Soon to be high school senior with question for older aspies

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Accommodations?
Poll ended at 22 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm
I receive(d) accommodations and find/found them effective/appropriate 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
I do/did not receive(d) accommodations 88%  88%  [ 14 ]
I receive(d) accommodations and did not find them effective/appropriate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

Hi all, for those of you who work, do you have/have you gotten accommodations? I put together a list of accommodations that I will probably need at work, and I want to know how realistic they are.

Accommodations:

Quieter work environment

Permission to change uniform (dress differently due to sensory issues/wear noise-cancelling headphones)

Note taking assistance with clients/at meetings even if on laptop (cannot listen and take notes at the same time)

Permission to fidget at meetings/ on breaks

For reference, I will most likely work in a hospital setting as a speech pathologist.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 6:54 pm

Accommodations:

Quieter work environment
You probably won't get this unless you're a PhD, or the Head of the department----or, work for the government, or some other entity that has a union.

Permission to change uniform (dress differently due to sensory issues/wear noise-cancelling headphones)
You probably won't be allowed to do this----you can wear a different uniform, than everyone else, but you'll just have to find a product that is least bothersome.

Note taking assistance with clients/at meetings even if on laptop (cannot listen and take notes at the same time)
I doubt, very much, if you'll get this----unless, you pay, out of your own pocket, for a court-reporter-type person----and, even so, you may not have clients, everyday; what're gonna do, keep a court-reporter-type person, on retainer (if not, you'll get a different one, every time----can you deal with that?).

Permission to fidget at meetings/ on breaks
You don't need permission to fidget on breaks----and, you really don't need permission to fidget during meetings (they'll probably laugh at you, for asking), because if you fidget with an office-type thing (ie, pen, paper clips), alot of people do that----and, unless you do something "weird" with it, like fidget at warp speed, or something, I doubt anybody will pay much attention.

For reference, I will most likely work in a hospital setting as a speech pathologist.
You're really young----and, have a lonnnnnng way to go, before you qualify for a job like this----and, you'll probably grow / mature alot, by then, and may not even need any of these accommodations. What are you gonna do in college if you're in a noisy classroom / lecture hall----and, who're you gonna get to take your notes, THEN? (Not everybody is willing to share their notes.)

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2017, 8:23 pm

Campin_Cat for college I plan to live at home and go. In terms of notes, I qualify for an aide/provider because of my physical disability which thank goodness is visible so they could help me take notes but I've done well in AP and Honors courses with basically no notes thanks to my auditory memory. I'm more concerned with keeping patient records so that when my patients see another doctor they have a complete record on file.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 10:55 pm

You could use a digital recorder and type notes up later. My endocrinologist does this except he doesn't do the typing, he has a secretary who does it but it still gets the notes recorded. He just sums up/records what he wants typed up.
And I have never met a speech path who wore a uniform. It may different in different countries though. I have worked in Hospitals as a Nurse. My experience is they will expect you to fit in with a minimum of fuss.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 1:57 am

i've never had accommodations of any type at any job, but granted i've only had sh***y kitchen/restaurant jobs (so far).

i don't think i'll need them, unless they make an accommodation that covers up my sh***y sense of humor that often rubs others the wrong way.

Campin_Cat wrote:
I doubt, very much, if you'll get this----unless, you pay, out of your own pocket, for a court-reporter-type person----and, even so, you may not have clients, everyday; what're gonna do, keep a court-reporter-type person, on retainer (if not, you'll get a different one, every time----can you deal with that?).

i suppose she could find a way to quietly and unintrusively record a meeting, and then play it back later at a more convenient time/place and take notes from there. i don't think that's too much to ask unless there isn't time outside of meetings to take the notes. there's the kicker.

there are technologies that transcribe speech into notes, and your mileage can vary on the accuracy, but i've seen them used plenty.

Campin_Cat wrote:
You don't need permission to fidget on breaks----and, you really don't need permission to fidget during meetings (they'll probably laugh at you, for asking), because if you fidget with an office-type thing (ie, pen, paper clips), alot of people do that----and, unless you do something "weird" with it, like fidget at warp speed, or something, I doubt anybody will pay much attention.

true. noone's gonna look under the desk and catch you fiddling with your feet, right?

...right?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 8:00 am

... I've never worked a real job - in the last 20 years I've been homeless, or next thing to it, continuously, and K have never really had good security and, at the same time, motivation and real encourage mentioned/help from outside at the same time - never :(. Prior to that my life was thrown off the tracks by parental/authorities interference that f****d me up, and more lack of good security, and not getting to find is my education :cry: - and I tried, too. This is going 15 or so years previous to 20 years ago, 35 years or so, my whole adult life or so :cry:.
I never experienced " accommodations " culture, either:-(.
So, literally, I don't fit the profile of who you're asking in your OP, though I fit the headline description, so I came in this line. I answered " did not ".

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jul 2017, 8:27 am

I’ve sort of gradually worked accommodations in my job over the years. For instance, I block the light over my desk and wear a hat due to light sensitivity. I started wearing earplugs when I worked in a factory type setting and loved it so wear them at desk sometimes now too. I have a fan to blow smelly colognes and perfumes away. If it gets too noisy for me to work, I walk away and come back. I do hourly checks with myself when I’m feeling overwhelmed to see how I can make things better…on other days I sit quietly and meditate for at least 5-10 minutes, at least 3 times in the day. It really helps a lot. I limit my caffeine. I make sure to drink plenty of water, eat healthy and exercise. They make little hand held recorders that people used when I was in college, was great for getting all the info from a lecture. Most places I think will accommodate you, I think my biggest worry is that there is prevalent ableism, people fear the disabled and sometimes will try to push them out. People do not like what they can’t understand or what they fear, it seems.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

For most of my life formal "accommodations" haven't existed. I've been given informal "accommodations," though, on some jobs I've had. Academically. Never any accommodations.