I'm a Noob, but I think I've finally found my home planet...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

EC0508
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jul 2017, 6:20 pm

Hey ya'll -- I'm new here. Words are hard, but I'm sure many can relate. I'm a 25 y/o male from Salt Lake City, Utah. I've recently noticed that I have traits for having Asperger's Syndrome. I recently moved back home with my partner of two years from Portland, Oregon. I had a super difficult time adjusting to the environment out there, especially social situations, and certain noises. After a few visits with a psychiatrist in Portland (and a little feedback from my family), I've come to the conclusion that I may very well be on the spectrum, yet still need to have an official evaluation.

In many ways, I find it to be a blessing because I feel like I'm coming closer to an answer I've been looking for for the last ten years. I've spent my life struggling in social situations, and was always an anxious kid. I've found that I'd become attached to certain people; however, when these people weren't around (i.e., my older brother, my mom, and some close friends), then I'd become panic stricken. Eye contact makes me uncomfortable. I've always been more comfortable being in my head -- immersing myself in my thoughts, ideas, and imagination. I've always had a hard time multi-tasking, yet when I'm able to focus on one thing at a time, I have a much more driven and engaged. I think a diagnosis was always overlooked because I was just a well behaved kid. Still, I'd spend my time organizing my room and lining up my toys, color-coordinating and alphabetization of things, and collecting things growing up. Not being able to collect or organize particular things gives me anxiety, and it always has. I have always had a tendency to bite my nails, burst into (very off key!) song, pace around my home, among other habits. I've found animals to be very therapeutic, as well as music, the latter of which, better allows me to feel certain emotions.

At fifteen when I started high school, I was depressed due to the onslaught of new people and the stimuli. However, at the time, I realized that I am gay, and overlooked the other signs/symptoms when I was becoming comfortable with my sexuality. In fact, my PCP at the time diagnosed me as bi-polar, and threw at me an anti-depressant and a muscle relaxer. Ten years down the road, I still always felt that something was missing (doctor's had even at one point called me an enigma), and I think I've finally realized what it is ... ASD. I'm so grateful to have found this website to help me understand myself, and to network. I really struggled when I went to college, and began jumping from job to job because I would feel so anxious and that I never quite found my niche in the world. I guess this is my story, and that's why I'm here. Any words of advice would be really helpful, as well as what steps need to be taken for an official diagnosis. Anywho, I hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Thanks for reading (if you made it through the wall of text!) :D :jester:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 8:28 am

You've come to the right place

There happens to be a guy from Millcreek, Utah right here on this Site.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

EC0508
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm

Thank you guys! And @kraftiekortie, I will keep my eyes out for a local from the area here, too. Much appreciated. :)