Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 6:33 pm

Autism cure and prevention sounds incredibly vague to me.

Define Autism because autism varies in severity and also define autism cure and prevention as well. What part of autism do they want to cure and prevent, autism is very complex as well. Is it comorbidites, is it anything else? Please explain.

If they mean autism cure and prevention as in curing and preventing things that plague many autistics such as comorbidities that hold back many severely autistic people and to also lessen the severity of autism than I would fully support that and be an ardent supporter.

But however if they mean autism cure and prevention to cure and prevent autistic people from ever existing they just crossed the fine line of being perfectly reasonable to being an absolute bigot.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 6:36 pm

Autism cure and prevention are also impossible (even with gene editing technology) because there is no single autism gene and it isnt known and it could be hundreds of thousands of different genes that causes autism and what if that varies from person to person as well. I dont think autism can be cured or prevented and as good as curing and preventing comorbidities that hold back many severely affected autistics sounds I think that maybe impossible as well.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 10:22 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Makes me laugh when people say "impossible". In my lifetime I have seen stem cell and gene altering technologies making big strides toward what was thought "impossible" a mere decade ago. People need to open their minds more, what is seemingly impossible today could well be possible long before you die.

Things could still be very much impossible for humanity to do, it would likely be impossible to travel out of the entire universe, galaxy, or even explore every single planet or star within the existence of humanity. Autism cure and prevention would be impossible because there would be hundreds if not thousands of genes involved and there is no set autism gene as well and it is very likely it could vary from person to person, so good luck trying to cure or prevent autism even with crispr technology. Besides cure tends to relate to diseases and not neurological conditions like autism.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 6:47 am

MarissaKay wrote:
However, if I'm wrong and a cure can be developed, it's not my place to say if someone should or shouldn't take it. I certainly wouldn't shame someone who felt that their ASD was a burden to them because everyone has different experiences with their own autism. I've worked with autistic kids whose IQs were lower than 75 and could barely function; I wouldn't be against it if they could be cured to give them a better chance at a good life.

How do you know if they'd want a cure?

And whether or not you feel unhappy about being autistic has more to do with how others treat you than the actual features of your autism. Maybe we should be trying to raise kids who don't feel the need for a cure, instead of trying to find a cure. To me, it's like saying that some gay people are absolutely miserable being gay and long to be straight, so we should figure out how to change sexual orientation.

If a cure ever is found, it almost certainly will be forced on non-consenting people. Especially children, and people who can't communicate well. And it'll be used as an excuse to stigmatize people who don't want the cure - just look at how people who continue a pregnancy after prenatal diagnosis of a chromosome condition are treated.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 9:25 pm

Ettina wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:
However, if I'm wrong and a cure can be developed, it's not my place to say if someone should or shouldn't take it. I certainly wouldn't shame someone who felt that their ASD was a burden to them because everyone has different experiences with their own autism. I've worked with autistic kids whose IQs were lower than 75 and could barely function; I wouldn't be against it if they could be cured to give them a better chance at a good life.

How do you know if they'd want a cure?

And whether or not you feel unhappy about being autistic has more to do with how others treat you than the actual features of your autism. Maybe we should be trying to raise kids who don't feel the need for a cure, instead of trying to find a cure. To me, it's like saying that some gay people are absolutely miserable being gay and long to be straight, so we should figure out how to change sexual orientation.

If a cure ever is found, it almost certainly will be forced on non-consenting people. Especially children, and people who can't communicate well. And it'll be used as an excuse to stigmatize people who don't want the cure - just look at how people who continue a pregnancy after prenatal diagnosis of a chromosome condition are treated.

They don't force the curing of anything on anyone and why would it be forced on non consenting people?

Autism cure sounds very vague, because autism is very complex, if it's to cure the comorbid conditions (in my opinion they are the worst part about autism) to lessen the severity of severe autism I would fully support that. But if it's used as a tool to exterminate autistic people and all forms of autism from ever existing I wouldn't support it at all. There is no autism gene and it could vary from person to person as well.

Last edited by Dylanperr on 13 Feb 2021, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2021, 9:43 pm

According to the news here , you cannot travel anywhere by aircraft if you cannot provide evidence of a negative
Covid test but they are leaning towards no travel if you have not been vaccinated, and do not have a card proving this fact . If you do not have proof of a cure for autism will they not allow auties to travel or ? Whatever ?
Where does this stop ? .just wondering out loud ?

where ever you go ,there you are

SpottedMushroom
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2021, 6:54 pm

Old thread but yes

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 7:41 pm

Let’s hope is doesn’t come down to this .? 8O

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

Right now I'm feeling really down and hating my autism. Or hating myself, maybe.
But I still wouldn't want a cure.
My mind has a kind of innocence in the way I view things, a kind of sensitivity, which is all tied up in the way I feel down sometimes, and yet has a kind of beauty and I would fear for any world where this state of being was denied existence.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 9:48 pm

A cure for Autism or a cure for life .?

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2021, 7:12 am

There are Formulas of Minerals on the Market Designed to Improve Cognitive Function & Improve Learning Difficulties . Whether They Work or Not is To Be Seen .

However I Can Advise ..

Magnesium
Zinc

& Multi Vitamin . The Above Certainly Help Me .

violetdr3amer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2021, 6:31 pm

Yes, I do sometimes wish I wasn't autistic. It's a massive hindrance to me. If I was NT, I would have a job, a social life, a partner etc.

My problem is that I am "high functioning" in some ways, but not so high functioning in other ways. For example I am extremely sensitive to stimulation and severe social anxiety so I cannot hold down a job, so I'm on benefits, and I've been accused of faking it and "not trying hard enough" because I'm smart. But then my smartness is my downfall in a way, because it's the reason I got a late diagnosis, I had to fight for my benefits as I wasn't taken seriously, and also my smartness is a hindrance with people - I've been told that lots of people are intimidated by me because I'm smart.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2021, 5:40 am

can identify with 90 % of the above posting . i believe . 8O

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2022, 5:49 pm

MarissaKay wrote:
I'm not 100% sure that a cure is even possible, because the neurology of someone on the Spectrum is very different than that of someone who's Neurotypical. That being said, I personally wouldn't want a cure. I'm getting to a point where I like who I am and am really starting to embrace my differences that Asperger's gives me.

Multi Vitamins such as Neuro Mind can improve cognitive function .

I'm not guarantee'ing anything . But I feel differences .. when combined with coffee . I'm able to tap into thoughts and conclusions alot quicker . for example a constant repeating pattern in interaction can be acknowledged and changed on reflection .

I think there are many natural compounds that can improve processing issues atleast

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2022, 5:52 pm

whilst I do acknowledge the sentiment .. 'Cure is the wrong word . Unless it was administered in prebirth process to Autistic Mother's . And still , like the redhair gene , you can't always guarantee it will or won't present itself if historic in a person's heritage.

A remedy on the other hand is very possible . But may require a combination of microdosing magic mushies and regular boosted levels of specific mineral compounds 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 9:43 am

Wonders if Remedy is the right word , instead of like the word adjunct . Have. Used nootropics sometimes now
And other beneficial supplements .. adding limited amounts of coffee .. within a hour or so after supplementation
Gave very nice benefits. But caffiene is a general stimulant. And coffee can have a burnout effect . And on top of all this it seems to be important to care for one’s colon as well for good absorption of food and supplements.
But the caffeine supplements do seem to have good effects . Just be careful , I might think.
Have had good luck as a extra to my supplements.Fulvic acid has been good