Do you find it eye contact easier when wearing sunglasses?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Do you find it eye contact easier when wearing sunglasses?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 12 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
Not applicable because I don't think I have Autism or Asperger's 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 16

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

The other day, I was outside talking to someone while wearing sunglasses, when I decided maybe it wasn't as bright out as I thought it was, so I took off my sunglasses.

I suddenly noticed it was much harder to hold eye contact. So I put my sunglasses back on even though it wasn't that bright out, and suddenly found that it was easier again to hold eye contact.

Have other people found the same thing?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Yep!

Sunglasses are also great because you don't have to make eye contact and nobody will know (unless they stare in the lenses lol) :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

All my friends are online, I don't have trouble with eye contact when I'm out & talking to somebody.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 3:13 pm

Nope, eyes are eyes, doesn't matter if the scene is tinted. I am not comfortable staring at them, or being stared at by them. 8O

Seff
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2017, 3:58 pm

Yes I find it easier with sunglasses. If I'm not wearing them I find I tend to avert my gaze from the person as if I'm looking at something or I'm checking my surroundings.
Although I used to be a lot worse, I was told by someone years ago to stare in between the eyes at the top of the nose, as this way you don't have full eye contact, and the other person can't tell you aren't looking at the eyes.

I used to find that I couldn't decide on which eye to look at, and would end up switching between the two. People would generally pick up on this and either think I was very nervous, or they had something on them that I couldn't stop looking at ... :)

I still have some difficulty, as it usually depends on who I'm dealing with, but I'm a lot better than I used to be.

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 11:25 pm

No. I can't stand eye contact at all, no matter who's wearing what.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 10:28 am

Yes. And yes, I know it sometimes makes me look like a rude bastard.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

8) Yes totally, but I also have a problem with bright light, natural and artificial. I have to say my anxiety levels drop when I am wearing them, I can feel myself relax when I put them on. Its feels like wrapping my eyes in a little warm soft blanket 8)

BBC: Radio 4

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:27 am

Not really, to be honest.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:37 am

This is an interesting thread. I love sunglasses because it means I don't have to worry about staring or looking elsewhere so maybe I don't have the same issue with eyes as members here with ASD

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 11:53 am

Yes... but... I do feel it's a bit rude having a conversation with someone if you're wearing sunglasses, unless you're outside in the bright sun. Another but... just to complicate things... my sunglasses are prescription, so if I don't have my normal glasses with me I have to keep them anyway as I can't see without them.
Life is complicated...

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame