Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 10:18 am

NewTime wrote:
It just seems strange to people to consider humans "apes". Likewise, dogs may be classified as a subspecies of wolf, but in ordinary usage the word "wolf" doesn't include dogs.

But wolves and dogs are all canines.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

Humans evolved from a species of ape. And our body language shows that we are genetically similar to them in every way. And to say humans are apes as an insult is wrong, because apes are actually intelligent, gentle, peaceful creatures.

On second thought, maybe apes evolved from humans.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:49 pm

They sure resemble apes at times.Just think of any high school cafeteria with a food fight going on,the shrill squeals of the females as they get pelted with tater tots and the males grunting as they hurl food around.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 2:32 pm

NewTime wrote:
It just seems strange to people to consider humans "apes". Likewise, dogs may be classified as a subspecies of wolf, but in ordinary usage the word "wolf" doesn't include dogs.

I'm fairly certain that, according to science, dogs are a sort of wolf.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
They sure resemble apes at times.Just think of any high school cafeteria with a food fight going on,the shrill squeals of the females as they get pelted with tater tots and the males grunting as they hurl food around.

Related
VVV

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 6:06 pm

There Are Four Lights!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 6:24 pm

Darmok wrote:

Well ... DNA evidence is just a small part of this.

We also need to look at the fossil record and anatomical structures before coming to any firm conclusions.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 12:43 pm

What about monkeys? Are humans monkeys? We're more closely related to the Old World Monkeys than the Old World Monkeys and us are related to the New World Monkeys. I guess that would make us monkeys. However, in ordinary usage "monkey" and "ape" exclude humans.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 1:45 pm

NewTime wrote:
What about monkeys? Are humans monkeys? We're more closely related to the Old World Monkeys than the Old World Monkeys and us are related to the New World Monkeys. I guess that would make us monkeys. However, in ordinary usage "monkey" and "ape" exclude humans.

As I understand it, English is the only language that makes a distinction between apes and monkeys, whereas most other languages don't. So that distinction is only a matter of linguistics. But even in English, humans, apes, and monkeys are all primates.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 1:54 pm

NewTime wrote:

The YouTube user AronRa has argued that we are monkeys using this logic.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 2:15 pm

We're all descended from apes

Charles Darwin said so.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 2:22 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
We're all descended from apes

Charles Darwin said so.

We are still apes.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 9:44 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
NewTime wrote:

As I understand it, English is the only language that makes a distinction between apes and monkeys, whereas most other languages don't. So that distinction is only a matter of linguistics. But even in English, humans, apes, and monkeys are all primates.

As I understand it, monkeys and apes together may be referred to as 'simians'. That leaves the lemurs as non-simian primates. So to recap:

Humans are primates, just like apes, monkeys, and lemurs.
Humans are simians, just like apes and monkeys.
Humans are, arguably, apes ourselves.

In Dutch, the word 'aap' indeed refers to both monkeys and apes, but apes as a taxon are called 'mensapen'-- literally 'human-monkeys'.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2017, 3:01 pm

That's what I have heard. That only in English is there a distinction between "monkeys and apes".

Even in English "ape" originally meant "tailless monkey".

And when the English speakers invented the word they first applied the term to the critters that they encountered relatively close to England: the common critters in North Africa (and on the Rock of Gibralter) still called "Barbary apes" which are not even zoologically classified as "apes" today. Barbary "apes" are a type of macaque which is an old world monkey. A monkey that happens to lack a tail.

Probably only later, when they explored more of the world, and encountered other tail less primates, like gibbons, orangutans, chimps, and gorillas, did the word get applied to creatures that are still officially classed as "apes" today.

But apes (in the modern taxon) do seem to be a real group with certain common anatomical traits that monkeys lack. Monkeys (old and new world) have the same kind of joint in their shoulders that dogs, cats, and horses, have. They can only move their forelimbs in one plane (like a human climbing a ladder). They cant spread their arms out side ways. But gibbons, the great apes, and humans, all have something in common that no other mammals have: ball-and-socket type joints in both arms and hips, and all of them can spread their arms out sideways, and can move their forelimbs in both planes of motion (important for supporting a heavier body in the trees). This implies that that whole group of primates (including us) inherited ball and socket joints from a single common ancestor that had split off from the monkeys.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2017, 2:42 pm

An ape is a primate sharing a common descent with all species in the superfamily Hominoidea.

This taxonomic group includes all species of gorilla, chimpanzee, gibbon, bonobo, orangutan, and yes, human.

I think a better question is, why do some say that humans aren't apes? After all, in a purely scientific sense, no one would disagree that humans are animals, nor disagree that we are mammals, nor that we are primates. But then why does the "A word" seem to upset so many people? I think it should be perfectly obvious that humans are not monkeys, lemurs, or tarsiers, so if we aren't apes, what are we?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 3:16 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
An ape is a primate sharing a common descent with all species in the superfamily Hominoidea.

This taxonomic group includes all species of gorilla, chimpanzee, gibbon, bonobo, orangutan, and yes, human.

I think a better question is, why do some say that humans aren't apes? After all, in a purely scientific sense, no one would disagree that humans are animals, nor disagree that we are mammals, nor that we are primates. But then why does the "A word" seem to upset so many people? I think it should be perfectly obvious that humans are not monkeys, lemurs, or tarsiers, so if we aren't apes, what are we?

Ego. Apes are dumb and uncivilized, no human wants to be called dumb and uncivilized (although a lot are). It doesn't matter if the human is reaching in their backside grabbing a handful and smearing it on a wall, they still want to believe that they're better than their ape cousins even if the facts disagree.