Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nocturn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2005, 8:29 am

I became a father 10 months ago (I have a son). Although I haven't been diagnosed, it is highly probable that I have AS (confirmed by some tests, but not official).

My wife and I are different from most people, which has always been a moderate problem. Until we became parents, then it turned into a huge problem.

We started to figure out how we would raise kids when my wife was pregnant.
We ended up with most aspects of something that is called attachment parenting (http://www.attachmentparenting.org/ for the curious), which is a natural (as-close-to-nature-as-possible) way of raising kids.

Now, we are being 'attacked' by all sorts of people (some of which we hardly know) for doing things 'different', yet most of them are amazed at the development of our son and his strong connection with us (but attribute it solely to his personality rather then a combination of factors).

Among those people who oppose us are my own parents. Not only are they undermining what we are doing, they are gossiping and doing things arround our backs. It is getting so bad that I don't want to see them any more.

Have any of you gone through this kind of stuf? Any advice is welcome.
I feel very tired right now.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 9:31 am

Congratulations of the birth of your wonderful son! He is lucky to have you as a father!

I'm kind of in the pits with you right now. I have two experts giving me conflicting advice as to how to raise my younger son. One problem is that either one could, at any time, decide it is a decision for children's protective services to be involved in.

I was up very, very late last night and decided that I have to do what I believe is best. One of the doctors will be upset but so be it. Each is telling me it is wrong to do it the other way and I'll be hurting my son. Well guess what? They only see my son a few hours a year. AND since they each work with children, they will only see him for a few years. I'm in this for the long haul. I don't care about the short term effects...I want a happy productive adult child!

You are in it for the long haul. You know you are doing what is correct. Don't let them confuse you on it! YOU ROCK DAD!

But, to cover your behind, document why you made some of the more unorthadox decisions. Note in a journal the results you see and how you see it relating to your decisions.

Parenting is very hard work. Try to be around people who will support you. If that means you see a bit less of your parents for a few years, well, so be it.

Take care,
BeeBee
(another tired parent)

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Jun 2005, 10:23 am

Nocturn & BeeBee,

Good luck to you both! My heart really goes out to you, as I too, am a parent. I've been lucky, what with an NT wife who is very supportive and generally good encouragement from most all of my relatives; in-laws and outlaws alike. All I can really offer is that parental love is unconditional and love conquers all. Truth-not just cliche'. There are plenty of times I feel inadequate, and more frequently now that my son is 13. I am trying to focus on what I can accept rather than dwelling on sources of conflict. I am hoping for peace through this attitude.

It is difficult when you are surrounded by so-called experts who tend to be judgemental and I wish I could offer you more than just encouragement.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 10:39 am

Never underestimate the power of encouragement, Oatwillie!

Thanks for caring.

BeeBee

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 11:09 am

Never been a parent myself so can't give advice there, but wanted to say my dad is autistic and I really appreciate his parenting style.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 11:21 am

It's always good to read up on parenting stuff as I did when my children were growing up.But you know, one size does not fit all, what works with your child may not work with someone elses. I have two children, what worked for one, did not work for the other. So there you go. I have been critized many times for my parenting. But....these are my babies, so....my husband and I did the best we could. I am a Christian so I raised my kids as a Christian parent, but ya know...even in the church parents have their disagrements. I have been..to strict, to easy,over protective, not protective enough, to generous, not generous enough. Blaa, Blaa, Blaa. My daughter graduates from College on Saturday, my son from High School tomarrow. They are both doing very well, even so, I still feel like as a parent I could have done better. I don't think we ever feel like we are good enough, I don't don't know why. But I think the best advice would be for you to enjoy your baby, and do what you think is best. My relatives learned (some the hard way) to Never undermine my husband nor myself when it came to our children, if moving would have needed to happen then we would have. I like the advice you have been getting here also, it's excellent. I don't know where you are from, but educate yourself ahead of time re: schools, in California if you have a special needs child you are in for an uphill battle, expecally if he is bright and well behaved. I tell this to all parents I know, AS or not even when their babies aren't even born yet. You know your baby better than anyone else, so don't you worry, oops, did I just tell a parent not to worry?

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 12:32 pm

nocturn wrote:
Hummingbird
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:29 pm    
Post subject: Parenting as an Aspie
------------------------------------------
I became a father 10 months ago
(I have a son). Although I haven't been
diagnosed, it is highly probable that I have
AS (confirmed by some tests, but not official).

My wife and I are different from most people,
which has always been a moderate problem.
Until we became parents, then it turned into
a huge problem.

We started to figure out how we would raise
kids when my wife was pregnant. We ended
up with most aspects of something that is called
attachment parenting
(http://www.attachmentparenting.org/
for the curious), which is a natural (as-close-to-
nature-as-possible) way of raising kids.

Now, we are being 'attacked' by all sorts of people
(some of which we hardly know) for doing things
'different', yet most of them are amazed at the
development of our son and his strong connection
with us (but attribute it solely to his personality
rather then a combination of factors).

Among those people who oppose us are my own
parents. Not only are they undermining what we
are doing, they are gossiping and doing things
arround our backs. It is getting so bad that I don't
want to see them any more.

Have any of you gone through this kind of stuf?
Any advice is welcome. I feel very tired right now.

I can see some of your points and others I have
not crossed yet. I am HFA and 39. I recently
got outed out of my ignorance of autism and
as I further grow, it is one of my goals to raise
a family. I have some questions about having
a child and my HFA. The books a sympathetic
and tend to push drugs. I am against that. I
would not want my future son or daughter
to suffer like I did, NOR BE a walking pharmacudical.

