Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 12:17 pm

I'm more of a self taught person. I taught myself everything, and I think I learned more, doing things myself, and teaching myself rather then school. I love going to libary and book stores to just read up on stuff, instead of going to classes and having to take quizzes and tests. I rather just teach myself, if you know what I mean. Did anybody here learn more by themselves, like self teach yourself, or are you more school taught, and learned everything in life through school?

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 12:25 pm

i never liked doing what i was forced to do :) the higher school the easier for me it was to learn. the secondary school was easier than the basic school and the university was easier than the secondary school :)

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 12:29 pm

I attended school. But I was self-taught. 8)
I love university though.
Lectures are awesome.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 12:30 pm

Well, in school, i was in a constant state of sensory overload and discomfort especially in elementary school. I didn't connect in ANY of my classes after kindergarten. By the fouth and fifth grade, i had already taught myself past that grade level in most things on my own...I was scoring really high grades in standardised tests...Just by reading and doing the other things i did outside of school. School itself was just a necessary torture. It got slightly better later on though

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:40 pm

Hated school after the age of 10...hated uni too. College was okay.
I just prefer to choose my own subjects of learning.
Even at uni, I found the areas for English very restrictive.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:42 pm

I love uni. Especially the units I've chosen for second year. I can't wait till September!
I just wish I could so the Soviet/Russian history unit too. Although I have a WWII unit, so there'll be Soviet stuff in that! Yay!
Sorry, this isn't a history thread. I'll stop now.

I didn't learn much in school.
I taught myself most of what I know.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:57 pm

Whatever very basic math skills I still remember I learned it from school. I don't recall much of anything specific from science class ). Umm... I started to read allot myself and not through school (I wasn't interested in the stuff they had). I was already into history by the time they finally got around to the stuff I was interested in, at that point far more advanced then the general text.

Diddles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2007, 2:48 pm

Home educated. Praise be to Thor, I was yanked from the public school system at 11 and never looked back. No qualifications, though. Crap. I guess I'll have to hijack an ICBM.

Still, I'm quite impressed with my information bank in that I can pretty much hold a conversation on any random topic whatsoever, and have more general knowledge on that topic than the other guy. Woo for internets!

So, yeah. Completely self taught.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 3:05 pm

Self taught. Whatever I'm interested in I read EVERYTHING I can on the subject. Whatever I'm not interested in... oh well.

KalahariMeerkat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 May 2007, 3:25 pm

I can't remember anything I learned in school. Teachers just couldn't force me to do things unless they wanted to trigger a violent meltdown. The only things I remember are things I taught myself that are things I wanted to learn about. Mainly advanced zoology and more advanced zoology. And when I say advenced I mean advanced.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 May 2007, 3:33 pm

self taught. school was just the governments way to get me ready for a job

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 3:42 pm

richardbenson wrote:
self taught. school was just the governments way to get me ready for a job

Yeh. Then by the time you go to work you'll already be skilled in staying awake for seven hours of boredom five days a week.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 3:46 pm

All I learned at school was stuff they didn't intend to teach me. Like sociology. Also self-taught.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 3:50 pm

self taught 8)

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 4:03 pm

Everything I've learned has been self-taught from books. I have a degree but it doesn't represent much real learning.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 5:08 pm

Self taught all the way. In school I always worked "In parallel" to the class, I can't pay attention and learn at the same time.