Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Nyctalope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2017, 10:38 pm

EverythingAndNothing wrote:
I've always found it easier to give a speech than participate in a group discussion. I like that I can rehearse the speech in advance and I don't have to think on the spot or deal with rapid subject changes or social cues. I've always found it helpful to do lots of rehearsing and make notecards of subjects that I want to mention so that I can glance down and get back on track if I get nervous and start to forget things. I was also always taught to look over people's heads. I get nervous if I make eye contact with people so I tend to avoid it during speeches out of fear that I might blank.
Also, if being asked questions at the end, I like to think of it as just a one-on-one conversation with the person who asked it. If I can forget that the other people are there, it makes it easier for me to respond. I've also learned that pausing when speaking is totally normal and acceptable. It's okay to take a few extra seconds to come up with an answer or frame how you're going to say something before you say it. If you start to go blank or you feel like you're not getting things across properly, just take a few seconds to breathe and recollect yourself. It's totally normal.

I also hate discussions, three years ago I had classes with them and I don't even want to think about it.
As you also suggest I'll take notes with me, if I can't memorize or more probably I think I won't be able to speak well because of anxiety I'll just take the whole script I don't care what they think, I'm not even a regular student and won't be getting credits. I won't be able to "cheat" at Q&A session though, if I won't be able to think properly I'll try to follow your suggestion, breathing to stay calm and imagine one-to-one conversations.
The thing is tomorrow, I'll spend the day rehearsing.