Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:10 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Chronos wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
How do you deal with arrogant people?

Why are they so nasty? Is it low self esteem? Why does someone who feels that they are absolutely right have to talk down to people and treat them like they're stupid?

I don't get it.

They are not worth getting particularly upset about because most people don't like arrogant people and most arrogant people don't care one way or another.

Personally I would rather deal with arrogant people than people who become hurt easily because it's significantly less energy on my part and if I do unintentionally offend an arrogant person, it was probably not undeserved.

Now now, the ones who get hurt easily need mentors who can teach them to have tougher skin and perhaps learn to set boundaries.

That's what therapists are for, which I am not.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:28 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Chronos wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
How do you deal with arrogant people?

Why are they so nasty? Is it low self esteem? Why does someone who feels that they are absolutely right have to talk down to people and treat them like they're stupid?

I don't get it.

They are not worth getting particularly upset about because most people don't like arrogant people and most arrogant people don't care one way or another.

Personally I would rather deal with arrogant people than people who become hurt easily because it's significantly less energy on my part and if I do unintentionally offend an arrogant person, it was probably not undeserved.

I think much prefer people in the middle an of neither extreme.

Ideally I prefer to deal with balanced individuals. However I once ended up on a team with an incredibly arrogant guy and an incredibly emotionally sensitive guy who I suspect had borderline personality disorder. I much preferred the arrogant one because I didn't have to worry about him taking offense to completely innocent things and our workflow was much smoother and productive. It's much nicer when time is spent progressing a project rather than playing diplomat with someone who takes everything as a personal attack. As someone on the spectrum, I cannot reasonably meet the needs of unusually emotionally sensitive people. Rather, they are going to have to accommodate me by accepting the fact that I am not an ill willed person and I lack the ability to read their many complex moods. We don't demand that blind people see light. Why should people demand that those with ASDs should see emotion?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 11:48 pm

How is the person being arrogant, and why are you perceiving it as being nasty? Examples?