Page 5 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 11:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My father was born in 1932. He had many of the conservative aspects of the Silent Generation. He wasn't into literature; he was more into succeeding in business.
My father was more silent generation than beat generation too,I don't think he ever read Ginsberg or anyone like that.My father grew up in rural Washington state and wasn't really part of the beat generation but the silent/beat generation were the same birth years,the difference is cultural.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 11:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My father was born in 1932. He had many of the conservative aspects of the Silent Generation. He wasn't into literature; he was more into succeeding in business.

My father was born in 1930 . In the UK he was a Tory supporter . He has lived the USA since 1981 and is not someone who likes the Republicans or Trump . Perhaps conservatism in the USA is more to the right than conservatism in the UK. It was never a case of "All work and no literature" with him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 11:48 am

My father had an intense dislike for Trump----even though he was a conventional business-type conservative.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 12:12 pm

My father was born in 1934 and was part of the silent generation (also referred to as the beat generation).He was very conservative in his younger years but became more liberal as he got older.He voted Obama in 08 and died in 2010 without any knowledge of Trump.

He died on may 28th the same day former king Edward the 8th died in 1972.interesting?And another interesting thing is my father died the same day as Gary Coleman 5-28-2010 Coleman died two hours earlier.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 6:01 pm

A certain horrible subset of the internet is calling the coronavirus 'boomer remover'

Quote:
The internet's latest meme is pretty horrible.

Taking off on Reddit and infiltrating social media, "boomer remover" has become a coronavirus catchphrase among younger generations, reported Hannah Sparks for The New York Post.

That's because people over 60 are at greater risk of becoming ill than younger folks who don't have underlying health conditions (those who do have preexisting conditions are also at higher risk). Coronavirus risk increases with age, making people in their 80s and 90s at the highest risk.

These facts have given some millennials and Gen Z a false sense of confidence that the coronavirus is only a threat to baby boomers — hence the trending #BoomerRemover.

As Rana Foroohar for Financial Times explains, "Young people calling the coronavirus a 'boomer remover' may reflect the general lack of empathy in society these days, but it may also mirror the free-floating political anger that the current generation has for their elders."

"This is a joking reaction to our frustration with boomers as a generation," one Twitter user wrote. "We've been told we're 'too' sensitive, dismissed on climate change, constantly told we're entitled."

On the flip side, some millennials are using the "Boomer Remover" trend not out of insensitivity, but to get their parents to stay home, reported Sparks. The coronavirus is scary to the millennial generation because it shows them how old their parents are. Business Insider's Hayley Peterson spoke to several millennials who said they are concerned about their parents' health and frustration in trying to convince them to stay inside.

"I had to tell my 70 yr old mum that they're calling this pandemic the Boomer Remover before I could convince her to cancel all of her boomer cluster activities," tweeted Twitter user Kaya Wilson.

Young people aren't as invincible as they think they are.

"One of the worst messaging errors of this event has been the overemphasis on it being a problem mainly for the elderly," tweeted Twitter user Bodie B, when retweeting the account of a 36-year-old nurse without preexisting conditions infected with coronavirus.

Up to 20% of people hospitalized with the coronavirus in the US are young adults between ages 20 and 44, according to a CDC report issued last Wednesday, which analyzed about 2,500 coronavirus patients in the US. Consider the 26-year-old who works out six days a week and has no prior immune or respiratory conditions, but was recently hospitalized for coronavirus, according to her account for The New York Times.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 12:40 am

Errr...
Aren't the young people responsible for most of the irresponsible social mingling, as was seen on Bondi Beach?
Aren't they predominantly spreading the coronavirus? 8O

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

Pepe wrote:
Errr...
Aren't the young people responsible for most of the irresponsible social mingling, as was seen on Bondi Beach?

I wonder which age group is most likely to lose their job during this whole thing.

Yes, some kids are not taking this seriously, but to put this on young people on general is not too cool. Just lost my job two days ago as the most junior part of the office.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 5:53 pm

Pepe wrote:
Errr...

I've been getting chewed out for two days on another forum I use by a pack of older deplorables for taking this seriously and suggesting it's going to become worse over the next few weeks. There's probably a few demographic blocs that don't take it seriously and still behaving in ways likely to contribute to spreading it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 9:57 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Errr...

I wonder which age group is most likely to lose their job during this whole thing.

Yes, some kids are not taking this seriously, but to put this on young people on general is not too cool. Just lost my job two days ago as the most junior part of the office.

Firstly:
Every single young person under 30 is responsible for behaving irresponsibly.
Every single one.

I know this is an autistic website and autistics, well some, have difficulty with humour, so I will explicitly say that I wasn't being serious, here. :wink:

The situation here in Australia was the following:
The Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, strongly recommended social distancing.
A day(?) after this, the sun was out and overwhelmingly young people under 30 flocked to the beaches, the most infamous in this event was Bondi Beach.

