Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

TheMaTrIx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2007, 10:53 am

Anyone else have overloads from physical pains in certain parts of the body?

When I get hurt on my hands, it doesn't bother me, not even if I get a relatively deep cut in a finger while cooking, I can handle vinegar or hot water 5 minutes later without much pain. Like that, I've had injuries ranging from broken ribs (which should be the most painful thing next to giving birth), deep cuts to burns and they rarely bother me at all. With them I was able to simply keep on doing what I was doing.

But if I ever get painful feet from standing all day, itches from a mosquito bite somewhere on my feet, or a wound like the massive blister on the heel of my right foot I got yesterday, it hurts, or should I say annoys, me so bad that I could start crying.
This is usually followed with me holding on there for several hours, thinking and speculating and trying to hold on, until I finally break down and have no other choice but to go home, neither my parents or employers understand this and I usually get a load of verbal abuse for it, telling me I'm a weakling or sissy, temporary forgetting I'm overly persistent and never give up on anything EVER.

I've had other sensory overload problems with certain smells, sounds and strong lights, but I didn't know the touch sense could be so specific to one area of the body, I had thought it would be more like types of pain that would be intolerable, like burns or itches.

My most annoying sensory overload problem was with a gas smell in an apartment I lived in.
Whenever I entered the storage area, which had the gas boiler and gas meter, I could clearly smell gas, so strong even that it made me nauseous.
I called the gas company 7 times in 2 weeks, they came every time and kept telling me they couldn't smell anything and left.

The last time they came I also invited a friend of mine who works in a lab. He brought a sniffer with which you could detect even the smallest amount of gas in a room. (the gas guys have the same type of tool)

They both (friend and gas guys) tested the air and found that indeed, there was a minute trace of gas in the air there, but they persisted that it was impossible for someone to smell it and the amount was way to small to pose any danger.

2 weeks after that I simply moved to another apartment because the smell was getting out into other rooms.

So, tell me your stories about sensory overloads and has anyone else had very specific and localized pains they are overly sensitive to like I have with my feet?

ps. for the people that have trouble with imperfect language usage, I'm natively dutch speaking. I 3ple checked to see if I made any spelling errors and the checker gave all green.

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 12:14 pm

I'm highly sensitive to any kind of pain. Breaking my leg traumatized me much more than it should have. It was the most pain I have ever felt in my entire life. I still get chills when I think of the way it felt as it was breaking. It took three big shots of demerol to even get me to the point where I could cope with the pain and it still didn't do much to help. I screamed so much when they set my leg that the nurse started crying and had to go outside for a smoke.

Itching is a big problem for me. My back is constantly itching, and it doesn't matter if I put lotion on it or anything. Tags, clothing, everything makes it itch. I feel like I should carry around a personal back scratcher with me everywhere I go. Having a partner that will scratch my back is extremely important to me - lol - right up there with no cheating and no overly jealous behavior.

I can DEFINITELY relate to the smelling gas thing. We have a gas fireplace in the living room and I'm the only one that can smell gas all the time when I am in the living room. It's so strong to me, but no one else can smell it. If I get up and move, I can still smell the remnants of it in my nose. It's really annoying. We were going to call the gas company and have them turn off the gas in the fireplace but we haven't had a chance to yet, I hate using phones especially to call companies.

I can also relate to the foot pain. I remember when I was little and my mom would take me to the mall. My feet would start hurting less than an hour into the trip and I would complain but my mom would just tell me to get over it. I always thought I was a big crybaby and a whiner until recently when I realized that my pain issues may be related to the AS.