Who has an iPod? Who here runs linux on an iPod?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Do you have an iPod?
Yes but I haven't made it run linux 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes but I haven't made it run linux 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Yes, and i've hacked it to run Linux 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Yes, and i've hacked it to run Linux 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No, but I want one. 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
No, but I want one. 23%  23%  [ 9 ]
No, people with iPods are what's wrong with pop-culture or I just don't need one. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
No, people with iPods are what's wrong with pop-culture or I just don't need one. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 40

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Jun 2005, 8:24 am

I got an iPod and its really great. I hacked it to run Linux so I can do all these crazy things with it. I also use it to listen to music but hacking things to run linux is possibly more fun than using them for their intended purposes.

The design of the iPod is awesome. Apple has an amazing design department in my opinion. I really like the way the iPod works. Sorry for writing in such abrupt sentences.

Mythical
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2005, 1:22 pm

I'm considering getting an iPod Mini because my other MP3 player just bit the dust. *loud ahhhhhh from the audience*

Anybody know if they are any good?

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Jun 2005, 4:48 pm

Mythical wrote:
Anybody know if they are any good?

My girlfriend has one. I like the way they look better than the way the normal ipods look. The only reason that I didn't get an iPod mini was the lower hard drive space.

platypus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jun 2005, 5:13 pm

I have an iPod mini. I don't have Linux on it, though. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't run Linux on an iPod mini, at least not the current generation.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 5:23 pm

The 4 gig iPod mini is $200. The 6 gig iPod mini is $250. The 20 gig iPod is $300. Obviously you're paying a lot for the mini's styling, and as stated in other posts, it can't do a lot of the exotic stuff the real iPod can do. I have a 40 gig iPod (3rd generation) that I won at last Summer's Macworld Expo in Boston, and it is my most cherished possession.

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Jun 2005, 5:30 pm

platypus wrote:
I have an iPod mini. I don't have Linux on it, though. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can't run Linux on an iPod mini, at least not the current generation.

You can run linux on the iPod mini but it isn't ready for the 2g. Of course, when the first iPod came out, you couldn't run linux on it until it was ported which takes time so expect to be able to run linux at some point.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 5:39 pm

I've got Sony minidisc - had it for a couple of years, I don't use portable music, so I just need something for recording, so minidisc is ok for me.

What do you do with it other than play music, Alex?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 12:02 am

I've only "used" an iPod once, I was so da*n confused. I couldn't figure out how to browse or select something. So, needless, to say, I despise iPods. Not just for the confusion, they're really expensive. :cry:

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 12:09 am

I've been thinking about getting an MP3 player. But I wouldn't get an iPod. Too expensive, for one, and it doesn't have the features I need. I use FLAC and Ogg Vorbis for storing music, and any player I get would have to support these formats... that limits my options greatly. But there are a few I am looking at.

I would like to get a hard drive based music player just for the car though. Never needing to manage CDs in the car would be nice... and then I could use it for other things as well. I doubt I'll ever get an in-dash CD player installed in a car again, too expensive for realtively little use...

Mythical
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2005, 10:23 am

Just to say I got a Creative Zen Touch 20GB instead.

It has a nice touchpad and 20gb for £149.99

So cheaper than the iPod mini and with 16gb more space :) Apple are very nasty with pricing!

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Jun 2005, 11:05 am

Pugly wrote:
I've been thinking about getting an MP3 player. But I wouldn't get an iPod. Too expensive, for one, and it doesn't have the features I need. I use FLAC and Ogg Vorbis for storing music, and any player I get would have to support these formats... that limits my options greatly. But there are a few I am looking at.

My iPod can play ogg and flac music files.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2005, 3:44 pm

I have a Ipod Mini. I enjoy it and it is easy to use.

jeremy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2005, 1:38 pm

I've always said I'd go and buy an iPod once they can play OGG. Though now I'm using OSX Tiger and it seems there's still no OGG component for QuickTime 7. So maybe I'll just re-encode a heap of stuff into AAC. It seems fairly effortless in any case. As long as I can decode in Linux though.

Now to actually get the thing. Oh and from the sounds if things, you're saying that Linux runs on 4g iPods? I remember reading a while ago that they hadn't quite got there.

theSPECTRE
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2005, 4:54 am

I have a ipod mini, from what I hear they made a linux installer for the ipod its not Offically made for the mini ipod but I'm still pretty sure you can use it. I'm gonna go try it right now I hate MAC OS.

-Tony Mantanna
-Scarface

Say Good Night to the bad guy - Tony Montana
-Scarface