What to do if another book has the same title as mine?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

KDS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

Hey guys! I know it's been a while since I've posted on here!

I've had a dream while sleeping recently where a possible book series title has been revealed to me, also known as WINGS AWAY. BUT here's the problem that I'm having: What if another book exists with the SAME exact title? I really am hoping that there isn't one with that exact title yet cause if there is that could be trouble for me.

If you guys have any idea what or where this title WINGS AWAY could POSSIBLY exist, please let me know and I will gladly change it as I'm not too far into this series yet. Only outlining it for now!

Thanks guys and I hope to hear from you soon!

-KDS

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 12:27 pm

I could not find any book entitled "Wings Away", but I think there are other reasons to consider a different name since "Wings Away" is already well-established elsewhere.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2017, 4:49 pm

Wings Away is such a generic title that I'd say you're probably fine and shouldn't worry about it.

If your book was called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone though, then I'd say you should change it.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:45 pm

There are a lot of books that have the same name as another title.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:58 pm

There's a good chance any two-word title with common words has been used (multiple times) before somewhere in the world at some time:

http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=ti%3AW ... dblist=638

There Are Four Lights!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 1:08 am

KDS wrote:
Hey guys! I know it's been a while since I've posted on here!

I've had a dream while sleeping recently where a possible book series title has been revealed to me, also known as WINGS AWAY. BUT here's the problem that I'm having: What if another book exists with the SAME exact title? I really am hoping that there isn't one with that exact title yet cause if there is that could be trouble for me.

If you guys have any idea what or where this title WINGS AWAY could POSSIBLY exist, please let me know and I will gladly change it as I'm not too far into this series yet. Only outlining it for now!

Thanks guys and I hope to hear from you soon!

-KDS

A title can't be copyrighted, only trademarked, and trademarks are typically not obtained unless the book is going to be made into a movie or memorabilia is going to be marketed.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2017, 2:15 am

i would imagine that title similarity matters more when the content/type of the books are more or less similar.

someone titling his bird migration book "wings away" after another bird migration book with the same title has been published, would probably raise more eyebrows than an aviation book and a sports biography sharing the name "wings away".

short generic combinations of noun and preposition are probably safe to use anytime.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.