Are Treatments For Comorbids The Same Regardless Of ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 7:26 am

Are the comorbids associated with ASD treated differently if you don't have ASD?

Are there some treatments that are not as effective due to ASD?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 8:06 am

I have heard that CBT is not as effective (unless it is done in a different way), but I'm almost sure I receive the same treatment for OCD as NT's. I don't think having an ASD will make treatment for other conditions entirely different. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

The treatment for, say, OCD, would be virtually identical (taking into account the individual) whether one has an ASD or not.

Within the treatment framework, though, one must consider the individual. If the individual has an ASD, the therapist would have to consider that aspect of the person within the treatment plan.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:46 pm

I could be wrong here so take this as a grain of salt.

I think for none ASD, the treatment is intended to teach you to be normal and to get over your issues. For ASD, it's to teach you to cope with your symptoms and how to deal with them. I had a school counselor who would always tell me I have AS I have AS and of course this or that happened because I have AS or of course I didn't understand I have AS or of course I couldn't figure it out I have AS and he wasn't really teaching me. He would say things like "You think you have to follow all the rules and then you get upset when they aren't followed but you don't need to follow them all, that is called being flexible." "You need to know that not everyone is going to notice the same things you notice." But he wasn't really teaching me how to deal with it or how to get over it. Instead I was the victim and it was all "oh you poor thing, lot of people don't understand you." But with my other therapist it was the opposite. My mom got rid of my school counselor because he was all "You need to deal with your daughter's disability" and she didn't like that. Either that is how ASD therapy is or he was an idiot as my mom claims him to be. She didn't consider him a real therapist so I guess school psychologists are not real therapists.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I think for none ASD, the treatment is intended to teach you to be normal and to get over your issues. For ASD, it's to teach you to cope with your symptoms and how to deal with them. I had a school counselor who would always tell me I have AS I have AS and of course this or that happened because I have AS or of course I didn't understand I have AS or of course I couldn't figure it out I have AS and he wasn't really teaching me. He would say things like "You think you have to follow all the rules and then you get upset when they aren't followed but you don't need to follow them all, that is called being flexible." "You need to know that not everyone is going to notice the same things you notice." But he wasn't really teaching me how to deal with it or how to get over it. Instead I was the victim and it was all "oh you poor thing, lot of people don't understand you." But with my other therapist it was the opposite. My mom got rid of my school counselor because he was all "You need to deal with your daughter's disability" and she didn't like that. Either that is how ASD therapy is or he was an idiot as my mom claims him to be. She didn't consider him a real therapist so I guess school psychologists are not real therapists.

I have a bad experience with school psychologists......I went to one once and he was a complete idiot. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

I've had a few of those types of school psychologist myself.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've had a few of those types of school psychologist myself.

They're so clueless.....

The one I am talking about pulled me out of class right in front of everyone. I had to make up some dumb lie about why I went with that "random guy".

(of course, I'm sure some are ok. I haven't met one yet :D )

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 12:59 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I have a bad experience with school psychologists......I went to one once and he was a complete idiot. :D

Here's a classic:

I was 16 and I was selling my Game Boy Color for $20. I had made a sign and put it on my locker and my school counselor said to me in his office "I see you are selling your Game Boy system. What would happen if a middle school kid wanted to buy it but he didn't have the money but said he would bring it to you the next day." I said "I would wait for him to give me the money and then I give him the Game boy" but he kept asking me the same question over and over as if he wanted me to say "I would give him the Game Boy" but then he said it anyway "If you give him your Game Boy, you might never see that kid again."

It would have been fine if he asked me that question and then I answer and his response could have been "Good you know to not always trust people" but he didn't do that. Sometimes therapists will ask you questions to see how impaired you are or how functional you are and where you sit on the scale and how much you are affected by it. But it was like he wanted me to be an aspie instead of a human. Not saying that aspies aren't human but I hope you know what I mean here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Here's a classic:

I was 16 and I was selling my Game Boy Color for $20. I had made a sign and put it on my locker and my school counselor said to me in his office "I see you are selling your Game Boy system. What would happen if a middle school kid wanted to buy it but he didn't have the money but said he would bring it to you the next day." I said "I would wait for him to give me the money and then I give him the Game boy" but he kept asking me the same question over and over as if he wanted me to say "I would give him the Game Boy" but then he said it anyway "If you give him your Game Boy, you might never see that kid again."

It would have been fine if he asked me that question and then I answer and his response could have been "Good you know to not always trust people" but he didn't do that. Sometimes therapists will ask you questions to see how impaired you are or how functional you are and where you sit on the scale and how much you are affected by it. But it was like he wanted me to be an aspie instead of a human. Not saying that aspies aren't human but I hope you know what I mean here.

I know what you mean. This one asked me a bunch of questions about the girl I was sitting next to in class. "Is she your friend?" or "Do you guys hang out a lot" or "What's her name" and then proceeded to take notes on my classmate/friend. It wasn't a very fun experience.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Here's a classic:

I know what you mean. This one asked me a bunch of questions about the girl I was sitting next to in class. "Is she your friend?" or "Do you guys hang out a lot" or "What's her name" and then proceeded to take notes on my classmate/friend. It wasn't a very fun experience.

I've had numerous experiences with counselors and therapists just like this in the past. I always wonder if they think they're being subtle? Do they really think we don't pick up on what they're actually trying to get at?

I will say, however, that I had a therapist with asperger's a few years back who was wonderful. She was the first person to realize that I had asperger's and she completely redesigned my treatment to suit it. We had purely logical and intellectual discussions since I was so bad with emotions, we went on walks and did things while talking since I had shut-downs when stressed out and forced to sit still, and she encouraged all of my special interests even though some of them had been taken away from me by other therapists since I was being treated for an eating disorder and they were physically demanding. I'd had numerous therapists in the past and she was the only one that ever helped me so I think taking asperger's into account when treating a patient is really important.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

Thanks for your answers dudes :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:21 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Thanks for your answers dudes :D

No problem :D