As a result of this *specific* incident, the government locked down the beaches because of the recalcitrant behaviour of predominately the young.

There is no question that here in Oz, it was the irresponsible behaviour of younger people which precipitated the actions of the government on that weekend.

Also, I have seen videos of American young people openly stating they will not comply with social distancing since it only kills "old people". 8O
If you like, I could try and find them.
I'd be surprised if there weren't heaps on the net. :wink:

Are there recalcitrant older people?
Of course.
A 65-year-old woman yesterday was fined $1000AU (probably about $5 American dollars. :mrgreen: ) for not comply with self-isolation. 8O
There would be heaps more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 10:08 pm

AU $1000 is about $600 US.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 10:17 pm

Pepe wrote:
I know this is an autistic website and autistics, well some, have difficulty with humour, so I will explicitly say that I wasn't being serious, here. :wink:

So you make a statement that young people are the ones spreading it, then you say that was a joke, and then straight away you quote events of "young people" being irresponsible? That is not how comedy works.

Do you think DT is a young person in wanting to kickstart the economy again too quickly? There are clips of older American people who say that they would sort themselves out or would rather die than let economies continue to decline. The only way to get out of this will be via eschewing capitalism by programs to help all the people who can't support themselves, the sort of thing that Boomers may especially oppose.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2020, 2:41 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Pepe wrote:

So you make a statement that young people are the ones spreading it, then you say that was a joke, and then straight away you quote events of "young people" being irresponsible? That is not how comedy works.

Re-read my post.
I said *all* young people were irresponsible.
That was the part I wasn't serious about. :wink:

BTW,
It is ironic that my efforts to alleviate confusion was unsuccessful. :wink:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2020, 2:46 am

I blame the Sumerians.

Those irresponsible civilisation-inventing reprobates: did they ever think of the long-term consequences?

Grrrrrr.

:wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2020, 3:01 am

Karamazov wrote:
I blame the Sumerians.

Those irresponsible civilisation-inventing reprobates: did they ever think of the long-term consequences?

Grrrrrr.

Thankfully, they are mostly extinct.
Karma. :wink:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2020, 3:32 am

Pepe wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
I blame the Sumerians.

Grrrrrr.

Thankfully, they are mostly extinct.
Karma. :wink:

That makes it even worse!

By dying they have evaded being hectored over the internet regarding the unintended consequences of actions they took in good faith.
How am I meant to feel better about my situation now? :P

In addition I think we should note this example of feckless ancestral despoliation of the earth’s resources:
Quote:
Until now, many Neanderthal sites had shown only small-scale use of marine resources; for example, scattered shells. But now archaeologists have excavated a cave on the coast of Portugal and discovered a huge, structured deposit of remains, including from mussels and limpets, dating to between 106,000 and 86,000 years ago.
Researchers say the discovery shows that Neanderthals systematically collected seafood: in some layers the density of shells was as high as 370kg per cubic metre.

Of course the repugnant malingerers are using extinction as an excuse for not answering the demands of justice! :evil:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2020, 9:56 am

WOW JUST Wow .... there is a degree of personal responsibility that each individual should really take for themselves , being a late daughter of a man born before 1910 , There was a work ethic established in all persons born into my family . Even myself and my non verbal sister eventually although it took until her late teens early twenties it was not something that was optional . It was part of learning. Being concieved late in this mans life , he was quite prolific in his acheivements. But a different set of values as many people ,for his time he started out in a farm community .
Work was seen as a benefit. Not like free gov benefits but better job meant better benefits .
Now comes the idea of baby boomers whose ideas , were equality and free love. but the 50s generation were still into control of the masses and proper indoctrination of those in power .
( the establishment) the goal of the boomers was to get those in power to recognize the needs of humans as a whole. But using their manipulation of power , wars were prolong incited and idea of peace was downtrodden , Enforcing their edits through forced conscription of the populace .
those whom held onto their principals fled the country to Canada, Others jailed and branded draft dodgers, unless your parents were well monied , in which case if you submitted to prevailing governments edicts , you could be excuse or groomed into a position of authority in which you helped enforced this governments edicts . Which generally put you into a comfortable middleclass or upper middleclass role in society , as long as you supported those edicts. Times have changed situations have not too much, except the virus thing.. If your work ethic is high and depending upon your abilities you , either get into the Governmental flow or not.. Those not able to do gainful employment are still considered disabled and still looked on , generally as less desireable, as a prevailing opinion supported by a media controlled by big business and the Gov. Only slowly with great efforts and only very slight has the media in the recent years softened their veiws on the disabled. ..the Country is still run by government excesses for the government .. and this was the , the issue the boomers were trying to disable. But this is merely my own veiw, through the years of what i recall.. your veiw may differ. ( btw this is the condensed form}

where ever you go ,there you are