Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 6:17 pm

At the same time, I have one of the best memories and yet also one of the worst. My long term memory is bizarrely good, I remember songs easily and I am quick to name what a sample of a song is from another song if I know it. Usually I recognise movies if I have seen them before, just by seeing a slight clip of it.

My friends dub me as 'an encyclopaedia of songs'. People usually take advantage of my memory, and it's not uncommon for multiple people to trust me to remind them of things (like shopping items, getting gifts, what a certain song is based on lyrics, etc.)

However, what I remember and what I don't isn't always great. Say for instance I will go to a swimming pool, chances are I will remember small details about how it felt, what I thought, and what I saw and smelt.

However, if someone were to ask me where this pool was, I would have no idea, even more so if they asked how far away it was, and I would have to think hard about when it happened.

The memory is like a recording, I would be able to remember what was said almost word for word, and how it felt almost as if I was still there.

But as for time.. my memories aren't always in chronological order. I'm not as bad as my dad is for this, but I still mess up a tad. Sometimes it'll be a Saturday but I will think it's a Sunday since I will remember last Saturday and think it was yesterday before realising that a whole week has actually gone by between then.

I guess this all just ties into the fact I have a poor sense of time and direction, but on the plus side at least people can trust me to remind them to do things, and remembering experiences so vividly can really help my writing. :)

So, yeah. Thoughts on this? What is your memory like?

Seff
Raven
Raven

05 Aug 2017, 6:29 pm

My memory is similar in some ways.

My long term memory is excellent, I can remember exact details of conversations years and years ago (particularly in an argument :twisted: ) but if I'm asked to get something from another room, I'll forget on my way, and as for shopping I have to make a list even if I'm only getting a few items!
My short term memory is terrible.

Like you, I can also recognise films from short clips, some songs, and I'm also very good with video games.

My memory completely fails me if I have to talk about emotions, either with relationships or friends. Even if I've thought a lot about what I want to say, when I get the opportunity my mind just goes blank and I don't know what to say.

Strange thing the Brain...

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 8:19 pm

I only remember tiny scraps of conversations whether it is from years ago or from minutes ago.

At one company where I used to work 25 years ago, the president of the company would come back from a business trip and relate conversations in great detail. I always marveled at his ability to do that.

One guy I know told me about being at a diplomatic party years ago. He was talking to one guy who he thought was a clerk from the South Korean embassy. At the end of the conversation, the guy I know learned that he was talking to the North Korean ambassador! So when he left the party, he had to sit down and write out a full report of every detail the two talked about in the conversation. It apparently took him an hour or two to write the report.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 9:46 am

My memory is very similar: great long term memory, encyclopedic memory of facts and dates, particularly in relation to my special interests, but lousy short term memory and directional sense. I also have my share of moments where I think I have misplaced items such as my cellphone and car keys. I have had no end of panic attacks over it. I'm equally paranoid about my purse.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 10:39 am

IstominFan wrote:
My memory is very similar: great long term memory, encyclopedic memory of facts and dates, particularly in relation to my special interests, but lousy short term memory and directional sense. I also have my share of moments where I think I have misplaced items such as my cellphone and car keys. I have had no end of panic attacks over it. I'm equally paranoid about my purse.

I misplace items a lot too. :x

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 2:59 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
At the same time, I have one of the best memories and yet also one of the worst. My long term memory is bizarrely good, I remember songs easily and I am quick to name what a sample of a song is from another song if I know it. Usually I recognise movies if I have seen them before, just by seeing a slight clip of it.

My friends dub me as 'an encyclopaedia of songs'. People usually take advantage of my memory, and it's not uncommon for multiple people to trust me to remind them of things (like shopping items, getting gifts, what a certain song is based on lyrics, etc.)

However, what I remember and what I don't isn't always great. Say for instance I will go to a swimming pool, chances are I will remember small details about how it felt, what I thought, and what I saw and smelt.

However, if someone were to ask me where this pool was, I would have no idea, even more so if they asked how far away it was, and I would have to think hard about when it happened.

The memory is like a recording, I would be able to remember what was said almost word for word, and how it felt almost as if I was still there.

But as for time.. my memories aren't always in chronological order. I'm not as bad as my dad is for this, but I still mess up a tad. Sometimes it'll be a Saturday but I will think it's a Sunday since I will remember last Saturday and think it was yesterday before realising that a whole week has actually gone by between then.

I guess this all just ties into the fact I have a poor sense of time and direction, but on the plus side at least people can trust me to remind them to do things, and remembering experiences so vividly can really help my writing. :)

So, yeah. Thoughts on this? What is your memory like?

My memory works like this:

1. My long term memory is detailed and iron clad. I don't loose much over time. I can remember stuff from books, papers, and classes that I took years ago like it were yesterday.

2. I have an excellent what I would term visual or episodic memory. I can almost "see" events replayed in my mind. Its not a photographic memory but its close.

3. My short term memory is abysmal. I forget things someone told me five minutes ago. If I need say supplies or chemicals for an experiment (I am a scientist) I have to right it all down and bring the paper with me before I go to find them. I can have trouble following a novel if it has lots of characters whose names I have to keep track of.

4. My procedural or what I term "walking memory" is bad for things I have not done before but gets better with repetition.