because you ALSO went after ASPartOfMe's citation, it doesn't seem like you want to even CONSIDER that there might be someone as evil as what you seem to think, is the NRA----and, that you only want people agreeing with you, that they are rotten, horrible, people, and they must DIE (or, whatever).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 3:29 pm

BTDT wrote:
Tough times for the NRA. The gun industry is hurting because Clinton didn't win. They expected her to win and people to buy guns before it was too late. Instead they got stuck with an excess inventory of guns.

I wouldn't bet on it. With as many mass-murders as there's been, in recent years, it seems another one is just around the corner----and, then they'll sell all that excess inventory, and then some.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:21 pm

CC, you want to use a source of which you know nothing and haven't independently verified?

The National Review opposed ending segregation.

I would have thought that the question implied a similar size to the NRA. But if you want to call their reach comparable, I'd like to see a source. Specifically, a reliable source, just so we're clear.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:26 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Because you ALSO went after ASPartOfMe's citation, it doesn't seem like you want to even CONSIDER that there might be someone as evil as what you seem to think, is the NRA----and, that you only want people agreeing with you, that they are rotten, horrible, people, and they must DIE (or, whatever).[/b][/color]

That's an unfair characterization of my position, and a personal attack.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:05 pm

The NRA is not saying Civil War is coming, only the left is saying that... It's not a threat for violence, it's the opposite. The NRA is asking people to stand up and fight the resistance with a cliched fist of truth. Not a clinched fist around a firearm grip or a literal fist into a protester's mouth. Their asking for people to stand up and speak against the unhinged far left groups to stop the violence.

By the way, NRA has endorsed both democrats and republicans in the past... Seems odd that people are now concerned about a video that's been posted months ago. Almost like they need to hide something with a distraction.

Sincerely,
Life Time NRA Member, may upgrade to endowment this year :thumright:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:11 pm

SH90 wrote:
The NRA is not saying Civil War is coming, only the left is saying that... It's not a threat for violence, it's the opposite. The NRA is asking people to stand up and fight the resistance with a cliched fist of truth. Not a clinched fist around a firearm grip or a literal fist into a protester's mouth. Their asking for people to stand up and speak against the unhinged far left groups to stop the violence.

The NRA says that the government will use the violence of leftist groups as an excuse to confiscate guns. They know how their members feel about that. WTH is the clenched fist of truth, anyway? They could have said fight with the truth.

Also, the right commits far more violence in the US.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 5:30 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Because you ALSO went after ASPartOfMe's citation, it doesn't seem like you want to even CONSIDER that there might be someone as evil as what you seem to think, is the NRA----and, that you only want people agreeing with you, that they are rotten, horrible, people, and they must DIE (or, whatever).[/b][/color]

That's an unfair characterization of my position, and a personal attack.

It's all about facts and facing facts.