Why do so many young men have beards?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2017, 11:47 am

I've noticed that almost every young man I see in public has a full grown beard or some type of facial hair. These men are usually between 18-30. I even see some boys in high school with full grown beards. On college campuses the majority of male students have beards. What is it about beards and facial hair that is so appealing to men? Ever since I hit puberty and had the ability to grow facial hair, I have shaved every chance I have had. I have never had any desire to grow a beard or any type of facial hair. The main reason I don't want facial hair is because it makes you look older. They say that beards can make a man look up to 8-10 years older than his actual age. I'm trying to avoid looking any older that I am and trying to stay as young looking as possible. These men with beards in their teens or early 20s makes them look like they are in their late 20s or 30s. Another reason I don't want to grow a beard is because they are itchy and high maintenance. If you are trying to find a job, some employers may not hire you unless you shave your beard off. I don't know what having a beard does for men. You could not pay me to grow one.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 12:57 pm

I'm guessing some men prefer the feel of a beard over facial razor rash. It's bad enough on the legs, can't imagine what it would be like on the face.

Sudocreme btw, is the king of soothing razor rash.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:50 pm

Maybe it's because hippie days are back again and some guys want all of their hair to be long on them.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 5:58 pm

I have a beard, a big burly red beard (and blonde hair, go figure), and all I can say is that my face feels like sandpaper when it's shaved, which is not a pleasant feeling-- for me at least.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:05 pm

I don't like those old man beards. They age themselves by about 10-20 years. Really don't do themselves any favours.

I mean these:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:08 pm

Beards have become rather popular in the past few years, like moreso than in the 90's so there is somewhat of a beard trend going on...which is why it may seem like so many guys have them. I am not entirely sure why exactly...

I myself have come to like beards on guys, my boyfriend has one and I really like it..I found an old ID of his that showed him without the beard and he didn't look bad, but yeah I think he looks a bit better with the beard. He thinks he'd look too young if he shaved it off and doesn't like his chin so prefers to have the beard. My brother has been working on growing his beard because he likes it and he's trying to go for somewhat of a viking look...lol.

Also most guys who like their beard don't want to work for an employer who requires they shave it....at least that is the impression I get.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:09 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I have a beard, a big burly red beard (and blonde hair, go figure), and all I can say is that my face feels like sandpaper when it's shaved, which is not a pleasant feeling-- for me at least.

I actually see guys with blond hair and red beards quite a lot, or maybe I just notice it more because that's what my boyfriend has going on as well.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:16 pm

smudge wrote:
I don't like those old man beards. They age themselves by about 10-20 years. Really don't do themselves any favours.

I mean these:

what about this:

I like it better

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:17 pm

I had sandy blond hair before it went gray. I had some red hairs in my beard and mustache when I had them in my 20's. It was a pretty bad beard, perhaps similar to a "neckbeard" beard.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:21 pm

smudge wrote:

I mean these:

Yeah, those are grotesque. I keep mine short, very short. When I say big and burly, I mean it's healthy and thick, not necessarily long. Most women are turned off by beards, but those that like them love them. I had a college professor that would bring up my facial hair every other class, she was very intoxicated by it, not that I cared much since I'm asexual, lol.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

I actually see guys with blond hair and red beards quite a lot, or maybe I just notice it more because that's what my boyfriend has going on as well.

Didn't recognize the avatar change. Winter is coming...in July, lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:25 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Didn't recognize the avatar change. Winter is coming...in July, lol.

It was to do with Game of Thrones, but still a little outdated because in the series winter has come...isn't still coming.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

It was to do with Game of Thrones, but still a little outdated because in the series winter has come...isn't still coming.

I'm pretty sure Winter isn't here, last I checked the white walkers were barely past the wall...more like fall is setting, not winter coming lol. But that's neither here nor there, back to the discussion at hand...

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 9:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

a lot of men have red beards but not red hair. something to do with a common phenotype of incompletely dominant genes.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 9:27 pm

as for OP, perhaps its also a convenient style trend for those who don't care enough about not having facial hair to shave.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

seaweed wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

a lot of men have red beards but not red hair. something to do with a common phenotype of incompletely dominant genes.

So now not only do I have autism, you're accusing me of being incomplete and a sub? :wink: