Should religions be classified as Fake News? The bible seems

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 8:25 am

Should religions be classified as Fake News? The bible seems to say yes.

Fake News is what many are calling lies or distortions of the truth these days.

No organizations distort the truth and outright lie about Gods than the organized religions.

Should religions be classified as Fake News?

The bible seems to say yes.

Isaiah 56:11) "They are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, each on to his unjust gain, to the last one" But do not despair, for the day of judgment is at hand, for the day of judgment and the day of the LORD occupy the same time frame. All the dross will be burned away. (Zech 13:9) & (Malachi 3:3). In that day, "you will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked" (Malachi 3:18)

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Regards
DL

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

No organizations distort the truth and outright lie about Gods than the organized religions.

Isaiah 56:11) "They are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, each on to his unjust gain, to the last one" But do not despair, for the day of judgment is at hand, for the day of judgment and the day of the LORD occupy the same time frame. All the dross will be burned away. (Zech 13:9) & (Malachi 3:3). In that day, "you will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked" (Malachi 3:18)

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Regards
DL

Religions aren't fake news.
They aren't news. :lol:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 9:25 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Religions aren't fake news.
They aren't news. :lol:

That is not what they say. They say their holy books show the good news.

So their calling their bible good news, is Fake News.

Regards
DL

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 10:06 pm

I'm confused. On the one hand you state that "religions" (i.e. religious beliefs other than, but inclusive of, Christianity) claim to be about spreading "good news" and you quote from the Bible, a text that the vast majority of religions (like Buddhism) reject. You also don't provide any evidence (like quotes from other scriptures, like the Quran) to substantiate your claim. So... do you mean just Christianity, or religions in general, and if the latter, could you provide evidence (like quotes from the relevant texts) to back up your assertion here? You seem to have equated the word 'religion' with the word 'Christianity' for some weird reason.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 3:49 pm

fake news from 2000 years ago.

nothing's older than yesterday's newspaper.....

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 5:08 pm

You've made claims about The Bible before that, when challenged, turned out to be false. It's interesting that you don't seem to mind talking about something that you've been proven not to understand.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 5:36 pm

will@rd wrote:

Prager University is not an accredited academic institution and does not offer certifications or diplomas.

also: it's called the argument by incredulity.
[sarcasm] I just can't believe this coin flip sequence came up in exactly this order: HHTHTTTHTTTHTHTHHHTHTHTTTHTHTT.
Which is exactly as likely as if it had been all heads or all tails. [/sarcasm]
All we can say with certainty is, that it happened to happen.

No reason to follow a book that says we should stone to death women who happened to have sex before getting married.

but the OP's phrasing suggests that there's no need to argue about this in this thread, as the question is about whether the term fake news is apropriate. it is not.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:16 am

Fake Olds.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 9:21 am

The Bible is not bullcrap. It's a mixture of allegory, moral treatise, songbook, and history written under the ancient standards of scholarship.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 1:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
not bullcrap

Quote:
ancient standards of scholarship

Make your mind up. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 7:47 pm

It's not bullcrap. I just don't believe in God, that's all.

I've had my mind made up for a while now.

The "history" written in the Bible has truth to it---but, similar to Roman and Greek histories, has embellishments, too.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 2:13 am

What percentage of the book would you say is accurate?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 5:36 am

Depends on the section. And the type of work of the particular "book."

Much of the genealogy can be said to be "mythological." The more recent, the more accurate.

Of course, the various laws advocated are "accurate," for they were reflective of the times when the Bible was written.

Revelations: literally....almost all inaccurate. Some have "come true" in an extremely broad sense.

The Psalms: they are songs. No judgment of accuracy is needed.

The various accounts of Jesus: Subjective impressions. Probably at least some accuracy in them.

Historical events portrayed: probably some accuracy, some mythology, subjective impressions.

If I believed in the God portrayed, I would probably find the Bible more accurate. I still wouldn't take much of it literally, though. It's a work of allegory and mythology, primarily.