Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

Science has finally conformed what we all suspected.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jul 2017, 2:05 pm

So does boxing for sure or really almost any impact sport. That's why they get paid the big bucks.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 2:23 pm

This study does not support that claim. It suggests that football does harm brains, but the study was exploratory, not designed to prove that.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 26 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 4:13 pm

I don't know how conclusive that can be.

They didn't even take into account that brain damage is the first requirement for even developing an interest in something as asinine as football.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 5:04 pm

will@rd wrote:
They didn't even take into account that brain damage is the first requirement for even developing an interest in something as asinine as football.

I think that you're being too harsh.

It's not my type of game, but I try not to be judgemental.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

I believe it, too. I was looking at google images of the brains of athletes who played North American football earlier on today and I found some pictures with very accurate proof.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm

That proves that individual brains got damaged, CR. To prove that football damages brains more than life generally, they need to begin with a random sample of brains. Self-selection bias skewed these results, since people who suspect brain damage are more likely to choose to donate their loved one's brain to the study.

That said, I feel a high probability that further research will find exactly that. Heading the ball in soccer and boxing probably also cause the same trauma.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:39 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
That proves that individual brains got damaged, CR. To prove that football damages brains more than life generally, they need to begin with a random sample of brains. Self-selection bias skewed these results, since people who suspect brain damage are more likely to choose to donate their loved one's brain to the study.

That said, I feel a high probability that further research will find exactly that. Heading the ball in soccer and boxing probably also cause the same trauma.

Pretty sure in football people get their heads knocked around more than people generally do in day to day life. Of course it can cause brain damage its a high impact sport and getting hit in the head at high impact can cause brain damage.

No one said only football causes brain damage, those other things likely do to...

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 10:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Pretty sure in football people get their heads knocked around more than people generally do in day to day life. Of course it can cause brain damage its a high impact sport and getting hit in the head at high impact can cause brain damage.

No one said only football causes brain damage, those other things likely do to...

This is about science, statistics, and the way science reporting causes people to make unsubstantiated claims. The claims may be true, but they are definitely unsubstantiated. Check what the authors of the paper have to say about it, themselves.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm

So .....news flash?....one three hundred pound guy with a really hard helmet ejecting himself into another 300 pound guy with a really hard helmet is gonna hurt someone?
I don't think there is any surprise there. It's like a car crash every time. May not cut their skin but things sure get slammed, jammed, and jostled a lot. Isn't that just like shaken baby syndrome?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:11 pm

The evidence looks like proof to people who dislike football, but the NFL and fans don't want to hear it. To scientists, this looks like a good indication that they need to do the kind of research which will conclusively show the connection.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:43 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
The evidence looks like proof to people who dislike football, but the NFL and fans don't want to hear it. To scientists, this looks like a good indication that they need to do the kind of research which will conclusively show the connection.

You can't convince peoples merely by having solid evidences, just look at the denying of evolution and global warming.