Low Grade because I didn't understand assignment.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2017, 12:02 pm

Just a short rant... I'm not really sure what to do. I got a 39% on an assignment (which dropped my grade to a C) because I didn't understand what the assignment was telling me to do. I even tried to clarify with the instructor but I guess I STILL didn't understand what I was supposed to do, she basically just re-iterated what the assignment was saying, which didn't help. I ended up over-complicating it. My classes are 100% online, and the instructor doesn't really respond to inquiries in the fastest manner, especially since I can only really do my assignments on the weekends because I work during the week. Do you think it's okay for me to ask for a makeup assignment or extra credit? I don't know what to do...

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2017, 12:26 am

PhoenixRain wrote:
Just a short rant... I'm not really sure what to do. I got a 39% on an assignment (which dropped my grade to a C) because I didn't understand what the assignment was telling me to do. I even tried to clarify with the instructor but I guess I STILL didn't understand what I was supposed to do, she basically just re-iterated what the assignment was saying, which didn't help. I ended up over-complicating it. My classes are 100% online, and the instructor doesn't really respond to inquiries in the fastest manner, especially since I can only really do my assignments on the weekends because I work during the week. Do you think it's okay for me to ask for a makeup assignment or extra credit? I don't know what to do...

It doesn't hurt to ask provided you can do so without being argumentative or getting into an argument. A lot of times they won't allow a do-over or make up assignment but are more open to an extra credit assignment.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 8:04 am

definitely ask, there is nothing to lose there.
you can also look in the syllabus to see if extra credit/make-up assignments are mentioned anywhere so you can be in the know about the instructor's policies.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 8:08 am

Redoing and submitting the correct assignment will create a good impression and help you later. It shows you care about learning the material, not just a grade.