It is time for the Republican Party to end!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2017, 8:56 pm

Recall that line from The Last Jedi trailer where Luke says that the Jedi Order must end? I think the same is true for the Republican Party. Not that I'm a fan of the Democrat Party, quite the opposite. It's just that I think the GOP has lost its way and is now actually helping the Democrats survive by refusing to act to actually defeat them and opposing those who actually try.

It's quite clear that the Mitch McConnells and the Paul Ryans run the party and that the Ted Cruzs will just get getting attacked in there.

I think the best way to beat it is to try what Theodore Roosevelt did, only this time to succeed. Problem is, we'd need someone with a lot of pull to do better than Theodore Roosevelt (who got more votes than the Republican Party, but ended up splitting the vote allowing Wilson to win.) Anyway, while Trump basically did this within the Republican Party, as did Reagan, I think someone needs to do it outside of the Republican Party. They'd need to get 270 or more outright because:

1.) If they get less than 270 and nobody gets 270, then Congress gets to pick the President, which means that it will be either a Republican or a Democrat (depending on how the House goes in 2018.)
2.) If they get more than the Republican but manage to split the vote so that the Democrat can get 270 or more, that won't be good either.

Interestingly, the last Third Party upset was Abraham Lincoln, the first Republican President. However, in that case, the Democrat Party was split into far more split into two, which helped him, and the Constitutional Union Party was newer, at least I think it was. Interestingly, while not literally split now, there is a split between the Bernie/Warren half and the Obama/Hillary half. Still, I cannot conceive of a way, at least under our current constitutional structure, to get someone third party to win with 270 or more outright.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 10:09 pm

I think the only thing that could cause a credible third-party event would be a tragedy of the sort that would really shake national psychology and perception to the core. I clearly don't want to see that happen and I'd love to see us innovate out from under the government - increasingly make it a niche and obsolete thing - but I don't see major political reforms without a really hard turn in public perception of reality.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2017, 9:41 am

As much as I dislike the Republican party I don't think ending the GOP and moving to a single party system is going to help. The Republican party is their own worst enemy. Eventually they end themselves.