Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jun 2022, 3:25 pm

There are times I wished I was not autistic. I don't think I have any major benefits when it comes to life stuff & functioning. I'm the opposite of the stereotypical high-functioning Aspie. I have NO special skills, strengths, nor talents. I'm NOT an intellectual genius & I struggled MAJORLY in school due to learning disabilities & most people are aLOT smarter than me. I'm actually also bad with technology & NOT able to have any career in the STEM field. However I have other various disabilities that majorly limit me & it's very hard to say what problems, issues, & struggles are due to autism & what are not. I do think I woulda done better with obtaining & maintaining employment if I was not autistic. All my jobs still woulda been unskilled minimum-wage stuff but I woulda done better at job interviews, I might coulda found some jobs by networking, & I might woulda been more respected by my coworkers & employers. I woulda had an easier time getting girlfriends as well. I coulda compensated for being disabled some if I was not autistic & had better social skills & some friends who woulda tried to set me up with someone.

There is currently NO cure for autism even if some people insist changing our diets would make all autism symptoms disappear or people pushing other such bull$hit like apothecary's selling miracle snake-oil cures to desperate suckers for quick & easy cash.

I can NOT stop being autistic & I can NOT change my past but I can try & learn from things. In some ways I have made a lot of improvement by spending time on this forum learning about autism, the many various ways I am different from NTs, & I have a better understanding about myself. Also some psych meds are approved or used off-label to treat some autism symptoms or comorbids. I found decent treatments for some of my autistic comorbids like anxiety, OCD, & irritability by researching psych meds. Plus having a great girlfriend I'm living with instead of being stuck living with my parents is a huge improvement.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 14 Jun 2022, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 4:16 pm

Before they diagnosed autism as a spectrum. No one knew to look into a child’s function or lack of function unless they looked off, or did not speak .. So if I had known,or my mum had known . About this could they have helped me into a more normal , interaction with society . Friends, relationships, whatever.? :nerdy:
Am very stupid concerning societal things !, but other things , I have researched, am very good at , thanks to Aspie pragmatism, and correlation skills.
Often I think and wish,? What if I were not autistic, but I have no yardstick to measure that by ? Have always been this way. And I cannot be in the shoes of someone who is not . But on my best days can try to approximate based on what I have seen of NT ,if given a chance to focus on it...but they were just different , and interactions with them could be perilous . Masking helps . :oops:
Also if you can get support with the right person, it is priceless.

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2022, 11:00 am

I hate being on the spectrum too and I don't know why there's literally 0 cure. Well, I don't even mean cure, but treatment at least, like for quicker social responses or to filter out sounds easier, things like that.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 4:19 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Ettina wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:
However, if I'm wrong and a cure can be developed, it's not my place to say if someone should or shouldn't take it. I certainly wouldn't shame someone who felt that their ASD was a burden to them because everyone has different experiences with their own autism. I've worked with autistic kids whose IQs were lower than 75 and could barely function; I wouldn't be against it if they could be cured to give them a better chance at a good life.

How do you know if they'd want a cure?

And whether or not you feel unhappy about being autistic has more to do with how others treat you than the actual features of your autism. Maybe we should be trying to raise kids who don't feel the need for a cure, instead of trying to find a cure. To me, it's like saying that some gay people are absolutely miserable being gay and long to be straight, so we should figure out how to change sexual orientation.

If a cure ever is found, it almost certainly will be forced on non-consenting people. Especially children, and people who can't communicate well. And it'll be used as an excuse to stigmatize people who don't want the cure - just look at how people who continue a pregnancy after prenatal diagnosis of a chromosome condition are treated.

They don't force the curing of anything on anyone and why would it be forced on non consenting people?

What if you can't get the person's consent because they can't communicate well enough?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 5:50 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
They don't force the curing of anything on anyone and why would it be forced on non consenting people?

Autism cure sounds very vague, because autism is very complex, if it's to cure the comorbid conditions (in my opinion they are the worst part about autism) to lessen the severity of severe autism I would fully support that. But if it's used as a tool to exterminate autistic people and all forms of autism from ever existing I wouldn't support it at all. There is no autism gene and it could vary from person to person as well.
Sometimes people with certain mental disorders have treatments forced on them like people who are suffering from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, & suicidal depression. Also adults with those mental disorders are sometimes put in guardianship situations along with other mental disorders like Alzheimer's & low functioning autism. Sometimes people with those issues are put in mental wards or nursing homes against their will. It does NOT seem far fetched to me that some people with low functioning autism would have a cure forced on them if they are thought to be a major threat to themselves, others, or are incapable of caring for themselves & giving informed consent.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 4:59 pm

I wouldn't take the cure if I was given a million dollars to take it. My autism makes me who I am. It gives me a unique way of looking at the world.