I wish I could be of more help, but thanks though
for raising a thought that has been in my head.
Right now it is find the relaionship to develop my
character and get my college degree. The kids
come later. The hard part is the relationship and
I am glad you found that and have a child.

Hmmmmm? How old are you? How did you
meet your partner? How are you raising
your son differently that causes looks?

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2005, 5:02 pm

I too am AS with an AS son and a great NT partner who supports me and when i need it pionts me in the right direction if i try to offer my son advice if i am wrong she will gently let me know i am, thus i dont dig my heals in a become that well known rigid Aspie thats inside us all at some time or other.
Stick with it, its not always easy, but life isnt either.

Aspies rock.........................

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 9:38 pm

BeeBee wrote:
BeeBee
Forum Moderator
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:31 am    
Post subject:
-----------------
Congratulations of the birth of your wonderful
son! He is lucky to have you as a father!

BeeBee wrote:
I'm kind of in the pits with you right now. I
have two experts giving me conflicting advice
as to how to raise my younger son. One
problem is that either one could, at any time,
decide it is a decision for children's protective
services to be involved in.

What is the issue? or issues?

Hmmmmm? How is what your
raising them tactics conflicting
with these experts? What is their
side of the story? Who are these
inquisitors against you?

I was up very, very late last night and decided
that I have to do what I believe is best. One of
the doctors will be upset but so be it. Each is
telling me it is wrong to do it the other way and
I'll be hurting my son. Well guess what? They
only see my son a few hours a year. AND since
they each work with children, they will only see
him for a few years. I'm in this for the long haul.
I don't care about the short term effects...I want
a happy productive adult child! [/quote]

Again, Where lies the parenting conflict?

BeeBee wrote:
You are in it for the long haul. You know you are
doing what is correct. Don't let them confuse you
on it! YOU ROCK DAD!

But, to cover your behind, document why you made
some of the more unorthadox decisions. Note in a
journal the results you see and how you see it relating
to your decisions.

Parenting is very hard work. Try to be around people
who will support you. If that means you see a bit less
of your parents for a few years, well, so be it.

Take care,
BeeBee
(another tired parent)

Hmmmm? If you don't mind me asking?
What is the issue?

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2005, 9:41 pm

BeeBee and nocturn,

This question is directed at both
of you for 2 person's perspectives.

What are you both doing in raising
AS? children that may cause red flags.

I understand that a 10month old won't
have as much to worries for the dad,
but the coorolation between BeeBee's
older kids and a 10month will give
both aspects of this thought perspective.

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

nocturn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2005, 8:57 am

To all of you, thanks for the encouraging words. It really helps.

nocturn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2005, 9:37 am

Ghosthunter wrote:
What are you both doing in raising
AS? children that may cause red flags.
Quote:

If you read arround the link I posted to attachment parenting you will get some idea of how we are as parents.
Most of the things related to it or unusual in the culture I live in (Europe), which tends to center more arround work/money then families.
We also have a lot of cultural problems since my wife is Turkish (living in Belgium), so her cultural background on raising kids differs from our surroundings.

The issues are many, going from my wife breastfeeding for a long time to her staying at home during his first year. We do not give our son food that contains artifical additives, we always use fresh ingredients when we make something. We do not give additives like vitamine K (the doctors here always give that to babies that get breastfed).

We do not use a pacifier (if that is the correct English word), we do not let him cry for prolonged periods (the habit here is to put a baby to bed and just let him/her cry until he falls asleep).

Quote:
I understand that a 10month old won't
have as much to worries for the dad,

That's where you're wrong. Attachment parenting requires a commitment from both parents. So I spend a lot of time with my son doing all sorts of stuff, also doing the less pleasant stuff like sitting up during the nights when he needs comforting
On the weekends I take him for walks or we go to the local swimming pool etc.
It also seems unacceptable to society to spend much time with your children, which I don't understand.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2005, 9:50 am

I'm not a parent, but I just wanted to post a general thank-you to all the parents of kids who fall into the autism spectrum. Rim hennaid (Sindarin for many thanks) to all the parents! We greatly appreciate your effort even if we don't show it. :)

Quote:
in California if you have a special needs child you are in for an uphill battle, expecally if he is bright and well behaved.

So true that is, so true. Here in California, however, there are probably a lot of private schools that are more willing to accomodate. :)

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2005, 1:51 am

Paula wrote:
in California if you have a special needs child you are in for an uphill battle, expecally if he is bright and well behaved.

Heh, I'm sure that would get a PTSD reaction out of my Mom if she were to read this! :roll:

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2005, 7:49 am

Ghosthunter wrote:
The books a sympathetic
and tend to push drugs. I am against that. I
would not want my future son or daughter
to suffer like I did, NOR BE a walking pharmacudical

I don't think that medicating is necessarily bad....I was started on meds for ADHD when I was 7 and they made such a HUGE difference in my life. I am SO glad my parents decided to medicate me, I don't know what I'd do without them!! So I guess what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't make a blanket decision like that. Yes, you were wrongly medicated as a child....yes, a great many children are wrongly medicated. But does that mean your children shouldn't be medicated even if it is in their best interest?

nocturn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jul 2005, 9:31 am

The most wonderful thing is happening now.
When I'm not home, my son (10 months), is asking for me (saying something that sounds like 'papa' and looking arround to the places he usually sees me).

When I get home, he immidiately clings to me. I have a bond with him that is so deep.

It makes me happy.