Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AranAren
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2017, 9:15 pm

The closest comparison I can make for how I experience eye contact is this: have you ever tried to put two like-poles (++ or --) of magnets together? Know how they just automatically repel each other, and even if you might try to force them together, and they wobble around or even briefly make contact, how they'll then instantly move away? That's what my eyes do when trying to make contact. It's an automatic unconscious reaction that happens so fast, I really can't stop myself.

The only way I've been able to mitigate this is to focus on the nose or mouth (lipreading) which seems to be mistaken for eye contact, or at least no one has complained since I learned that tactic. It's still a distracting strain to maintain, however, so I'd prefer not to focus on the face at all, as this helps me listen more closely. Never understood why people assume that if you're not looking directly in the eye, you're not listening... but oh well, just accepted it as another pointless "way of the (NT) world" :roll:

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2017, 4:23 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Quote:
Some good tricks are to look at their nose or their mouth. They'll never tell the difference.

That's what I do :D .

From what I have seen on here, looking at the nose or mouth seems to be a common Thing to do to help make the eye contact issue easier. I have tried this and for me it still dosent work, I don't get the overwhelming feeling as much as I do when looking directly into the eyes but it's still way to much to bare. I find myself looking down, looking at the floor or at random objects in the area / room, but my close friends and family don't understand why I do this but to them it's normal as they have known me for so long

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 7:27 am

If there is a stressing situation or an overwhelming feeling during a conversation I can't look at people at all and will keep my eyes on some object far away from them or watch my hands or feet.
If it's a regular conversation with no stressor I will watch their mouth and occasionally make eye contact just for a second.
If I'm angry I will stare which creeps people out. If I'm really excited or happy I will stare too.