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2022, 1:19 pm

Cure is very unlikely, as it's really impossible to define a condition as complex as autism in terms of molecular causes in molecular biology.

Meaning there's no one molecular culprit for all stripes of autism.

Genetics likely very complex as well.

There's also a lot of misinformation and hype in science news giving people a sense of mysterious and complex conditions such as cancer and autism as possible to "cure."

drgafanovich
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2022, 2:51 am

I can relate to the word "cure" as a remedy to alleviate some of the occasional "intrusive" symptoms.

Austinmc2 wrote:
I know this might sound offensive to people, but to me autism hurts. I have joined autism research in Cambridge hoping that someday they will find something that can help me and other autistics.
Does anybody else sometimes wish they weren't autistic?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 1:16 pm

drgafanovich wrote:
I can relate to the word "cure" as a remedy to alleviate some of the occasional "intrusive" symptoms.

Austinmc2 wrote:
I know this might sound offensive to people, but to me autism hurts. I have joined autism research in Cambridge hoping that someday they will find something that can help me and other autistics.
Does anybody else sometimes wish they weren't autistic?

Am realizing
That much available research has outlined differences inbetween Autistic people and NT people ,
But if your borne as a Autistic Person how would you actually know the difference ? If you have never been a NT person ..? So how would you know to change . (But this is probably a oversimplified concept .) am expressing

where ever you go ,there you are

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 9:33 pm

Argh. If it weren't for autism, I would have done something with my psychology degree. I could have gone further in my uni studies and become a psychologist.

If it weren't for autism, I would at least have a casual job where I volunteer by now. I wouldn't be nervous about speaking to customers and working at the till. Instead I stay in my comfortable little corner hanging clothes.

If it weren't for autism, I most likely wouldn't have co-morbid mental illnesses that I have to take 5 head meds for.

I'm definitely not at ease with being autistic.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 1:33 am

Joe90 wrote:
I hate being on the spectrum too and I don't know why there's literally 0 cure. Well, I don't even mean cure, but treatment at least, like for quicker social responses or to filter out sounds easier, things like that.

Medication to speed up a persons brain in social situations or make the brain better at filtering out sensory stimuli such as sound, seems a long way off.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 2:51 am

I just had a thought that one way to cure autism in the future would be for us to have our brains replaced with the brains of NTs :!: If that idea sounds scary to you guys, keep in mind that any miracle cure for autism would change the wiring of your brain & you could be a completely different person mentally so figuratively speaking it would be like having your brain replaced :twisted:

misha00
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2022, 6:32 pm

autism is not curable, nor will it be in our lifetimes.

Also, careful what you wish for...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 7:17 pm

I would want a cure for autism.

But not because I want to live the so-called normal life, be "happier" in life, that idea of being sociable and feel belonging.
That's not a problem to me as an autistic.

Nor the pretentious "fighting for a cause" so other people won't suffer.
I'm doing this entirely for myself, not for others.
In fact, me becoming an NT isn't a favor for my friends and family -- except to make them stop or worry less about me.
To be free of them, not the whole "understand them and they understand me" part because it's irrelevant.

I desire something else entirely.
I want the control of self.

Regulation. Organization. Processing speed. And little to no need to externally regulate and be stifled by emotions and stress.
Happiness, sadness, hate or love. It doesn't matter as long as it's regulated or easily under control.

It doesn't have to be a cure for autism, but the specific symptoms in executive function, specific developmental issues around emotions and make aspects of being a human easier or at least a non-issue.

TLDR;
I want a cure because I'm not a patient person.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2022, 9:50 pm

Personally, I’d rather be dead.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2023, 11:43 pm

I am of the opinion that those who speak of the concept of a "cure" for autism are confusing the phenomenon of the potential traits found within various autistic persons with the base, which is the underlying state of being. My intrinsic bio-genetic make up cannot be changed, as it is substantially , and essentially what makes me who I am as an unique individual human being, rather than a clone of somebody else. My phenomenon however can and should be effectively dealt with, so that I can to the best of my ability manage and cope with the issues that are characteristic of my given condition. In other words , while the form of my genome is inherently inalterable, the function can possibly be improved upon, so that I can as best as is humanly possible become the best version of myself, in terms of maturity of personal development. But at this point , completely rectifying pathological comorbidity within an autistic subject is idealism, as it lacks a material basis. And so it is pointless to even speculate as to what all it might entail.