Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Mickey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2008, 4:38 pm

What window manager do you guys run? Anyone run FVWM?

I haven't found to many people that use it because it takes a bit of work to get setup, but man is it powerful!

almost forgot to include a screenshot :)

http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/Nuno_Alexandre-1600x1200/screenshot.jpg

Mickey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2008, 4:41 pm

And here is a screenshot of it I find rather amusing.

http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/Mikhael-desk-1280x1024/screenshot.png

and one I find disturbing
http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/GlenLeeEdwards-desk4-1024x768/screenshot.gif

but atleast they show the different looks you can give it.

And a good read that got me started playing with FVWM

http://ironphoenix.org/tril/fvwm/

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2008, 7:09 pm

JLime on my HP Jornada 720 (Debian based).

OpenBSD (not strictly Linux) on my firewall/router/web/dns server. I was using it on a desktop for a while with IceWM.

I've been using it for years, and if OSX didn't have a BSD core I'd probably be using Ubuntu for everything but gaming. I may get around to putting it on my gaming box at some point to show off Compiz/Beryl to all the people who thing Vista's pretty.

I started on Slackware (about 15 years ago), moved on to Mandrake, then Ubuntu in all it's forms have been on most of my boxes. Must say I prefer Debian based Distros.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 6:51 am

Mickey wrote:
What window manager do you guys run? Anyone run FVWM?
Openbox for now. I started messing around with a FWVM config, but lost it. It's just awesome in terms of features, and configuration. The only issue I had was with conky causing the desktop background (different one for each workspace) to flicker, but since I can direct mouse clicks to and around things I just ran a transparent aterm of log info in the background.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

04 Feb 2008, 3:43 pm

i used ubuntu from march 2006 to December 2007. I switched to Opensuse. I felt like ubuntu wasnt doing it for me anymore. It was getting unstable every new release. When ubuntu crashed for the 7th time in 10 days i switched to opensuse. I like it a lot better than ubuntu.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2008, 4:07 pm

Interesting.
Uptime is now 16 days here, which included an install of Mandriva 2008 under VirtualBox.
I'm running Ubuntu 7.10, which has been in-place upgraded from an initial 6.10 install, via another in-place upgrade to 7.04, without any significant pain.
Other than an early version of VirtualBox, which caused a bit of a lockup that I didn't work too hard on getting out of, I've had no crashes... for over a year? (Other than a few power failures.)

dark_mage
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Feb 2008, 8:47 pm

Fedora 3 (didn't let me multiboot my HP laptop) Ubuntu Edgy and Fiesty (6.10 and 7.04 though switching from ubuntu to kubuntu involved two live cd's and a reinstall). Now trying to learn Debian as I don't have upgrade every 6 months with that.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 6:08 am

I use Gentoo and dsl as distroj on my systems, Gentoo on the desktop and dsl on the laptop since you do not want to compile stuff on it (a small program for school which only uses libncurses takes 9 seconds to compile). To my shame, an older computer of mine still has SuSE Linux 9.2. I use fvwm2 as windowmanager there, my laptop has fluxbox and my desktop kde.

Rails
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Apr 2020, 11:14 am

Ubuntu, right now it is Focal 20.04. However I like most things with a Debian base. Mint, Elementary are also choices. :)